Is job allegorical?

@LanceA Thanks :)

@Brian J. Rivera Job was trying to live a good life for his kids. No one can live a good life for another. His act was not noble, but done in fear. Fear is the opposite of faith. Have you never heard: The house never loses? God knew Job would pull through.

I don't see how job's children sinned or how job was trying to live a "good life for his kids". He just seems to be worried about his children. Also earlier o. It mentions he was god fearing and that was good.

I don't see how job's children sinned or how job was trying to live a "good life for his kids". He just seems to be worried about his children. Also earlier o. It mentions he was god fearing and that was good.
Yep, he was God fearing. But he was worried. You're missing the point. Reread my first post. I don't like repeating myself.

Job was a man that was tested by God where everything was taken from him. In a sense, I do think he was allegorical. God was trying to show us that no matter how He tests us, He always makes sure that it's something that we can handle. I honestly think every important person in the Bible is allegorical. To teach us who we should and shouldn't be like. In my opinion, the stories in the Bible wouldn't have been important if none of it was allegorical.

Job was a man that was tested by God where everything was taken from him. In a sense, I do think he was allegorical. God was trying to show us that no matter how He tests us, He always makes sure that it's something that we can handle. I honestly think every important person in the Bible is allegorical. To teach us who we should and shouldn't be like. In my opinion, the stories in the Bible wouldn't have been important if none of it was allegorical.

I did a lot of reading on the job and I do believe the allegorical interpretation is just as plausible.

Does it matter? It's what you take from the story and what you do with it. If you believe God did Job evil then you've interpreted it incorrectly. Allegorical or real, the story is the same. What are you going to do with the information?

Does it matter? It's what you take from the story and what you do with it. If you believe God did Job evil then you've interpreted it incorrectly. Allegorical or real, the story is the same. What are you going to do with the information?

I don't think it matters either whether or not it's real. Even if jobs children were innocent than what would be the problem? His children would be rewarded in paradise. It kind of reminds me of incidents when people's mothers die and they become atheists. They ignore the fact that they are in heaven. What I draw from it is jobs patience a d faith

I believe that Job is real.
I don’t like the idea that it happened because of Job’s sins because it sounds like these tragic incidents usually happen because of someone’s particular sin. John 9:2-3

Cool thread.

Here is my 2 cents..

Job was real. Job was blameless. In the very first chapter God tells satan Job is blamesless.

I think the whole point of this story, and every story in the Bible is for the glory of God.

God tells satan that his servant Job shuns evil. Satan says it's only because God blessed him, and that if the blessings were taken away he would curse God. However, God knew Job, and He knew Job's faith. So as a demonstration of Jobs faith God allowed Satan to do what he did.

This wasn't about sin, this was about showing Jobs faith in God. Didn't Eliphaz and Temanite believe everything was happening because Job had done something wrong? And God tells them He is angry with them for not telling the truth about Him.

Sorry about that. I was confused with what allegory originally meant. I didn't realize it meant fictional. Instead I thought it meant that it was showing us something. That the REAL stories were symbolic. So forget what I said before. Didn't mean to confuse anyone.

Cool thread.

Here is my 2 cents..

Job was real. Job was blameless. In the very first chapter God tells satan Job is blamesless.

I think the whole point of this story, and every story in the Bible is for the glory of God.

God tells satan that his servant Job shuns evil. Satan says it's only because God blessed him, and that if the blessings were taken away he would curse God. However, God knew Job, and He knew Job's faith. So as a demonstration of Jobs faith God allowed Satan to do what he did.

This wasn't about sin, this was about showing Jobs faith in God. Didn't Eliphaz and Temanite believe everything was happening because Job had done something wrong? And God tells them He is angry with them for not telling the truth about Him.
But if you read further Job admits to sinning. This then takes away Gods blessing on Job, thus allowing Satan to attack him. I agree with you it is a great story of faith, but also a great story of how we can lack faith as well and that lack of faith causes us to fall into sin.

XD just noticed your photo. Anyway i do not hold an opinion and no it would not change my view. In both stories it shows god rewarding the faithful.

Putin rides bears when he's not in the office.

I've always thought all the parables were real stories too, but I'm sure there is a lot of folks that would consider them allegorical.

Putin rides bears when he's not in the office.

I've always thought all the parables were real stories too, but I'm sure there is a lot of folks that would consider them allegorical.

Jp holding actually sent me an email recently and he takes a semi biographical approach. I respect all sides on job and don't consider one more likely than the other.

As for Putin I would buy it. I made my picture by myself when I was like 16.

But if you read further Job admits to sinning. This then takes away Gods blessing on Job, thus allowing Satan to attack him. I agree with you it is a great story of faith, but also a great story of how we can lack faith as well and that lack of faith causes us to fall into sin.

