Is wearing jewellery with a cross or crucifix a form of idolatry?

I havn't read the whole Bible throughly yet but I know that it states throughout The Bible including verse Leviticus 26:1 which says "You shall make you no idols nor graven image neither rear you up a standing image neither shall ye set up any image of stone in your land to bow down unto it: for I am the LORD your God". Leviticus 26:1

I believe that making graven images of things in Heaven & on Earth is also one of the 10 commandments. I think it was the second commandment.

Is wearing jewellery with the cross or crucifix, may it be a necklace, earrings or bracelet etc a form of idolatry? Is doing this going against scripture? I wear a necklace with the cross on it but I am beginning to believe that wearing a cross or owning a statue etc of the cross, crucifix or even of Jesus alone is committing idolatry. I used to believe that wearing a cross or crucifix around my neck or another form of jewellery was a representation of Jesus dying for our sins but now I am starting to believe that it is the wrong thing to do and I am thinking about removing the cross from my necklace.

If you believe what I am saying is correct, please explain why and if you believe otherwise , why do you believe that wearing the cross or crucifix is not committing idolatry?

Reactions: aha
I have long struggled with this myself. I don't believe it is idolatry unless you are worshipping the jewelry or decoration. This is where a crucifix becomes something very different than just a cross. If you find yourself praying to the cross or crucifix, or feeling that you can't pray to God without it then perhaps it has become and idol.

The question I think we should ask ourselves is whether or not what we are doing is for the glory of God or ourselves. I believe that most people, if they are honest with themselves, are wearing crosses for reasons no different than any other jewelry.

In this day and age when we see cross jewelry and tattoos on hosts of people (famous and not) who are exhibiting lascivious lifestyles; does it stand out as different when the elect wear a cross? Personally, I think if wearing a cross, glorifies God to those around you, or provides a catalyst for evangelism then it is the right thing to do. If you are trying to openly identify yourself as a Christian; I would argue that it should be obvious to others that you are a Christian without cross jewelry.

As a middle ground to wearing or not wearing a cross I have previously carried a small cross in my pocket. I have used this to give me a random reminder to set my mind on God and Christ; whenever I would find it in my pocket I would say a small prayer, or otherwise just take a moment to think about what God would want me to do right at that moment.

I hope this helps and pray for the Spirit's guidance on your journey.

Heisonfirst

I havn't read the whole Bible throughly yet but I know that it states throughout The Bible including verse Leviticus 26:1 which says "You shall make you no idols nor graven image neither rear you up a standing image neither shall ye set up any image of stone in your land to bow down unto it: for I am the LORD your God". Leviticus 26:1

I believe that making graven images of things in Heaven & on Earth is also one of the 10 commandments. I think it was the second commandment.

Is wearing jewellery with the cross or crucifix, may it be a necklace, earrings or bracelet etc a form of idolatry? Is doing this going against scripture? I wear a necklace with the cross on it but I am beginning to believe that wearing a cross or owning a statue etc of the cross, crucifix or even of Jesus alone is committing idolatry. I used to believe that wearing a cross or crucifix around my neck or another form of jewellery was a representation of Jesus dying for our sins but now I am starting to believe that it is the wrong thing to do and I am thinking about removing the cross from my necklace.

If you believe what I am saying is correct, please explain why and if you believe otherwise , why do you believe that wearing the cross or crucifix is not committing idolatry?

No!

Now if a person "worshipped or venerated" a cross, then Yes it word be a form of idolatry. Most all Christians I know who wear a cross to so because they love the Lord Jesus Christ and they identify with His work on that cross for them. It is then an outward expression of an inner feeling toward Jesus just as is water baptism.

I would however advise to not wear a necklace of a cross which depicts Jeus on that cross. Jesus is not on a cross but today He sits on the right hand of God the Father as our one and only advocate.

This is how is personally understand Romans 14

Wear it when people around you don’t mind....
Don’t wear it when people around you mind.... (or even one person who mind, out of LOVE, that is Christian Liberty, it stops when the Liberty becomes a stumbling block)

Just don’t condemn one who wear those who do not wear, and those who do not wear those who wear.

Those who wear it does for the Lord.
Those who does not wear it does for the Lord.
Ahh, to cut my story short :), just replace “eating pork” with “wearing a crucifix”

This is my thought, my opinion, open to refute by those who disagrees…

And I sincerely respect those who disagrees, and I agree with them! : )

Am fully convinced, and everything that does not come from faith is sin.

Last edited:
Romans 14 New International Version (NIV)
14 Accept the one whose faith is weak, without quarreling over disputable matters. 2 One person’s faith allows them to eat anything, but another, whose faith is weak, eats only vegetables. 3 The one who eats everything must not treat with contempt the one who does not, and the one who does not eat everything must not judge the one who does, for God has accepted them. 4 Who are you to judge someone else’s servant? To their own master, servants stand or fall. And they will stand, for the Lord is able to make them stand.

5 One person considers one day more sacred than another; another considers every day alike. Each of them should be fully convinced in their own mind. 6 Whoever regards one day as special does so to the Lord. Whoever eats meat does so to the Lord, for they give thanks to God; and whoever abstains does so to the Lord and gives thanks to God. 7 For none of us lives for ourselves alone, and none of us dies for ourselves alone. 8 If we live, we live for the Lord; and if we die, we die for the Lord. So, whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord. 9 For this very reason, Christ died and returned to life so that he might be the Lord of both the dead and the living.

10 You, then, why do you judge your brother or sister[a]? Or why do you treat them with contempt? For we will all stand before God’s judgment seat. 11 It is written:

“‘As surely as I live,’ says the Lord,
‘every knee will bow before me;
every tongue will acknowledge God.’”[b]
12 So then, each of us will give an account of ourselves to God.

