It is most critical that you understand the parables of Jesus!

When Jesus gave His parables, He kept asking, “Do you understand?”
Yes, it is most critical at this late hour that we understand His parables!
Let us look closely at one of them …

Matthew 13:24-30 (AMP, 2015 edition) --- Jesus’ Parable of the Wheat and Weeds
24 The kingdom of heaven is like a man who sowed good seed in his field.
25 But while he was sleeping, his enemy came and sowed also darnel
(weeds resembling wheat) among the wheat, and went on his way.
26 So when the plants sprouted and formed grain, the darnel (weeds) appeared also.
27 And the servants of the owner came to him and said,
Sir, did you not sow good seed in your field? Then how does it have darnel shoots in it?
28 He replied to them, An enemy has done this.
The servants said to him, Then do you want us to go and weed them out?
29 But he said, No, lest in gathering the wild wheat (weeds resembling wheat),
you root up the [true] wheat along with it.
30 Let them grow together until the harvest; and at harvest time I will say to the reapers,
Gather the darnel first and bind it in bundles to be burned, but gather the wheat into my granary.

••• NASB footnote: “darnel, a weed resembling wheat”

Matthew 13:37-43 (NLT) --- Jesus’ Explanation of His Parable of the Wheat and Weeds
37 The Son of Man is the farmer who plants the good seed.
38 The field is the world, and the good seed represents the people of the Kingdom.
The weeds are the people who belong to the evil one.
39 The enemy who planted the weeds among the wheat is the devil.
The harvest is the end of the world, and the harvesters are the angels.
40 Just as the weeds are sorted out and burned in the fire, so it will be at the end of the world.
41 The Son of Man will send his angels, and they will remove from his Kingdom
everything that causes sin and all who do evil
42 And the angels will throw them into the fiery furnace,
where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
43 Then the righteous will shine like the sun in their Father’s Kingdom.
Anyone with ears to hear should listen and understand!

••• The NASB states the underlined above like this:
41 “they will gather out of His kingdom all stumbling blocks, and those who commit lawlessness”
••• The Amplified Bible (2015 edition) states the underlined above like this:
39 “The harvest is the close and consummation of the age”
“they will gather out of His kingdom all causes of offense
[persons by whom others are drawn into error or sin] and all who do iniquity and act wickedly”
“Let him who has ears [to hear] be listening,
and let him consider and perceive and understand by hearing.”

Above we see Jesus saying: Satan plants false believers into God’s Kingdom,
who will be thrown out of His Kingdom into the eternal fire, and these are:
• those who cause sin
• those do evil
• those who cause offense
• those who draw others into error (doctrinal errors?)
• those who draw others into sin
• those who do iniquity
• those who act wickedly

Please note: Jesus’ dire warnings about SIN are carried on by Paul and the other NT epistle writers!

“Do not let sin control the way you live; do not give in to sinful desires.
… Instead, gives yourselves completely to God, for you were dead, but now you have new life.
… Don’t you realize that you become the slave of whatever you choose to obey?
You can be a slave to sin, which leads to (eternal) death, or you can choose to obey God,
which leads to righteous living. … Now you must give yourselves to be slaves to righteous living
so that you will become holy.” (Romans 6:12-19, NLT)

••• “new life” – “born from above” believers (with a new nature and the indwelling Holy Spirit) are
no longer slaves of sin; they no longer have to sin; now they are able to choose to sin or not to sin!

I just completed a pretty long series in my Sunday School class about some of the parables. I think they can be confusing. :) But, looking the over in a group certainly helped me!

When Jesus gave His parables, He kept asking, “Do you understand?”
Yes, it is most critical at this late hour that we understand His parables!
Let us look closely at one of them …

26 So when the plants sprouted and formed grain, the darnel (weeds) appeared also.
27 And the servants of the owner came to him and said,
Sir, did you not sow good seed in your field? Then how does it have darnel shoots in it?
28 He replied to them, An enemy has done this.
The servants said to him, Then do you want us to go and weed them out?
29 But he said, No, lest in gathering the wild wheat (weeds resembling wheat),
you root up the [true] wheat along with it.
30 Let them grow together until the harvest; and at harvest time I will say to the reapers,
Gather the darnel first and bind it in bundles to be burned, but gather the wheat into my granary.

