Is God A Crutch For The Weak

What did God tell Paul about his weakness?
When we are weak then are we strong. God's strength is made perfect in our weakness. There is no mixing of our own strength with the Lord's strength. It is totally all his power that flows from within us to out of us when we are out of the way.
We have this treasure in earthen vessels so the excellency of the power may be of God and not of us.

I constantly hear this and it annoys me so much. I hate it when people patronize me by saying that "It's ok to believe if it helps you live your life" or "You only believe because you want to. This is sooooo frustrating to me. I think what people need to realize is that I don't believe because I'm weak or can't deal with reality. In my opinion god is REALITY. In fact I would go as far to say that being a christian does nothing to help me with my pain. To me religion is a set of beliefs that comes with rules. It does not help me with "my pain" and it may actually cause even more stress for me.
In this world we will have tribulations, but in Christ we have peace. Our tribulations are only temporary and time limited, yet our peace is for ever eternal and is not contingent on outward circumstances of life.

When we are weak then are we strong. God's strength is made perfect in our weakness. There is no mixing of our own strength with the Lord's strength. It is totally all his power that flows from within us to out of us when we are out of the way.
We have this treasure in earthen vessels so the excellency of the power may be of God and not of us.
Exactly.

I constantly hear this and it annoys me so much. I hate it when people patronize me by saying that "It's ok to believe if it helps you live your life" or "You only believe because you want to. This is sooooo frustrating to me. I think what people need to realize is that I don't believe because I'm weak or can't deal with reality. In my opinion god is REALITY. In fact I would go as far to say that being a christian does nothing to help me with my pain. To me religion is a set of beliefs that comes with rules. It does not help me with "my pain" and it may actually cause even more stress for me.

Folks like that are usually looking to insult you with snide remarks that seem to impart they're hoping to appear concessionary to your faith.
You could always smile and simply say, when they say something like; "It's OK to believe if it helps you live your life."
"My goodness, I feel so much better now that I have your approval." Then smile brilliantly and look them right in their eyes. :D

Back