Is a person filled with the Holy Spirit when they accept Christ?

Or, the amount of obedience in the believer depends upon the working of the Holy Spirit?

Philippians 2:12-13 NKJV
Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling; [13] for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure.
either or we are commanded to be ye not drunk in access of wine But filled with the spirit. being drunk were controlled by the alcohol. being filled with the spirit we are controlled by the spirit.. so those boasting of being filled with the spirit.. just how filled are they . filled by the spirit no room for any sin/flesh ....
here is the rest of that scripture
19 Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;

20 Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ;

21 Submitting yourselves one to another in the fear of God.

the results of a spirit filled life . looks to me like we have room for improvement of what is leading us / controlling us.

and yes it is God/Christ in us we have just enough as we want or allow

either or we are commanded to be ye not drunk in access of wine But filled with the spirit. being drunk were controlled by the alcohol. being filled with the spirit we are controlled by the spirit.. so those boasting of being filled with the spirit.. just how filled are they . filled by the spirit no room for any sin/flesh ....
here is the rest of that scripture
19 Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;

20 Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ;

21 Submitting yourselves one to another in the fear of God.

the results of a spirit filled life . looks to me like we have room for improvement of what is leading us / controlling us.

and yes it is God/Christ in us we have just enough as we want or allow
Of course there is this when it comes to a 2nd filling as these were believers already...

Acts 4:31 NASB95
And when they had prayed, the place where they had gathered together was shaken, and they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak the word of God with boldness.

No matter how many times we are filled with the Spirit we never completely subdue the flesh.

No matter how many times we are filled with the Spirit we never completely subdue the flesh.
no were not and that is my point. when i hear iam spirit filled. years ago i ran onto a young man that was a carry out at the grocery store w shopped at. every time i saw him he would tell he got drunk in the Holy host . not sure where he is to this day. but back then his service was not up to par

no were not and that is my point. when i hear iam spirit filled. years ago i ran onto a young man that was a carry out at the grocery store w shopped at. every time i saw him he would tell he got drunk in the Holy host . not sure where he is to this day. but back then his service was not up to par

Hello forgiven;

Your post about the young man, proclaiming himself being drunk in the Holy Spirit or spirit filled is because of a lack of training or study of the Word. This man may not have grasped the teaching and understanding from the Bible teacher or Pastor.

The question of this thread, Is a person filled with the Holy Spirit when they accept Christ? is a basic, fundamental teaching of Christianity but to be honest with myself, are many questions and answers that will always be readdressed no matter if we are a new disciple, nominal or seasoned Christian.

Example. Years ago I taught the book of Matthew and the class included a newly saved Christian who attended our Church. She was excited about her new faith and said out loud, "I'm going to save one more person each month!" This didn't happen and she got discouraged.

Another example. Early this month I got very upset at a customer service rep who was sorely undertrained and didn't provide me the service I needed to resolve my account. It was an easy fix but after I hung up I realized I wasn't filled or drunk with the Holy Spirit, but filled with anger in my flesh and had to go into prayer and seek forgiveness from the Lord.

A few days later I called the company again (asking the Lord to fill me by guarding my heart and tongue) and another customer service rep resolved my issue so easily. It was another lesson I learned in dealing with people.

My point is I'm still growing in Christ, falling back and moving forward daily. This is a lifetime discipleship that I will never master and need God's guidance in all I do and say.

This taught me by my imperfect example to be more patience with others and myself with all who strive to walk closer with Jesus daily.

God bless you, forgiven.

This promise...

Acts 1:8 NASB95
but you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be My witnesses both in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and even to the remotest part of the earth."

is exampled here...

Acts 4:31 NASB95
And when they had prayed, the place where they had gathered together was shaken, and they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak the word of God with boldness.
Indicating one of the purposes of the indwelling Holy Spirit.

I asked this question in Sunday School last week, and received a resounding positive response. Me? Not so sure. Key word being "filled" here. We've started in Acts and have discussed Pentecost the past couple weeks.
YES!

John 7:37-39.......
On the last day of the feast, the great day, Jesus stood up and cried out, “If anyone thirsts, let him come to me and drink. Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, ‘Out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.’” Now this he said about the Spirit, whom those who believed in him were to receive, for as yet the Spirit had not been given, because Jesus was not yet glorified.:"

Ephesians 1:13...........
"And now you also have heard the truth, the Good News that God saves you. And when you believed in Christ, he identified you as his own by giving you the Holy Spirit, whom he promised long ago."

The believer has the Holy Spirit indwelt in them at the moment they accept Christ, however the HS may fill the believer over and over and over as He see fits.

Back