••• NASB footnote: “darnel, a weed resembling wheat”

Matthew 13:37-43 (NLT) --- Jesus’ Explanation of His Parable of the Wheat and Weeds
37 The Son of Man is the farmer who plants the good seed.
38 The field is the world, and the good seed represents the people of the Kingdom.
The weeds are the people who belong to the evil one.
39 The enemy who planted the weeds among the wheat is the devil.
The harvest is the end of the world, and the harvesters are the angels.
40 Just as the weeds are sorted out and burned in the fire, so it will be at the end of the world.
41 The Son of Man will send his angels, and they will remove from his Kingdom
everything that causes sin and all who do evil
42 And the angels will throw them into the fiery furnace,
where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
43 Then the righteous will shine like the sun in their Father’s Kingdom.
Anyone with ears to hear should listen and understand!

••• The NASB states the underlined above like this:
41 “they will gather out of His kingdom all stumbling blocks, and those who commit lawlessness”
••• The Amplified Bible (2015 edition) states the underlined above like this:
39 “The harvest is the close and consummation of the age”
“they will gather out of His kingdom all causes of offense
[persons by whom others are drawn into error or sin] and all who do iniquity and act wickedly”
“Let him who has ears [to hear] be listening,
and let him consider and perceive and understand by hearing.”

• those who cause sin
• those do evil
• those who do iniquity
• those who act wickedly

Please note: Jesus’ dire warnings about SIN are carried on by Paul and the other NT epistle writers!

“Do not let sin control the way you live; do not give in to sinful desires.
… Instead, gives yourselves completely to God, for you were dead, but now you have new life.
… Don’t you realize that you become the slave of whatever you choose to obey?
You can be a slave to sin, which leads to (eternal) death, or you can choose to obey God,
which leads to righteous living. … Now you must give yourselves to be slaves to righteous living
so that you will become holy.” (Romans 6:12-19, NLT)

••• “new life” – “born from above” believers (with a new nature and the indwelling Holy Spirit) are
no longer slaves of sin; they no longer have to sin; now they are able to choose to sin or not to sin!
Greetings Samuels
It's Not just planting un-believers in our path as it is un-belief and doubt and so many other thoughts ment to tare you down and destroy your faith.
Blessings
FCJ

Samuels:
• those who cause sin
• those do evil
• those who do iniquity
• those who act wickedly
Hello Samuel's,

With respect, I believe your list is incorrect, for the wording of the parable is not adhered to. This may seem 'picky', but error can creep in this way. Look at what is actually said in the explanation of the parable, by our Lord (vv.36-43). Then compare your list, and you will see what I mean.

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Raf: (Matthew 13:24-30 & 36-43)

Hello Samuel's,

With respect, I believe your list is incorrect, for the wording of the parable is not adhered to. This may seem 'picky', but error can creep in this way. Look at what is actually said in the explanation of the parable, by our Lord (vv.36-43). Then compare your list, and you will see what I mean.

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Raf: (Matthew 13:24-30 & 36-43)
Greetings Complete
Because it is easy in a forum type situation to take something said in love or with no harshness and Read It as harsh or mean.

In a situation such as you are bringing up, it would probably be better to list what you are talking about and compared to scripture.

This goes a long way !
Blessings
FCJ

The kingdom parables are a perfect example of where I would love to punch the disciples right in the nose.... With all Christian love of course. ;)

Jesus asks "do you understand?" And they just nod and say "Yep, got it" ..... And they were probably arguing again about who would be the greatest and had no idea what he was even asking about..... Just like when the teacher busted you when you were talking with your buddy about the baseball game last night.

And for the last 2,000 years, we have been arguing constantly about all of them....

I think that's probably one of the best indicators that we really have no idea. Though of course we think we do.... ;)

Thanks

Complete
Thank you so very much for your understanding heart. That speaks mountains about you and that is a good thing.

Have a very blessed day and may we all follow your attitude in everything we do.
Blessings
FCJ

Amen

The kingdom parables are a perfect example of where I would love to punch the disciples right in the nose.... With all Christian love of course. ;)

Jesus asks "do you understand?" And they just nod and say "Yep, got it" ..... And they were probably arguing again about who would be the greatest and had no idea what he was even asking about..... Just like when the teacher busted you when you were talking with your buddy about the baseball game last night.

