Is suicide a sin?

Staff Comment: Several posts have either been eliminated or modified in this thread. The staff had to ban a new member for conduct issues and all of his posts and copies of his post have been eliminated.

We urge all members to REPORT anyone who becomes confrontational and who does not comply with Forum Rules.

I've had sleepless nights over this because I know I have to face Sarah and give my condolences. I was unsure whether to say your daughter is now in resting in the bosom of the Lord. She didn't come to work today so we have not had the conversation.

The issue is Sarah's daughter who was my age and also a Christian committed suicide. Sarah sent word that she would like to talk to me when she returns to work. I am the same age as her daughter but Sarah is a firm un-believer I don't want to mislead or say the wrong thing because I'm a new Christian and I know nothing.
too

Elizabeth O, as a new Christian, you may not have all the answers. But you have some. You have accepted that Jesus died. That Jesus took and left all of the sins of humanity to the grave. Jesus arose from the dead victorious over sin and death. These are truths that you have accepted. When you deal with Sarah, most important will be listening. listening. listening. Share with her what you do know. Tell her about the Father who knows and loves her daughter (PS. 139). This Father is merciful to save us who are undeserving. While you can't, and no living person can give her a direct answer, you will provide hope and support for your friend at this very tender and sensitive time of need. This will be welcome information for someone who has most likely heard all sorts of things including the determination that her daughter surely would face hell. Everything I read about the Father is contrary to that. Then you can pray something simple. You ask the Father to send the Spirit to provide peace for your friend. Trust that He will help you with the words to the prayer. And, Elizabeth, I pray that the grace and peace of God be with you today, and always. Bob

Is it a sin to die of "cancer" or some other disease? Does a Christian go to hell because of some incurable disease that they die of? Of course, if there was no sin in the world there would be no sickness, or disease.
Mental illness is a disease of the mind, as no one in their right mind would want to kill themselves as it goes against human nature.

Well spoken...and if there were no sin in the world, there would be no need for a savior...for the blood

As a new believer I struggle to find certain verses in the bible to answer my many questions. I recently heard that a Christian had committed suicide and I was wondering if that is a sin. The 10 commandments does not mention it so my question is:
Does God forgive suicide and where is it mentioned in the Bible?
1. Suicide is murder
2. I believe God forgives murder
3. the problem with self murder is you don't have any physical recourse to repentance, you can't go and make amends or even confess it, though I suppose that since you have died you have the possibility of calling out to God, however the problem with this is that if you did not call out to God in your distress while alive, how will you call out to God while dead and
in a dark dark dark place surrounded by evil spirits?
4. so can a Christian be saved who has committed suicide? I would have to say yes. not condoning the act but just making you understand that God will not be pleased
and if God is not pleased about it you could be in big trouble as no doubt that Christian who committed suicide probably is, he or she has rejected any sort of will of God in their lives and future.
5. I think most people commit suicide because they get depressed because they focus too much on their circumstances,
get on a plane and fly to 99 countries in the world and you will find people living in horrible states worse than yours.
Suicide is just another degree of selfishness, self centredness, that is why Jesus tells us to LOVE OTHERS, in other words get out of our own heads.
6. I understand anyone who is suicidal, yes and so do probably everyone who is here , what its like to stare into the darkness and hear the waves crashing on the rocks below
to think about ending your life with just a jump or whatever ways come to mind, we have all been there.
please anyone, if you must commit suicide don't be so shamelessly pathetic as to leave other people in a state of shock to clean up after you, this is EVIL, when people
feel they have to blow their head up all over the bedroom walls for other people to clean up like they were going on holidays, " i'm going now, can someone clean up after me, I'm just so depressed."
its sad and evil.
8. Does God understand? of course, but if you want help you have to ask, ask, ask, ask, ask, ask, wait did you not read that word, ask ask ask, day and night, night and day.

