Is Hypnotism Biblical?

hypnotize54[1].gif

I have been looking into hypnotism for the purpose of losing weight/maintaining weight. i've joined weight watchers and when I do the program , it always works, but i've never finished the program and always always have trouble maintaining my weight loss.

so, i contacted someone who does weight loss hypnosis. The only issue is after researching a little bit about whether or not hypnosis is biblical, i'm having some second thoughts.

I talked to the woman and she basically plays a cd for 30-40 minutes and then gives you some cds to take home with you. The cds are SUPPOSED to put you into a deep relaxation, like deep sleep and then you listen to them, but you can't listen to them while driving.

I'm really wondering now if by going into such a deep state am I opening myself up to things I shouldn't be?

What does the Bible say about hynosis and is it the occult or at least opening yourself up to something you shouldnt?

on another level...it feels kinda like cheating to me, like it's too easy. She said she can give a book where you can lose 9lbs in 3 days, but it's a healthy way. That seems to easy to me and also I know from weight watchers that 9lbs in 3 days isn't a healthy amount to lose, after the first week you usually should be losing 2lbs a week roughly...that is for all healthy forms of weight loss...so it seems too easy like there might be a cost.

what do you all think?

The Bible says absolutely nothing about it.
Hypnotism is the influencing of a persons subconscious mind while they are in
a mental state that is open to suggestion. Hypnotism cvan be voluntary or involuntary, some
are more susceptible to it than others. In and of itself there is nothing wrong with the practice
of hypnotism AS LONG AS THE HYPNOTIST IS RELIABLE.
Truth is hypnotism, is ineffectual for most people. For weight loss, exercise is the best method.
Burn more calories than you take in, you will lose weight. You also gain the benefits of improved
stamina, strength, and heightened metabolism.

Truth about hypnotism is that you allow somebody else to influence the way you think and act which cannot be Godly. Rather let the Holy Spirit influence the way you think and act and weight loss will be come secondary while the Holy Spirit deals with the REAL issues in your life.

The Bible says absolutely nothing about it.
Hypnotism is the influencing of a persons subconscious mind while they are in
a mental state that is open to suggestion. Hypnotism cvan be voluntary or involuntary, some
are more susceptible to it than others. In and of itself there is nothing wrong with the practice
of hypnotism AS LONG AS THE HYPNOTIST IS RELIABLE.
Truth is hypnotism, is ineffectual for most people. For weight loss, exercise is the best method.
Burn more calories than you take in, you will lose weight. You also gain the benefits of improved
stamina, strength, and heightened metabolism.

Not to argue the point with you my friend, but in this case I would have to differ with you.

Hypnosis began as part of the occult and false religion. The Bible speaks out strongly against all practices of false religion and the occult. God desires His people to turn to Him in need, not to those who practice sorcery, divination, or enchantment. He warns His people about following after mediums, wizards, enchanters, charmers, and those who have a familiar spirit (Deut. 18:9-14).

Hypnosis, as it is practiced today, may very well be the same as what is identified as "enchantment" in the Bible (Lev. 19:26 KJV).

In hypnotism, faith is shifted from God and His Word to the hypnotist and his technique. God speaks to people through the conscious, rational mind. He commands individuals as creatures who make conscious, volitional choices. He sent His Holy Spirit to indwell Christians to enable them to trust and obey Him through love and conscious choice. Hypnosis, on the other hand, operates on the basis of imagination, illusion, hallucination, and deception. Jesus warned His followers about deception. After a person has opened his mind to deception through hypnosis, he may become even more vulnerable to other forms of spiritual deception.

Hypnotism seems like it could fall under the category of sorcery. It's incredibly dangerous to fool with the mind in such a way. Skilled hypnotists are apparently able to manipulate a subject's memory, plant false memories.

But then again it does seem to have therapeutic value in helping traumatized people uncover their repressed memories and thus heal them.

"The connection between hypnosis and Eastern mysticism is clear. At varying depths of the hypnotic trance, patients describe experiences that are identical to the cosmic consciousness and self-realization induced by yogic trance. They experience first of all a deep peace, then detachment from the body, then release from identity with one's own small self to merge with the universe, and the feeling that they are everything and have no limitation upon what they can experience or become: i.e., God-consciousness "in which time, space, and ego are supposedly transcended, leaving pure awareness of the primal nothingness from which all manifested creation comes."

