IS THE SPECTACULAR BETTER???

Have you noticed in recent years how people seem to be looking more and more for the "Spectacular". In other words.......the bigger the better!

If it is BIG it must be good.
If it is LOUD it must be good.
If all the truckers eat there, it must be good.

When you watch religious TV and you do, have you noticed that what jumps out at you is all the "Emotionalism"?

Now I am NOT denouncing excitement or emotions while at worship services, but FEELINGS should never replace Bible doctrine. Experiences can never be allowed to replace Bible truth.

That being the case.....the question then must be, WHY do we allow it to happen?????

Possibly because of our sense knowledge...when there are strong emotions involved it seems to override logic and truth. And certainly the adversary plays off of that in our lives..... I am thankful for emotions and feelings, but as you stated, you can't let them dictate your walk ...feelings come and go...truth is the anchor that steadies the ship.

good post.

I don't watch religious tv.
but, even though I don't I still have to watch that I don't get carried off by feelings and make unwise choices in the spur of the moment.
just this morning I wanted to hand my notice in. I was sick of my boss. I was looking for other jobs, I was so angry.
I saw a job offer and got excited, "ive found my perfect job" or so I thought.

then the Lord reminded me that there is not perfect job and I calmed down and was grateful for what I do have.

then something better occurred at work which I never expected, which I am doubly grateful for.

flesh comes and goes, Biblical Truth is Eternal

good post.

I don't watch religious tv.
but, even though I don't I still have to watch that I don't get carried off by feelings and make unwise choices in the spur of the moment.
just this morning I wanted to hand my notice in. I was sick of my boss. I was looking for other jobs, I was so angry.
I saw a job offer and got excited, "ive found my perfect job" or so I thought.

then the Lord reminded me that there is not perfect job and I calmed down and was grateful for what I do have.

then something better occurred at work which I never expected, which I am doubly grateful for.

flesh comes and goes, Biblical Truth is Eternal
You realize that there is a difference between "Christian" TV and religious TV.

Have you noticed in recent years how people seem to be looking more and more for the "Spectacular". In other words.......the bigger the better!

When you watch religious TV and you do, have you noticed that what jumps out at you is all the "Emotionalism"?

Now I am NOT denouncing excitement or emotions while at worship services, but FEELINGS should never replace Bible doctrine. Experiences can never be allowed to replace Bible truth.

That being the case.....the question then must be, WHY do we allow it to happen?????

For me, emotions/feelings are "red flags"... they are easy targets of manipulation from the enemy, (as well as media). And I use them like a "stop sign".. to stop and pray, think, and use logic to find out WHY something caused an "emotional" response... what's really going on... (discern, test the spirits, go to scripture, etc.)
And it depends on who "we" is defining.... "we" don't have to participate in such things... set a good example.

For me, emotions/feelings are "red flags"... they are easy targets of manipulation from the enemy, (as well as media). And I use them like a "stop sign".. to stop and pray, think, and use logic to find out WHY something caused an "emotional" response... what's really going on... (discern, test the spirits, go to scripture, etc.)
And it depends on who "we" is defining.... "we" don't have to participate in such things... set a good example.

Agreed. That is exactly my thoughts.

Those who find emotionality an acceptable adjunct to worship should note that Jonathan Edwards emotionlessly READ his sermon "Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God", and the result was the First Great Awakening for English North America. If we rely on emotion to validate our worship, then we place more weight on mob activity than on Scripture.

Those who find emotionality an acceptable adjunct to worship should note that Jonathan Edwards unemotionlessly (and monotonally) READ his sermon "Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God", and the result was the First Great Awakening for English North America. If we rely on emotion to validate our worship, then we place more weight on mob activity than on Scripture.
fixed it.

Those who find emotionality an acceptable adjunct to worship should note that Jonathan Edwards emotionlessly READ his sermon "Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God", and the result was the First Great Awakening for English North America. If we rely on emotion to validate our worship, then we place more weight on mob activity than on Scripture.

Amen!

Emotionalism mixed with religion is a prescription for diaster.

To many people, there is no real preaching when "just sound doctrines". as must also haved 'signs and wonders"

well. on same Sunday can watch Dr Macarthur and hear the real bible, and turn to an other channel to hear Copeland and Hinn, not so much!
you cant even compare the 2 even John has some off the wall belief's. emotions comes through the moving of the holy spirit .. emotions does NOT move the spirit. one can jump scream say amen ptl etc .unless the spirit is in it ,its just flesh a example years ago i was in good church service. after the preaching was over a man spoke up asked the pastor. if he could say something the pastor said if its of he spirit yes.. well the man proceeded to explain how God was going to move him to the next level . it went about as far as the ceiling

If it is BIG it must be good. If it is LOUD it must be good. If all the truckers eat there, it must be good.

Hello Major;

When I read IS THE SPECTACULAR BETTER? reminded me of when God spoke to Elijah in a whisper, not in a thunderous, emotional frenzy.

1 Kings 19:1-18

God's Word teaches us that He also works in small, quiet ways that can humble us with listening ears.

God bless
you and thank you for sharing.

there are church groups who depend on emotions . but i have been in some anointed services with emotions that was the real deal.. i know of one church while the pastor is preaching.. stands p claps very loudly and lots loud amen.. they is some groups are reserved other are not

Hello Major;

When I read IS THE SPECTACULAR BETTER? reminded me of when God spoke to Elijah in a whisper, not in a thunderous, emotional frenzy.

1 Kings 19:1-18

God's Word teaches us that He also works in small, quiet ways that can humble us with listening ears.

God bless
you and thank you for sharing.

Thank you for your support.

Back