Jacob wrestling with The Angel (or Lord)

I have seen many applications for this passage to say how God would break our self dependance, how Lord would fight our old, how we should pursue blessings and so forth.. But I look at all these as application and not interpretation..

What is your interpretation of this passage? Why would Jacob just like that start a wrestling match? If it was pre-incarnate Christ, was He really not able to overcome Jacob? Why would the Angel break Jacob's hip? What is the interpretation without application? :D

He wrestles with an angel at Peniel, where he is called Israel
24 And Jacob was left alone; and there wrestled a man with him until the breaking of the day. 25 And when he saw that he prevailed not against him, he touched the hollow of his thigh; and the hollow of Jacob's thigh was out of joint, as he wrestled with him. 26 And he said, Let me go, for the day breaketh. And he said, I will not let thee go, except thou bless me. 27 And he said unto him, What is thy name? And he said, Jacob. 28 And he said, Thy name shall be called no more Jacob, but Israel: for as a prince hast thou power with God and with men, and hast prevailed. 29 And Jacob asked him, and said, Tell me, I pray thee, thy name. And he said, Wherefore is it that thou dost ask after my name? And he blessed him there. 30 And Jacob called the name of the place Peniel: for I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved.

Jacob becomes Israel and his 12 sons are the Patriarchs of all 12 tribes that becomes the nation of Israel.
Here in a paragraph is contained the history of Israel's relationship with their LORD and GOD. The Children of Israel would always be wrestling with their faith, their obedience and loyalty. Israel would be blessed, but in many ways have her hip out of joint. That is her walk with the LORD would not always be upright and steady.
Israel was to be the head and not the tail. She as a nation was to mighty in righteousness and the oracles of God through the Law and the Temple. But, as we know it all ended in tears. The name Israel means "to rule and prevail with God" - except for a short period under King David and Solomon they never really fulfilled this namesake.
"I will not let thee go, except thee bless me." This certainly represents the tenacity of the Jews to hold onto their faith and traditions, despite centuries of persecutions, slaughter, burnings, and dispersal amongst the nations. Remember Jews have 4,000 of history from Abraham.

Back