Is it wrong for Christians to use energy therapies?

Hi everyone,
As a born again Christian I'm often warned against therapies based on a belief that we have energy pathways in our bodies. I struggle to understand why. The technique that I've been using involves light tapping with fingertips on meridian points on our bodies while being tuned into a negative emotion. This reduces the intensity of anger/sadness/fear/trauma.. whatever it is that a person is struggling with. When the intensity is down, it is impossible to hold grudges anymore, resent others or mock and judge them, and makes it so much easier to forgive. I struggle to understand how something that helps you sin less can be from an evil source.
I understand that as Christians we want to give thanks to God for every breakthrough we have and this technique for me doesn't in any way mean taking God out of the equation. Can't we see this simple and effective technique as a gift from God? If we reject the notion that there are energy pathways in our bodies (the same way that blood or lymph have their own pathways) do we then as Christians reject quantum physics notion that everything is energy including us?
I would really like to hear strong arguments against techniques like this one to help me decide whether to discontinue using it or not.
Before I became a Christian I wanted to pursue this as a career because I was convinced that it’s the right thing to do and because it helps so many but now I’m so confused….
Please shed some light..
Thanks

Hypothetical:::
I hate this persom to hell and back!!!
I'll come to you for a few therapeutic tappings and proddings instead of turning my problem over to Jesus.

I struggle to understand how something that helps you sin less can be from an evil source.
I have sinned mega big time in the past (probably will in the future too) :(, and my only hope of deliverance rests in Jesus.
Your therapy is going to take my reliance in Jesus away and encourage me to look to you for deliverance.......do you truly want to stand between me and Jesus? Think about it.

I sort of understand what you mean.. but then any therapist who helps people deal with negative emotions or traumas would stand between Jesus and them. What if someone came to me because of physical pain? We could tap on that too. Would it be wrong then? If yes then wouldn't it also be wrong to take a pill when you have a headache and instead turn it to Jesus?
I mean where do we draw the line? Why aren't we allowed to seek relief?

A therapist helps you understand and deal with whatever issues you have.
Pills and such work on purely physical reactions and so on.
What you are describing does not come under any of those categories.
If I am understanding you, you are taking the roll of the healer, and that is where the trouble starts.
Consider acts ch4. an excerpt from which is:
Act 4:29 And now, Lord, look upon their threats and grant to your servants to continue to speak your word with all boldness,
Act 4:30 while you stretch out your hand to heal, and signs and wonders are performed through the name of your holy servant Jesus."
Act 4:31 And when they had prayed, the place in which they were gathered together was shaken, and they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and continued to speak the word of God with boldness.

All the apostles wanted to do was to proclaim the gospel. the while looking with expectation to the Lord for healing and so on.
do you follow this formula?

I will not reply further as I feel led to do other things for the next few weeks as also I have since about april this year.
I hope you do find some additional answers that can speak to your spirit.

That's ok Calvin, still I'll post a reply to what you said.
No, I definitely don't see myself as a healer. That would be delusional. I see it like this: a person comes to a talk therapist and goes over an issue multiple times and each time gets upset talking about it. If they tapped while they talked the upset would go down in intensity and soon it would be a thing of the past. The issue would be resolved much faster.

Here's a link to a scientific explanation why tapping works:
http://www.changeahead.biz/uploads/files/The science and research behind EFT.pdf

My main concern is the energy system of our bodies: can we as Christians accept that we have an energy system just like there's a nervous system, lymphatic, circulatory i.e. just like lymph and blood flow through our bodies can we accept that the energy flows as well even if we can't see it?
More insights, please!

often warned against therapies based on a belief that we have energy pathways in our bodies. I struggle to understand why. The technique that I've been using involves light tapping with fingertips on meridian points on our bodies while being tuned into a negative emotion
If we reject the notion that there are energy pathways in our bodies (the same way that blood or lymph have their own pathways) do we then as Christians reject quantum physics notion that everything is energy including us?
I would really like to hear strong arguments against techniques like this one to help me decide whether to discontinue using it or not.

one thing I observed in a discussion: the problem/topic at a time need to be define clearly…
lest, discussion will be confusing…

reading the OP, note the font in red and underlined

it is unclear what is being discussed/focus on: is it the (a) energy pathway in itself, or the (b)therapy related to it, or the (c) technique on the therapy (d) outcome/expectations...

that is: (a) and (b) can be accepted, but (c) may or may not and (d) depending on clinically tested outcomes...

Depends upon what you mean by wrong.

If you mean is it a sin

You need to search yourself.

If this is consuming your thoughts, and you are looking at everything in terms of energy pathways then yes, I would say it has become a sinful subject.

