James 2:1-4

James 2:1-4 King James Version (KJV)
2 My brethren, have not the faith of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Lord of glory, with respect of persons.
2 For if there come unto your assembly a man with a gold ring, in goodly apparel, and there come in also a poor man in vile raiment;
3 And ye have respect to him that weareth the gay clothing, and say unto him, Sit thou here in a good place; and say to the poor, Stand thou there, or sit here under my footstool:
4 Are ye not then partial in yourselves, and are become judges of evil thoughts?

James 2:1-4 The Voice (VOICE)

2 My brothers and sisters, I know you’ve heard this before, but stop playing favorites! Do not try to blend the genuine faith of our glorious Lord Jesus, the Anointed One, with your silly pretentiousness.2 If an affluent gentleman enters your gathering wearing the finest clothes and priceless jewelry, don’t trip over each other trying to welcome him. And if a penniless bum crawls in with his shabby clothes and a stench fills the room, don’t look away or pretend you didn’t notice—offer him a seat up front, next to you.3-4 If you tell the wealthy man, “Come sit by me; there’s plenty of room,” but tell the vagrant, “Oh, these seats are saved. Go over there,” then you’ll be judging God’s children out of evil motives.

The Voice (VOICE) The Voice Bible Copyright © 2012 Thomas Nelson, Inc. The Voice™ translation © 2012 Ecclesia Bible Society All rights reserved.

These are my thoughts, please share yours.

1 He is the light that we are commanded not to hide but to shine to the world. The glory of is so great that Moses shined from his contact with God simply being in His presence. We are to trust in God first not to trust in others first. We often times look to other people as great but we are to look to the Lord as great and just look to serve Him, this is a mentally of the world that we often times have a hard time letting go, this not to say that we can not learn from others more or that certain people can be used to help us and some can’t this is simply saying that we should not favor them more because of this, this is a form of us dying to self to serve Him.

2 They had a problem with valuing people based on what they owned this could be a problem some churches face today, they can have a tendencies to please certain people more because they give more money yet we are to be concerned about pleasing the Lord giving should never be done to win favor with people but should be done to please the Lord. We are to meet the needs and look at a person’s heart. We often have to train ourselves to look past outward appearance.

3 James most likely addressed this because this was a problem that they were having Jesus died for both the rich and the poor we the church should have accepted those that were poor as much as they accepted the rich. Those were rich to have rings on shows that they are keeping their wealth rather then using it to serve the Lord so why they are more valuable to the church any way, each soul matters the same. As Christians should not we favor people because of the closeness to God rather then what they have on earth.

4 We are to realize that God has us to serve for everyone that He brings our way this may mean we are used by Him to people we may not want to be we trust Him and are to let His light shine, He very well may bring us into places of service that is outside our comfort zone, this way we zone on Him rather then on are selves then others.

Back