And for the last 2,000 years, we have been arguing constantly about all of them....

I think that's probably one of the best indicators that we really have no idea. Though of course we think we do.... ;)

Thanks

I agree.

The kingdom is like a man who had sown
Wheat in his field to reap after it's grown
But while still seed an enemy came
To sow weeds in the field that looked quite the same
The man's servant offered to pull the weeds out
But he might pull the wheat just as it sprout
No, safer to let the two grow together
And in harvest to reap in just the right weather
Put the wheat in the barn, tie the weeds to be burned.
Now let us consider what lesson we learned.

Jesus is sowing his seed on the earth
But the weeds are the ones whom the devil gave birth.
Difficult at times to distinguish the two,
Between a false Christian and one who is true.
When they are young they have only roots.
But you shall know them by their fruits.
The weeds will not last, they will be thrown out
Into a furnace in anguish no doubt.
But the righteous will shine just like the Son.
But of these two seeds, you are which one?

This needs to be taken deeper as well.
Thoughts Are Seeds.
The enemy sows lots of them daily, But if one is not in the habit of casting down All thoughts that don't line up with the Word of God......Then those Seed Thoughts begin to Grow and Choke out His Word.

These thoughts do Not come painted red with horns and smelling like sulfur. No ! These thoughts are Tailored Specifically for each individual and if you are Not built up in His most Holy Word then you won't even notice that these thoughts are not Good or from God.

Yes they seem very good far too many times.....
Proverbs 14:12
There is a way that appears to be right, but in the end it leads to death.
Proverbs 16:25
There is a way that seems right to a person, but eventually it ends in death.

Now this Death Also falls under
John 10:10
The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.

So these seeds sown (thoughts) by the enemy can and will Steal the word.......to destroy the power of God in and working through you and Kill any fruit of your Christian walk, Growth and so forth and Destroying any chance of Fulfilling what God called you to do.

The simple way is to see this as other people
The Godly way is to see this in yourself.
Blessings
FCJ

I've always wondered why the disciples had the parables explained to them, while the hundreds of those following Jesus as He went about were left in their ignorance.

To me it seemed that if one were not to be endued with understanding and a ready intellect, there was less of an easy path to the Kingdom. Jesus said that to follow Him was easy. But it's a bit like a racing cyclist telling a five-year old that he will find it easy to ride a cycle. "Just get on and away you go". Crash.

I can't remember a time when I didn't have a clue as to the teaching of the parables, but I suppose more than eighty years ago I didn't let it worry me. But if I had died then, what would be my position at the Judgement ? It is a blessing to (think that we) understand the meaning of the parables, but is no allowance made for mental disabilities ?

For some people it's a worry on some days, and not any worry on others.

It can be confusing at first. But then you realize Jesus aimed it for us to understand why! In mind, soul, and heart.

[QUOTE="Smiler, post....
"I've always wondered why the disciples had the parables explained to them, while the hundreds of those following Jesus as He went about were left in their ignorance.

When we read Matthew 13, we find that the people of Israel had the power to believe and understand, but that they chose to close their eyes and harden their hearts to the truth... The disciples made the choice to follow Jesus at all costs, and if they didn't understand they asked.

Jesus has given that very same opportunity to us as well. We have the Holy Spirit Whom resides within us, and He being the Spirit
Of truth, Jesus in John 14, promises that He will guide us into all truth. And in James 1:5 we are told that if we seek wisdom all we have to do is ask. Couple that with other verses like Joshua 1:8 and Mark 11:24 And several in John, a believer can be assured that our answers will come when we seek for them.

To me it seemed that if one were not to be endued with understanding and a ready intellect, there was less of an easy path to the Kingdom. Jesus said that to follow Him was easy. But it's a bit like a racing cyclist telling a five-year old that he will find it easy to ride a cycle. "Just get on and away you go". Crash......I know it can seem that way, but if we will read and meditate upon the Word of God, and do what it says, then it is easy like Jesus said it was. The hard part for many is taking the time to build a relationship with the Savior and to learn to discipline our fleshly nature to be exactly like the Word says. It takes practice and resisting the enemy when he attacks or whispers in our ear, things contrary to the Word. It takes crucify ing the flesh and willingly taking up our cross to follow Him.