If, on the other hand traditional medicine is either inadequate, or in some other way unacceptable, and you are exploring other paths, not from desperation, but for a sense of taking control over you own body, than I would say it is probably not sinful.

It’s hard to make conclusive determinations about things that stem from the inner person. So much depends upon the spiritual state of that person.

If it is not a sin then the next consideration would be is it a mistake (or silly – please excuse me if you think this is judgmental) in a physical sense.

There are lots of alternatives to allopathic (traditional) medicine that make little sense in a testable scientific manner (and energy pathways in the body sound pretty non scientific to me).

From homeopathic approaches to acupuncture, there are a wide variety of alternatives.

Acupuncture has been studied, and shown to have at least some clinically demonstrable effects. Your therapy may be in some way related to this. I really do not know in your case.

I would be much more inclined to credit things like this if they could be tied to anatomical features, with is much more than simply charting.

The problem or issue is the placebo effect, where a positive effect is achieved because the patient believed in the treatment. The benefits are real, but stem less from any properties of the treatment than from the belief the patient has in that treatment. This is not to say that it is not real, only that it is not because the treatment itself has any effect.

As far as the link to the ETF, I read it, and looked at a few other websites… Not impressed. My first inclination (and you have little reason to accept my analysis) is that it is mostly junk science. And as far as junk sciences go, there is little of actual science involved in this one. A LOT of the technique is telling yourself that you ‘completely accept and love yourself’. Not a bad message and one designed to make you feel good about yourself. Adding tapping ties that stimulation to your good feelings. This releases stress, which can have real positive effects. All the special locations and ‘ritual’ just add smoke.

Placebo effects are real effects. If it works for someone I have no objection, but it is not because there is some underlying energy pathways.

Hi everyone,
As a born again Christian I'm often warned against therapies based on a belief that we have energy pathways in our bodies. I struggle to understand why. The technique that I've been using involves light tapping with fingertips on meridian points on our bodies while being tuned into a negative emotion.
You don't have meridian points on your body, that is superstition.
This reduces the intensity of anger/sadness/fear/trauma.. whatever it is that a person is struggling with. When the intensity is down, it is impossible to hold grudges anymore, resent others or mock and judge them, and makes it so much easier to forgive.
They could do the same thing with prayer and Christian meditation.
I struggle to understand how something that helps you sin less can be from an evil source.
The source is superstition, false beliefs, and therefore evil. Whether you can use it to achieve some end or other has nothing to do with the issue of it being evil.
I understand that as Christians we want to give thanks to God for every breakthrough we have and this technique for me doesn't in any way mean taking God out of the equation. Can't we see this simple and effective technique as a gift from God?
If it was from God, some one of God's folks would have mentioned it. They have not.
If we reject the notion that there are energy pathways in our bodies (the same way that blood or lymph have their own pathways) do we then as Christians reject quantum physics notion that everything is energy including us?
I reject the notion because it is false. You are using the word "energy" vaguely. That is how folks are deceived, by the use of vague and misleading words.
Before I became a Christian I wanted to pursue this as a career because I was convinced that it’s the right thing to do and because it helps so many but now I’m so confused….
Please shed some light..
Thanks
You want to help folks, become a chiropractor or physical therapist, that is medicine, not hocus pocus.

Hi everyone,
As a born again Christian I'm often warned against therapies based on a belief that we have energy pathways in our bodies. I struggle to understand why. The technique that I've been using involves light tapping with fingertips on meridian points on our bodies while being tuned into a negative emotion. This reduces the intensity of anger/sadness/fear/trauma.. whatever it is that a person is struggling with. When the intensity is down, it is impossible to hold grudges anymore, resent others or mock and judge them, and makes it so much easier to forgive. I struggle to understand how something that helps you sin less can be from an evil source.
I understand that as Christians we want to give thanks to God for every breakthrough we have and this technique for me doesn't in any way mean taking God out of the equation. Can't we see this simple and effective technique as a gift from God? If we reject the notion that there are energy pathways in our bodies (the same way that blood or lymph have their own pathways) do we then as Christians reject quantum physics notion that everything is energy including us?
Please shed some light..
Thanks
I think this is one of the new age philosophies packaged in slightly differently to make it more attractive even for believers!! It is plain wrong. Bible clearly explains human race is fallen. The fall made us mortal beings. If someone says there is something which can make man "better" without God and on their own, it is wrong. Jesus is the source of life. Not some mystic energy path inside us, which does not even exist.

John 6:35 - Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me shall not hunger, and whoever believes in me shall never thirst.
John 4:14 - but whoever drinks of the water that I will give him will never be thirsty again. The water that I will give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life.