As a new believer I struggle to find certain verses in the bible to answer my many questions. I recently heard that a Christian had committed suicide and I was wondering if that is a sin. The 10 commandments does not mention it so my question is:

A lot of people are saying different things--be careful. We need to know what the bible says. With out a doubt suicide is a sin. "What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's. " While it is not the unpardonable sin, I would not want that to be my last act on earth. God is merciful and just so we know he will judge such an individual righteously However, our job is to follow him to the end.

With that said, the idea that all future sin is forgiven is not found anywhere in scripture. Its taught by many "respected" people, but not found in the sacred oracles of God. Just the opposite is found, 1 John 1:9: "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."

Blessings,
MoG

Last edited:
A lot of people are saying different things--be careful. We need to know what the bible says. With out a doubt suicide is a sin. "What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's. " While it is not the unpardonable sin, I would not want that to be my last act on earth. God is merciful and just so we know he will judge such an individual righteously However, our job is to follow him to the end.

With that said, the idea that all future sin is forgiven is not found anywhere in scripture. Its taught by many "respected" people, but not found in the sacred oracles of God. Just the opposite is found, 1 John 1:9: "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."

Blessings,
MoG

What I hear is a lot of love. Many people have commented because they care enough to try and help you to have peace and understanding. And I agree in some degree to everything I have read. The only thing I would like to add (with a word of caution to some of the many contributors) is...don't be too hasty to pass judgement here. Many suicides result from a mental illness. And in many of these cases, these are victims of a horrible disease in which they had little, or no control over their actions. This is a tragic consequence of a sick, corrupt, and fallen society. This is a problem that is under-addressed in our church communities. People, remember love first.

What I hear is a lot of love. Many people have commented because they care enough to try and help you to have peace and understanding. And I agree in some degree to everything I have read. The only thing I would like to add (with a word of caution to some of the many contributors) is...don't be too hasty to pass judgement here. Many suicides result from a mental illness. And in many of these cases, these are victims of a horrible disease in which they had little, or no control over their actions. This is a tragic consequence of a sick, corrupt, and fallen society. This is a problem that is under-addressed in our church communities. People, remember love first.
You are so right.
Leave judgement to the Lord, and let's practice mercy and compassionate understanding.

You are so right.
Leave judgement to the Lord, and let's practice mercy and compassionate understanding.
'He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good;
and what doth the LORD require of thee,
but to do justly,
and to love mercy,
and to walk humbly with thy God?'

(Mic 6:8)

The only occasion I recall, from Scripture, where someone has taken their own life is in 1 Chronicles 10:4-6.

'Then said Saul to his armourbearer,
"Draw thy sword, and thrust me through therewith;
lest these uncircumcised come and abuse me. "
But his armourbearer would not;
for he was sore afraid.
So Saul took a sword, and fell upon it.
And when his armourbearer saw that Saul was dead,
he fell likewise on the sword, and died.
So Saul died, and his three sons, and all his house died together.'

(1Ch 10:4-6)

* Yet, in this case, the death of Saul is attributed to God's judgement, in verses 13 and 14:-

'So Saul died for his transgression which he committed against the LORD,
even against the word of the LORD, which he kept not,
and also for asking counsel of one that had a familiar spirit, to enquire of it;
And enquired not of the LORD:
therefore He slew him,
and turned the kingdom unto David the son of Jesse.'

* This is not helpful in regard to the enquity in the OP, but is interesting.
We can only commit such to God, Who (only) knows the secrets of men's hearts (Rom. 2:16), and Who will judge justly.

In Christ Jesus
Chris

The only occasion I recall, from Scripture, where someone has taken their own life is in 1 Chronicles 10:4-6.

'Then said Saul to his armourbearer,
"Draw thy sword, and thrust me through therewith;
lest these uncircumcised come and abuse me. "
But his armourbearer would not;
for he was sore afraid.
So Saul took a sword, and fell upon it.
And when his armourbearer saw that Saul was dead,
he fell likewise on the sword, and died.
So Saul died, and his three sons, and all his house died together.'