Many people don't want to give up their worldly lifestyle or ways of doing things, they want to hang onto the darkness instead of walking in the light that God gives them. The Bible promises that if we will walk in the light that we have, more will be given unto us. More understanding, and more talents and more wisdom.

I can't remember a time when I didn't have a clue as to the teaching of the parables, but I suppose more than eighty years ago I didn't let it worry me. But if I had died then, what would be my position at the Judgement ?.....God only would have held you accountable for the light that you had. Plus the Blood of Jesus cleanses us when we repent of sin.
It is a blessing to (think that we) understand the meaning of the parables, but is no allowance made for mental disabilities ?...... God knows and understands those whom have mental disabilities. I believe that they are classified with small children and babies. And they go to heaven. Other types of mental disabilities like bi-polar or depression are not things that affect our salvation. One still has to accept Jesus as Lord, for their understanding is in tact.
Once we accept Jesus as Lord, it's a choice to follow in His ways or not. If we had not any understanding, or didn't care to seek for any in regards to the parables, then I believe one still gets into heaven, but it will be like one who barely escapes the flames (1 Corinthians 3:15).

For some people it's a worry on some days, and not any worry on others.....This is a sad thought for the multitudes of believers out there. To think of all that they are missing out on because the enemy has them trapped in some kind of darkness.

Blessings to you Smiler. God loves you!

Thank you, Cturtle, for all you say, here and elsewhere.

I've been mulling over the thoughts presented on this thread, and I find there seem to be several circular arguments, giving the feeling that there is something fundamental which we are discussing here.

We have come to be considering the eons of human existence which might be mirrored in the growing to adolescence of one person, and trying to take into account the acknowledged presence of the Holy Spirit and the teachings of Jesus.

Throughout the millennia, understanding of the sensed but unseen spiritual realm has been increasing, and there have been increasing benefits, the most wonderful of which was the birth of Jesus. Comfort, healing, courage and understanding have been increasingly available, and now our understanding, a gift we think we most need, is what leads us even further.

Really, though. there is an aspect of understanding which is most important, and that is an aspect dealt with at length in the Scriptures, Wisdom, the application of understanding.
When we are granted Wisdom, we shall interpret Scripture in the way that Jesus explained his parables to the disciples.

Thank you, Cturtle, for all you say, here and elsewhere.

I've been mulling over the thoughts presented on this thread, and I find there seem to be several circular arguments, giving the feeling that there is something fundamental which we are discussing here.

We have come to be considering the eons of human existence which might be mirrored in the growing to adolescence of one person, and trying to take into account the acknowledged presence of the Holy Spirit and the teachings of Jesus.

Throughout the millennia, understanding of the sensed but unseen spiritual realm has been increasing, and there have been increasing benefits, the most wonderful of which was the birth of Jesus. Comfort, healing, courage and understanding have been increasingly available, and now our understanding, a gift we think we most need, is what leads us even further.

Really, though. there is an aspect of understanding which is most important, and that is an aspect dealt with at length in the Scriptures, Wisdom, the application of understanding.
When we are granted Wisdom, we shall interpret Scripture in the way that Jesus explained his parables to the disciples.

Well said my brother!

'All these things spake Jesus unto the multitude in parables;
and without a parable spake He not unto them:
That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, saying,
"I will open my mouth in parables;
I will utter things which have been kept secret
from the foundation of the world."'

(Mat 13:34,35)

Here in Matthew 13:34,35 our Lord makes it clear that His teaching by means of parables is a fulfillment of prophecy.
The Lord Jesus Christ quotes from Psalm 78:2, in relation to this, and so we should expect to find some help in that Psalm to guide us to the right understanding and the purpose of the parables.