13 Therefore let us stop passing judgment on one another. Instead, make up your mind not to put any stumbling block or obstacle in the way of a brother or sister. 14 I am convinced, being fully persuaded in the Lord Jesus, that nothing is unclean in itself. But if anyone regards something as unclean, then for that person it is unclean. 15 If your brother or sister is distressed because of what you eat, you are no longer acting in love. Do not by your eating destroy someone for whom Christ died. 16 Therefore do not let what you know is good be spoken of as evil. 17 For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking, but of righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit, 18 because anyone who serves Christ in this way is pleasing to God and receives human approval.

19 Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification. 20 Do not destroy the work of God for the sake of food. All food is clean, but it is wrong for a person to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble. 21 It is better not to eat meat or drink wine or to do anything else that will cause your brother or sister to fall.

22 So whatever you believe about these things keep between yourself and God. Blessed is the one who does not condemn himself by what he approves. 23 But whoever has doubts is condemned if they eat, because their eating is not from faith; and everything that does not come from faith is sin.[

Good question alison.

Well I dont personally wear any jewellery except a watch, but that doesnt really have any jewels in it, so...
I dont have that problem. To me jewellery like chains or necklace and bracelets can be a bit like bondage, and I want to be free. Also once i had my ears pierced and it got infected, so I dont want to go through that again. People would give me jewellery but I would either lose it or forget to wear it.

As for other people I dont judge them on what they wear or dont wear. To me a christian doesnt need to wear a cross to be a christian. Gods glory shines in their eyes and their good works, which Paul and James said women are adorned with an ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, rather than pearls and fine clothes.

One day went to an expo with a friend of mine who is a christian and we passed a jewellery display and she was looking at some cross necklaces and she asked me where was mine, but I said I dont have one. I didnt know you were supposed to have one as a christian. I think its more of a catholic thing, like nuns have them. This is not to say catholics arent christians its just a requirment of their church, but its not said in scripture that every believer has to wear a cross necklace. Btw she is not a catholic, but she does go to a more traditional anglican church.

Sorry it wasnt james although he did say about gold and silver in chapter 5

Have a look at 1 Peter 3:1-5
And 1 timothy 2:9-10

Although these mean women but men can wear jewellery too. The cross as a symbol can mean different things like to my mum it reminds her of a cemetery and she once got rid of a plaque that had a cross on it, but I found another one that said as for me and my house I will serve the Lord. And she didnt try to get rid of that one.

I dont worship the cross its just a reminder, but a crucifix with the image of dying Jesus on it, I can see how some people might idloize it or use it as a charm, that is quite different. I know some people might talk to those images, statues or paintings as if they are Jesus himself, but its only a piece of gold or carving. Idolators would bow down before a statue and give it offerings I have seen that done in buddhism and hinduism. So even if its meant to be a statue representing Jesus, to me its the same, they are worshipping an image of clay or stone or wood.

In revelation its said people worship an IMAGE of the beast. Not the beast itself but note that the beast gets people to worship an image.

Hi Alison. It's great that you are reading your bible, seeking to learn, and asking questions.

I wear very little jewelry personally. My son gave me a widows-might necklace as a gift a few years ago. I absolutely love this necklace and wear it daily.
He also gave me a lovely gold and silver James Avery bracelet for Christmas a few years ago. i have a dove, crosses, angels and other christian charms along with oilfield charms and cooking charms. I don't feel any of these charms are forms of idolatry. I do not worship the bracelet or the necklace.

Idolatry means worship of idols and extreme admiration, love, or reverence for something or someone.

A person could find themselves in idolatry in glorifying other people (Hollywood people or people they revere and look up to).
A person could also glorify money and worship money and find themselves in idolatry to money and all the glory they feel it brings them.
I have heard some people who worship their preachers. Their preachers are men and not Jesus. There are so many examples of idolatry.

We are not called to glorify and worship anything or anyone other than Jesus Christ. God's desire is for us to worship Him and Him alone.
All throughout the New Testament you can read how God loved Israel and how is covenant related to worship of Him alone and no other.
I am currently reading in 2 Kings. All throughout these books it talks about the destruction of Israel because their current king was evil in the site of the Lord. He would allow his people and himself to worship other Gods.

With that said idolatry can also extend into a matter of the heart, pride, greed, gluttony, being self-centered, love of a possession, etc.

I personally do not feel wearing a cross is idolatry for me because I do not worship the cross. You need to search your own heart and see where it takes you regarding the necklace. It does not sound like you idol the necklace, but that is for you to understand and find out.

God is for you, He is not against you. As you search for Him and continue to seek Him the Holy Spirit will guide you into all understanding.
Your question about the necklace is a perfect example of your question the other day about the knowing the Holy Spirit. Go to the Holy Spirit and seek His guidance into your question about this necklace. The Holy Spirit will tell you the truth and What God says is far more important than what any man can say.

Please stay in touch and let us know what happens as the Holy Spirit begins to reveal himself to you and leads you into all truths.
Have a wonderful holiday weekend.

Jewelry (especially for a female) sometimes carry a special meaning (such as a crucifix) or for many others are just used for enhancements of ones appearance.
There is nothing wrong with this, for it is written that we are not to make unto ourselves graven images (things that are to be worshiped), so unless you "Worship" the crucifix, there is nothing wrong with wearing it.
Having a crucifix or some other item to reflect upon during our daily walk to help keep us focused is acceptable for they just remind us of the great work of Christ in securing our salvation.
That's all.

God Bless

JTF

Back