Is There Anything In The Bible That Explains Prayer? Help!

There has always been something I was wondering. It happened this weekend with me and my friend. Both of our sons were applying for the same job. It was a basic cashier job at McDonalds. He was praying that his son would get the job while I prayed that my son would get the job.

I am sure there is only one position. If we both pray, how does God decide who to help? Can't prayers also hurt people? I felt guilty praying that my son would get the job because that would mean his son would not. It would also mean a lot of other people would not.

If I pray for success, doesn't someone else lose that success? Isn't it the same if I pray that my son gets the job, the same as praying that my friend's son doesn't get the job?

I'm conflicted and feel terrible, please if there is any bible passage that can shed light on this I would appreciate it.

There has always been something I was wondering. It happened this weekend with me and my friend. Both of our sons were applying for the same job. It was a basic cashier job at McDonalds. He was praying that his son would get the job while I prayed that my son would get the job.

I am sure there is only one position. If we both pray, how does God decide who to help? Can't prayers also hurt people? I felt guilty praying that my son would get the job because that would mean his son would not. It would also mean a lot of other people would not.

If I pray for success, doesn't someone else lose that success? Isn't it the same if I pray that my son gets the job, the same as praying that my friend's son doesn't get the job?

I'm conflicted and feel terrible, please if there is any bible passage that can shed light on this I would appreciate it.

One thing is certain, the attitude of your prayer is limiting of the Lord's scope to bless. What makes you think that you know best? Is the cashiers position the best direction for your son to follow? When Jesus was facing arrest on that dreadful night in the garden what was His prayer? Was it "this is what I want.....make it so" or was it " not as I will, but as you will...let your will be done"?
Luke 22: 39,40,41,42,43. And he came out and went, as was his custom, to the Mount of Olives, and the disciples followed him. 40 And when he came to the place, he said to them, “Pray that you may not enter into temptation.” 41 And he withdrew from them about a stone's throw, and knelt down and prayed, 42 saying, “Father, if you are willing, remove this cup from me. Nevertheless, not my will, but yours, be done.” 43 And there appeared to him an angel from heaven, strengthening him.

To coin a phrase from an old TV series.....'Father knows best', our prayers should be offered up in that same spirit of submission as Jesus had.

Pray that the Lord will open doors of opportunity for your son, and guide him to the right place for him to be.

Jesus explained to not pray like the ones who like to show themself in the streets, but should pray at home. Which you can find in "Matthew 6:5-7". He also explained one example how to pray, which is called "The lord's prayer" "Matthew 6:9-13"

I just want to add the importance of remembering that God works in reverse to our carnal thinking.

Whichever son prayed for the other to get the job, will likely get the job or better.

And you could think, while watching your favorite football team . . . "oh, there's a widow who loves the team who is playing against my team; so if I wish for our team to win, I am wishing that that widow won't be enjoying seeing her team win."

Well, we are told to love our neighbor as ourselves. If I care as much about someone else as I care about myself, I might also be pleased for a man to get involved with my lady love friend, instead of me, because of how good I know she can be for him. But I understand that she is for loving others, also; so I welcome her to love and share with other people . . . as part of my loving them, by means of supporting her loving them > she is helping me love people:)

I am proud of her loving different people. But for some reason she stays with me.

Well . . . maybe if God decides for one son to get the job, this is for loving people, and not only for getting something for himself. To whom something is given by God, this is required of the person, to use it for loving . . . "any and all people" > a cashier can meet and share with and be loving with a lot of people. A lot of relationships can develop.

What are our thoughts on Romans 8:26?

It says, "Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses.
For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought,
but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us
with groanings which cannot be uttered."

It says "we do not know what we should pray for as we ought". This can mean we are paying attention to what is not as good as what we could be thinking about. There is so much more to seek with God, than what I would say a lot of us are concerned about. I often find that, even practically, our Father has things working better than I was trying to do or thinking of doing. I even need revelation in my mind, just to realize what I can do and what is going on, practically! Yes, I need a lot of help!!!

And about the Holy Spirit making intercession "with groanings which cannot be uttered" . . . I consider this means the Holy Spirit prays deeper than words. In love's prayer, we have deeper-than-words communication with our Father. There are things that can't be spoken, in love's communicating. "And this can have more meaning than things that can be put in words."

So, this is an example for us . . . how the Holy Spirit communicates with our Father, with groaning of adoration for our Father and Jesus, and groaning of appreciation and affection for us His children, and groaning of compassion for ones who are not with it in love like we could be, and groaning of caring compassion with hope for any evil person, at all, to become adopted into our family of love.

And it does say to pray in the Holy Spirit > Jude 20-21.

Back