Is This World Real?

Is it less real than Eternity?

In Plato's Allegory of the Cave, this earthly existence we know so well is just a bunch of immaterial shadows passing in front of our eyes. I would say that because this earthly place temporary and passing away before our eyes, it is ultimately unreal. Heaven and Hell are "realer" than this place becausre they are eternal, or at least that's how I see it.

I would call it "contextual" rather than placing it on a continuum of unreal to real. What happens in this world has eternal consequences, so even though elements of it are fleeting, they echo throughout eternity. What we experience here - at least what we are aware of in our experiences here - is a part of a much larger context. So, for instance, there is little value in spending all one's mortal existence accumulating wealth and power, as those will pass away and what will remain is the treasure that has been stored up in Heaven. The treasure stored up in Heaven is the result of what we do in this world. Here is where we "work out our salvation with fear and trembling". Here is where we exercise the faith that pleases God. Here is where we exercise the stewardship of our resources which will be rewarded according to our faithfulness when the Master returns.

Back