Is The Condemnation Of Piercings And Tattoos Old Covenant Law?

I've seen a lot of Christians with piercings and tattoos, but the Bible tells us to not make cuts or get tattoos...

And I also heard that's just the old covenant law.

Is the condemnation of piercings and tattoos old covenant law, or are piercings and tattoos still forbidden? I have a tongue piercing and I will get a navel piercing someday too and I will also get a tattoo of a picture of a polar bear angel.

Unbelief is condemnation...plain and simple...tattoos are nowhere discussed in the Bible and there is NO law against them...it is a non-issue though some today like to make mountains out of molehills straining at the gnats and swallowing the camels whole.

In His love

brother Paul

Actually "tattoo" is not in the Hebrew...qa'aqa' means to make an incision or to imprint but is that really the same thing? Mmmm? I don't know...the pagan groups surrounding them (which God had commanded them not to mix with, neither their cultures and practices) had these things as part of their religious worship of false gods...like cutting themselves for the dead...

I do not think people in our time have religiously required body marks, and people in the west who get a tattoo, are the same thing...some African nature worshipping tribes do however and this would be in violation of this scripture...just my opinion I am sure but I am really proud you used the word to defend or support your question...

brother Paul

Yeah, and it actually only says to get a tattoo FOR the dead... Dead=Demons? I want a tattoo only for decoration.

I don't believe God wants us to mark our bodies with tattoos at all. And so it is unfortunate for those who have already been tattooed before becoming christian but then that would be okay because it was part if the old life and now we are new in Christ. Perhaps just make sure it's covered as much as possible. Just my thoughts.

I don't believe God wants us to mark our bodies with tattoos at all. And so it is unfortunate for those who have already been tattooed before becoming christian but then that would be okay because it was part if the old life and now we are new in Christ. Perhaps just make sure it's covered as much as possible. Just my thoughts.
Why do you believe that?

Yeah, and it actually only says to get a tattoo FOR the dead... Dead=Demons? I want a tattoo only for decoration.

Leviticus 19:28 NASB
'You shall not make any cuts in your body for the dead nor make any tattoo marks on yourselves: I am the LORD.

I was told by someone there was a pagan ritual where people put scars on their body when a loved one passed away (maybe to help them in the afterlife?) but I'm not sure if that's true. If that is the case, then I would think we aren't supposed to get a tattoo for that reason. I don't think any Christians do that though, although I have seen some that have tattoos of loved ones they want to remember. I would think that would be okay but I think it depends rituals the verse is telling you not to perform.

Yeah, I wouldn't see any problem with that regardless of the context of the verse. My wife wants us to get matching verses in Hebrew down our side. I don't know if we're going to actually do it though.

But are angel things by the way any idolatry or New Age? I really like angel things, and I have 1 painting of an angel in my room, 1 poster of an angel protecting a little boy, and a lot of other angel things too.

Anything that is put before God or equal to God is idolatry. There's nothing wrong with liking them though. My wife loves angel paintings.

I have liked tattoos , although not of skulls and that sort, but now they don't interest me. I believe what Lev 19:28 says and i interpret that as it's best not to mark the body in any way. It might be worth noting also that for some there is an addictive element in there . And when you see the extremes that some people go to , as covering their face and body, i find it really sad that people destroy their natural beauty that way. That aside, it is up to the individual if they want a small, discreet tattoo. That is down to them , and i think it also good to take into account that a person's taste can change over time, tattoo's can be dated, and would you like to have it when your old.

Back