As Bible proclaims, Jesus is the source of life. He is the one who can make our condition better. Based on this Biblical truth, we can very clearly see that this energy healing is not Biblical

I sort of understand what you mean.. but then any therapist who helps people deal with negative emotions or traumas would stand between Jesus and them. What if someone came to me because of physical pain? We could tap on that too. Would it be wrong then? If yes then wouldn't it also be wrong to take a pill when you have a headache and instead turn it to Jesus?
I mean where do we draw the line? Why aren't we allowed to seek relief?

As i read your op and all of the messages. This one sticks out at me. In my thoughts you are using worldly ways to compare or try to justify your own desire to accept this practice, or form of releiving pain or stress. If you want to truly find out if this goes against the Word of God, ask Him and search the Scriptures.

God desires and has put into place a way that He wants things done. In my opinion going to a therapist to talk about things that we just should be (are commanded to) automatically forgiving and forgetting is unbiblical in itself. Taking a pill instead of doing what is written in God's Word to live healthy is unbiblical. We as believers have gotten lazy about going to God and His Word to find out how to walk in divine health. Relying on Anything or anyone instead of Almighty God is unbiblical.

Now if one has an emergency and needs a doctor their trust should be in God first to lead and guide the doctor, and that it is faith in God's ability to make things work which is the bottom line. It should not be about putting our faith in a doctor or a procedure instead of God. God is our healer and source of everything. Now i am positive that He has anointed many doctors and given them a gift of wisdom for their field, but their reasons for being in practice is because there is a need for them in the natural world. Ever wonder why the commercials for medications on tv have worse side affects than many of the symptoms themselves? Its because pills is man's way to achieve health and healing without God.

Jesus was beaten severely (reduced to hamburger, and so marred that he was unrecognizable) so that we would have victory over sickness and disease. But a lot of people don't even believe this to be honestly true. And then out of those who believe in Jesus purchasing our healing with His blood.....the majority don't know how to receive the manifestation in their bodies.

So your questions about where do we draw the line, and why can't we seek relief? Sounds to me like you want someone to tell you that what your doing is honored by God, not the truth of the Word. Our relief comes from God. He never once told us to suffer in pain or misery. What He did do was give us the answers on how to achieve the relief from the things that the devil tries to get us to accept as ours, that are in direct opposition to the Word. Walking in love and forgiveness and getting your words to line up with The Word of God, is apart of living in divine health. We draw the line at making God's Word final authority in our lives and if what we are doing does not line up with the Word, then its time to make some changes.

I pray you find your answers
May God bless you abundantly with grace and peace

Ok who has not watched a funny movie when down or depressed from dealing with people at work - knowing that watching the funny movie would pull you out of it ?
In all truth we all have more then likely- Proverbs 17:22 .A merry heart doeth good like a medicine: but a broken spirit drieth the bones.

You get all tense and worked up through the week and your body hurts from stress of the job.
You begin to feel cranky and angry - you stop by your chiropractor and get a work over or massage - stress gone - tension gone - mood changes - So by doing so you have done wrong by God ? Really ? ;)

I am not up to date with this light tapping of fingers However my old chiropractor used this tapping devise called a snapping hammer....

Did you know if your spine is out of whack in many different ways it can cause depression to ADD to severe anger and so forth ? Well it is true.

Now if there was some spiritual worship of other things then God then yea it is against God.
So if I smack my arm on the press and then rub it or put pressure on it to make it stop hurting - then I am going against God ? Many emotions come from pain of many kinds.

To the OP - seek God honestly - let Him show you the truth........
Now if we must chant these chants to this god and spreade food over a deat rat that killed the cat that ate the fish who swollowed the goose egg - then yea - I would question it.

God Bless
Jim

... The technique that I've been using involves light tapping with fingertips on meridian points on our bodies while being tuned into a negative emotion. This reduces the intensity of anger/sadness/fear/trauma.. whatever it is that a person is struggling with. When the intensity is down, it is impossible to hold grudges anymore, resent others or mock and judge them, and makes it so much easier to forgive...
There was a time when I looked into such things as an offshoot of other interests. My specific interest were in kuji-kiri and witchcraft. I was fascinated at how effective some of it was.
More research and examination of the techniques themselves (without going to scripture) showed many fallacies and contradictions that were not evident at first glance.
Make no mistake their is danger in such things and there are demonic influences, but most of the techniques (like what you describe) are simply the result of practical observation and simple manipulation with a high dosage of "spirituality" added to it to make it easier for others to accept.