'I will open my mouth in a parable:
I will utter dark sayings of old: ... '

(Psa 78:2)

Here parables are called 'dark sayings', and Psalm 78 concerns the history of Israel from Moses to David, and shows the inner reasons for their failures, eg., verses 9,10:- 'The children of Ephraim, armed, carrying bows, turned back in the day of battle'. (Why?) 'They kept not the covenant of God, and refused to walk in His law.' From this we may infer that a parable urges us to consider deeply the ways of God with His people, and to look for the hidden causes and workings which are hidden from the eyes of the uninstructed.

The first occurrence of the word 'parable' in the New Testament is in Matthew 13:3. It follows that chapter in which culminates the rejection of the Messiah by the people of Israel in the land. He had been heralded as their Messiah and King. He had vindicated this claim by the fulfillment of numerous prophecies regarding His Person and His works, and in chapter 12:6,41,42, although greater than,
'the temple', greater than 'the prophet Jonah,'and greater than 'king Solomon', He is yet 'despised and rejected'.(Matthew 13:1-17).

This is the setting for the first occurrence of the word parable in the New Testament. The parables were used when Israel manifested that the prophecy of Isaiah 6:10 with its blindness and hardness of heart was fulfilled in them. The parables were not used to make the teaching plainer,
but to veil the teaching from the majority who were rejecting it. The parables relate to the secrets of the Kingdom. They teach things hitherto 'kept secret since the foundation of the world.' (Matthew 13:35). Prophets desired to see and hear these things, as Matthew 13:17 and 1 Peter 1:10-12 tell us.

'Searching what, or what manner of time
the Spirit of Christ which was in them did signify,
when it testified beforehand the sufferings of Christ,
and the glories that should follow'

Here, as in the majority of the Old Testament prophecies, no break is made between the sufferings and the glory of Christ. No interval is allowed between
'the acceptable year of the Lord, and the day of vengeance of our God' (Isa. 61:2, Luke 4:19). The rejection of God's King was only partly seen: the abeyance of the kingdom was a secret. So we may place the two passages together:

'I will open my mouth in parables. I will utter things which have been kept secret since the overthrow of the world.' (Matt. 13:35)
'Why speakest Thou in parables? Because it is given unto you to know the secrets of the kingdom of the heavens, but to them it is not given' (Matt. 13:10,11)

Everything leads us to expect that just as in Psalm 78, we shall find in these parables some of the inner workings of God's counsel's relative to His purposes in Israel, and that to introduce the doctrinal teaching of the gospel of the grace of God, or the dispensational teachings of the Mystery which is not a subject of revelation until over 30 years later (Eph. 3:1-10), will be to confound things which differ, and to fail to rightly divide the Word of truth.

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:
Christ used parables to get a story across. For others to understand we can either accept or reject Christ. Accepting Him is eternal life. Rejecting Him is eternal separation.

I've always wondered why the disciples had the parables explained to them, while the hundreds of those following Jesus as He went about were left in their ignorance.

To me it seemed that if one were not to be endued with understanding and a ready intellect, there was less of an easy path to the Kingdom. Jesus said that to follow Him was easy. But it's a bit like a racing cyclist telling a five-year old that he will find it easy to ride a cycle. "Just get on and away you go". Crash.

I can't remember a time when I didn't have a clue as to the teaching of the parables, but I suppose more than eighty years ago I didn't let it worry me. But if I had died then, what would be my position at the Judgement ? It is a blessing to (think that we) understand the meaning of the parables, but is no allowance made for mental disabilities ?

For some people it's a worry on some days, and not any worry on others.
Hello Samuels,

You say that you '... have always wondered why the disciples had the parables explained to them, while the hundreds of those following Jesus as He went about were left in their ignorance.'

Yes, I can understand why you should wonder about this, but looking at Matthew 13, and the words of verses 13-15, we have the answer, don't we? For in response to the disciples question, 'Why speakest thou unto them in parables?', our Lord answers with the words,

'Therefore speak I to them in parables:
because they seeing - see not;
and hearing - they hear not,
neither do they understand.'

I agree that this seems unfair at first glance, but this is a figure of speech, and means, 'they are determined not to hear and not to see.' This takes away all thoughts of unfairness, doesn't it, Samuels? This reminds me of the words of John 2:24,25:-

'But Jesus did not commit Himself unto them,
because He knew all men,
And needed not that any should testify of man:
for he knew what was in man.'

Praise His Name!

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Back