(1Ch 10:4-6)

* Yet, in this case, the death of Saul is attributed to God's judgement, in verses 13 and 14:-

'So Saul died for his transgression which he committed against the LORD,
even against the word of the LORD, which he kept not,
and also for asking counsel of one that had a familiar spirit, to enquire of it;
And enquired not of the LORD:
therefore He slew him,
and turned the kingdom unto David the son of Jesse.'

* This is not helpful in regard to the enquiry in the OP, but is interesting.
We can only commit such to God, Who (only) knows the secrets of men's hearts (Rom. 2:16), and Who will judge justly.

In Christ Jesus
Chris
Hello again,

I feel it necessary to say, following my previous post, that God does not deal in this manner with mankind at this present time. We are now living in an age of grace, when salvation is open to all who will believe on the Lord Jesus Christ as their Saviour and Lord.

Saul's case was special also, in that he, as God's anointed, had sinned mightily against God, and was under God's judgement in a way that the average man within Israel would not have been, because of the honour that had been laid upon him and the responsibility that came with it.

I say these things because there are those today who take what was peculiarly for the dispensation that is passed and apply it to the present, and have brought misery to many as a consequence.

Praise God! For His mercy and His grace.

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:
Suicide is a terrible sin, our lives belong to God.
I would be inclined to agree with you Flavio. But did you ever stop to think that God is working in, and thru that situation and this was all worked together to complete His divine plan. Compassion is truely a fruit of the Spirit. Can you imagine the pain in the life of the person that comes to this place in life. My heart goes out to them and their family. Such a burden on my heart makes it impossible to pass this judgement. Only God knows the heart of the person who would take his own life. All of us have thoughts such as these. Some of us don't have the control over our minds to get beyond it. I constantly live in the shadow of my own very serious depression and suicidal ideation. I teach a series on that very subject so as to raise awareness of this traumatic epidemic. Flavio, can I count on you to pray for me?

It is a sin. But that is not the question you should be asking. We should ask if the sin committed points to a love or hatred of what is evil. As genuine love for God is to hate what is evil and cling to what is good Rom 12:9.

Having sin / being guilty of sin does not equal hell. This is a common error. People go to hell because they love their sin John 3:19.

I would not say suicide is on par with murdering someone else. I would say it is a major sin but not from a hatred of others / love of what is evil.

The issue I do see with suicide is that it points to a state of one being completely lost. Now that does not point to someone who has the peace of God that surpasses all understanding Phil 4:7. So I would bet on them not being in heaven. Most base their decision / view of this on whether suicide is ok if times are terrible / unbearable. Well of course if that was all there was to it, such a person would not be guilty of eternal punishment. God is not dumb. But clearly there is more to consider. A devout Christian would not commit suicide.

Do not be afraid to say that you don't have the answers about suicide, but that you cry out to the Lord about it, and that you are in deep sympathy with the sorrow they are going through right now.

Suicide spreads its many shades of death, such as destructive thoughts and emotions into the lives of family of friends of people who make that choice.

Whether as a newer or as an older Christian, we can help by our presence to the ones suffering from the fallouts.

I thank God that we Christians have an advocate in Heaven who felt and endured every temptation, including his moment of doubt and pain as he served himself up as a sacrifice for us. Therefore I refuse to bind someone to Hell with my all too human and flawed opinion and words. No, I will not suggest suicide as a godly choice but neither will I make anyone's yoke of following Christ heavier either because a loved one killed themselves. I'm very sure that out of all suicides some are in heaven and some in hell and God did not pick me to judge their eternity.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

The only sin is unbelief the question is whether she was a believer.
The are many scriptuals examples of believers disparing unto death.
Suicide just shows the devil won that battle but he doesn't win the war.
The out come for the Christian is already determined.

Back