- Hypnosis began as part of the occult and false religion. The Bible speaks out strongly against all practices of false religion and the occult. God desires His people to turn to Him in need, not to those who practice sorcery, divination, or enchantment. He warns His people about following after mediums, wizards, enchanters, charmers, and those who have a familiar spirit (Deut. 18:9-14). Hypnosis, as it is practiced today, may very well be the same as what is identified as "enchantment" in the Bible (Lev. 19:26 KJV)."

http://www.rapidnet.com/~jbeard/bdm/Psychology/hypno.htm

I think these are valid points, but I still am having a hard time

the only thing I can do is go back to the basic "what would Jesus do question?" I really don't think Jesus would see a hypnotist even though it's not explicity forbidden in the Bible...but the Bible does say not all things that are permissible are beneficial...I just have to figure out how to tell the nice lady who I've been chatting with that I won't be getting hypnosis i'm terrible with turning people down. Besides, I kinda wanna lose weight on my own merit because I prayed and changed my mind, not because someone else changed it for me...it kinda feels like cheating.

the only thing I can do is go back to the basic "what would Jesus do question?" I really don't think Jesus would see a hypnotist even though it's not explicity forbidden in the Bible...but the Bible does say not all things that are permissible are beneficial...I just have to figure out how to tell the nice lady who I've been chatting with that I won't be getting hypnosis i'm terrible with turning people down. Besides, I kinda wanna lose weight on my own merit because I prayed and changed my mind, not because someone else changed it for me...it kinda feels like cheating.

Jumping off of the Empire State Building is not in the Bible, but is it something we would consider doing ?

Sleeping with a rattlesnake is not in the Bible, but would we do it?

Deut. 18 tells us very clearly what to stay away from and what sorcery and withcraft is.

Now.......how do you tell someone that you are not going to go through being hynotised?

Here are a few. Print them and use them ............

1. NO!
2. NO!

If that does not work......

1. I have read the Bible and have been convinced that to open my mind up would allow the devil to come in.
2. I spoke with an old Christian cote (me) on the internet and he advised me not to to it.

I never wanted to try hypnotism.. It sounds like some kind of disconnect from reality.. Like getting into a trance.. Bible calls us to have sober mind, which would be opposite.. Now, it might be in a different context.. The general theme in Bible calls us to be in a state opposite to that of hypnotism..

the only thing I can do is go back to the basic "what would Jesus do question?" I really don't think Jesus would see a hypnotist

Jesus wouldn't do a lot of things that we do like go to the doctor.

Can hypnosis be used for evil? I'm sure it can be but in this case I don't see a problem at all with it.

I use to astral project and it falls into the same category. It is dangerous and shouldn't be messed with.

I never wanted to try hypnotism.. It sounds like some kind of disconnect from reality.. Like getting into a trance.. Bible calls us to have sober mind, which would be opposite.. Now, it might be in a different context.. The general theme in Bible calls us to be in a state opposite to that of hypnotism..

I had it done in 1968 when I got my front two incisors capped and regretted it extremely. Never again.

I use to astral project and it falls into the same category. It is dangerous and shouldn't be messed with.

You did? So did I. I used it at night in order to escape reality. That and some other stuff. People really don't need drugs; if you want to go that way, it's all available within the body. Freed from that stuff, too. G-d is SO GOOD!

I had it done in 1968 when I got my front two incisors capped and regretted it extremely. Never again.

You did? So did I. I used it at night in order to escape reality. That and some other stuff. People really don't need drugs; if you want to go that way, it's all available within the body. Freed from that stuff, too. G-d is SO GOOD!
Yeah during my pagan days I did a lot of crazy stuff

Hypnosis: The induction of a state of consciousness in which a person apparently loses the power of voluntary action and is highly responsive to suggestion or direction.

I'd say every time we watch a commercial or tv program or movie, listen to music, you're being influences some how that's why the word say to be careful...they have departments studying how to hook you into something. Ever watch a food commercial and you want to eat?

Proverbs 4:20-26 (KJV)
My son, attend to my words; incline thine ear unto my sayings. Let them not depart from thine eyes; keep them in the midst of thine heart. For they [are] life unto those that find them, and health to all their flesh. Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it [are] the issues of life. Put away from thee a froward mouth, and perverse lips put far from thee. Let thine eyes look right on, and let thine eyelids look straight before thee. Ponder the path of thy feet, and let all thy ways be established.

Reminds me of that childrens' song "Oh Be careful little eyes what you see!"

Back