...I struggle to understand how something that helps you sin less can be from an evil source...
Observation and simple human nature show us that most people actively resist anything that they think is overtly dangerous or evil, but those same people will happily jump in with both feet if the evil/danger is introduced incrementally and mixed with something appealing (like an ancient and/or secret technique).

To use an old analogy...
They say that if you put a frog into a pot of boiling water, it will leap out right away to escape the danger.
But, if you put a frog in a kettle that is filled with water that is cool and pleasant, and then you gradually heat the kettle until it starts boiling, the frog will not become aware of the threat until it is too late.
The frog's survival instincts are geared towards detecting sudden changes.

...Can't we see this simple and effective technique as a gift from God? If we reject the notion that there are energy pathways in our bodies (the same way that blood or lymph have their own pathways) do we then as Christians reject quantum physics notion that everything is energy including us?
From the practical position I suggest trying to figure out how the thing works based on physical effect. As a rule most of the "ancient arts" that have practical effects function on real world observable physics.
If its effects rely only on what cannot be seen or increasing proficiency requires delving deeper into what cannot be seen then it is either rubbish or a gate to demonic influence.

Most importantly from our perspective as followers of Jesus:
Seek His will and wisdom above your own (Proverbs 3:5-6) and consider whether someone else might end up hurt by following your example (Romans 14:13, 1 Corinthians 8).

If you really want wisdom on this, then ask God for it (James 1:5).
Just know that His wisdom and will is quite likely to disagree with what you feel to be right (Jeremiah 17:9).

Hi everyone,
Please shed some light..
Thanks
Most Christians are anti-science and forget that God tells us to learn about His creation. Even the church once said that the earth was flat and scientists once said the universe never had a beginning. For years and years scientist stated that asbestos was the miracle harmless product to keep things from burning, that is until they found out a single molecule can cause lung cancer decades later. Predominant Christian guaranteed that Israel would never exist prior to their birth in 1948. My point is, neither Christians nor scientists have all the information about everything. Only the Holy Spirit can give us the true information and only to a willing heart. Do whatever they Holy Spirit leads you to do. Don't listen to men, listen to God.

All things are made of energy that moves constantly and to a rhythm that can be altered by vibration and harmonic resonance and dissonance.
God is energy and is omnipresent. There are all manner of therapies that promise this and that in balancing your energy fields.

I find acupuncture to be invaluable in my health maintenance. Full body massage also relaxes the muscle tissue and allows for increase in blood flow and cleanses toxins by directing fluid build up to the eliminatory canals, like the lymph. A mini-tramp is a glorious purchase also to help keep the lymphatic organs, located in the groin area and under the arms, flowing. And the tramps are usually able to be found cheaply even at yard sales.

Reiki is one of the most popular energy channeling therapies. Like anything there are those called to healing and those who are in it for the buck. The best way to find out if energy work is for you is to look for a holistic healing bazaar or fair in your area. There you'll find all manner of modalities, (techniques) being practiced for free. Because it promotes the businesses involved in those arts. And that includes schools that train in the art.

Yoga, you don't have to accept the origin religion behind it in order to benefit from the stretching. Which is one of the healthiest things you can do for your-self. Stretch when you wake up in the morning. Take your time, reach and stretch from laying on your back, to switching over and laying on your side and streeeeetchh. Breathe deeply and exhale deeply as you do. You'll feel your body tingle when all that blood flow is activated. Because when we sleep everything slows down because our body is at rest. Stimulate it awake gently with stretches and you'll feel what it is like to start being healthy.

You're a temple of the most high God. Take care of you when the spirit is energy and you are too it is a matter of finding what works for you. And that can be something that makes you feel full and nourished when you practice it. Yoga, aerobics, massage, which is a great healing profession and can be very lucrative, meditation, mentioned in scripture, Pilates (a system of physical conditioning involving low-impact exercises and stretches designed to strengthen muscles of the torso and often performed with specialized equipment.)

Trust God and he will show you how to honor him by taking better care of you. :) God bless you. (hug)

Think of it this way... years ago hippies were going on about crystal rocks and how they put off beneficial frequencies. Hogwash right? But granite and uranium are also rocks that give off radiation (a frequency) and some rocks give off deadly radiation like radon. I'm not condoning anything like that, but just as there are various types of wonders in the universe, there are all kinds of things that affect us, we just don't know of them. Think about it, as Christians we're part of eternity and thereby outside of time, to a degree, and we prophesy. Prophecy is just history waiting for time to catch up with it. Moses' visit to meet with God allowed him to meet Jesus on the Mount of Transfiguration via Mount Sinai! We do not, nor can we know everything. We must ALL live by faith and to the pure all things are pure, and allow the Holy Spirit to teach us. :)

Back