Interesting. Now you have me thinking deeply on the scripture, which is good for me. "Iron sharpens iron"

Yes, in Job 42 we read that Job is repenting, "I abhor myself, and repent in dust and ashes" But, I think he was repenting from the doubt he had after Satan had already attacked him, not before.

I think in this verse it makes it clear:
9 “Does Job fear God for nothing?” Satan replied. 10 “Have you not put a hedge around him and his household and everything he has? You have blessed the work of his hands, so that his flocks and herds are spread throughout the land. 11 But now stretch out your hand and strike everything he has,and he will surely curse you to your face.”

12 The Lord said to Satan, “Very well, then, everything he has is in your power, but on the man himself do not lay a finger.”

Then Satan went out from the presence of the Lord.

I think if Job had read the first chapter of James, he might of understood a little better the purpose of why he had to go through the trials:

From the HWP version - “Aloha!”
1 Aloha! Dis me, James, da guy dat work fo God an fo Jesus Christ, da Good Boss. I writing dis letta fo Godʼs peopo from da twelve Jewish ohana, dat stay scatta all ova da world.

You Like Know Wat Fo Do? Trus God!
2 My bruddas an sistas! Feel real good inside everytime you feel like you get hard time fo do wat God like you guys do. 3 Cuz you know, afta you guys go thru all dat real hard time, an you guys still yet trus God, den dat goin make you guys hang in dea mo betta. 4 Wen you guys hang in dea all da way, dat goin make you guys grow up an come mo strong inside, jalike you suppose to, so dat you guys no need notting moa.

Here's my take... If I was *GOING* to write an Allegory... I would not write Job.... I have read plenty of allegorical tales constructed to be such - and they NEVER go the way Job goes....

One of the interesting things about "Real Life" laments and supplications.... Rarely are they "Scripturally Correct".... When we are feeling ground into dust and wounded and aching inside - we cry out... Those cries are Emotion driven - not intellect driven..... And.. When you hear them, one tendency is to want to fix them up properly so they *ARE* scripturally sound.... "Gosh, let me correct all the nits in this to make it more scriptural".... but that's not the point...

So... here's Job - crying out because he is in PAIN... He is in agony.. His skin is falling off.. He can't eat or drink.... His kids have been killed... His property destroyed... People he counted as "Friends" are spitting on him.... people he helped are dismissing him as worthless.... He is sitting as a outcast - outside of town scraping puss off of his body with a broken piece of a jar... And... To cap it all off - his breath is so bad that it drives his wife away....

And... In this situation, he needs comfort and encouragement more than anything else in the world.... and what does he get from his best and closest friends? He gets knifed in the back... Not just once, but over and over... He gets told that he must be a horrible person, else why would God curse him? And.. His last 3 "Friends" are here - NOT to comfort him, but rather to tell him what everybody else is saying... "That Job - boy, he sure got what he deserved... What a scoundrel".... AND... To add insult to injury, they also "Help" by correcting his lamentations for him.....

The scariest part... Go re-read what his "Friends" say... and think about how much it sounds just like the sort of "Advice" that we often hear people who are down and out getting... I was reading the advice from his friends - and it echos what I have heard so many times.... Well, brother, you just gotta get right with God... Obviously, you must not be Righteous or all this wouldn't be happening to you... You must have some sin in your life or this wouldn't be happening...... but think what God says to those "Friends" in the end - "You have spoken what is not right about Me"......

Interesting. Now you have me thinking deeply on the scripture, which is good for me. "Iron sharpens iron"

Yes, in Job 42 we read that Job is repenting, "I abhor myself, and repent in dust and ashes" But, I think he was repenting from the doubt he had after Satan had already attacked him, not before.

I think in this verse it makes it clear:
9 “Does Job fear God for nothing?” Satan replied. 10 “Have you not put a hedge around him and his household and everything he has? You have blessed the work of his hands, so that his flocks and herds are spread throughout the land. 11 But now stretch out your hand and strike everything he has,and he will surely curse you to your face.”

12 The Lord said to Satan, “Very well, then, everything he has is in your power, but on the man himself do not lay a finger.”

Then Satan went out from the presence of the Lord.

I think if Job had read the first chapter of James, he might of understood a little better the purpose of why he had to go through the trials:

From the HWP version - “Aloha!”
1 Aloha! Dis me, James, da guy dat work fo God an fo Jesus Christ, da Good Boss. I writing dis letta fo Godʼs peopo from da twelve Jewish ohana, dat stay scatta all ova da world.

You Like Know Wat Fo Do? Trus God!
2 My bruddas an sistas! Feel real good inside everytime you feel like you get hard time fo do wat God like you guys do. 3 Cuz you know, afta you guys go thru all dat real hard time, an you guys still yet trus God, den dat goin make you guys hang in dea mo betta. 4 Wen you guys hang in dea all da way, dat goin make you guys grow up an come mo strong inside, jalike you suppose to, so dat you guys no need notting moa.

Mean da post brah :) Dats da kine I'm talkin bout :)

Back