James 3:1-2 and Being a Teacher

1Not many of you should become teachers, my fellow believers, because you know that we who teach will be judged more strictly. 2We all stumble in many ways. Anyone who is never at fault in what they say is perfect, able to keep their whole body in check.

Do you guys feel like we have too many teachers these days in the body of Christ?

I for one, couldn't imagine becoming a teacher, although I do find myself correcting people on scripture when the need arises.

Or is this passage more specific to those who teach others on doctrines, like at seminaries and such?

Do you guys feel like we have too many teachers these days in the body of Christ?

I for one, couldn't imagine becoming a teacher, although I do find myself correcting people on scripture when the need arises.
We have many 'teachers', but few good teachers. One of my favorite teachers passed away in the 1980s (Martyn Lloyd Jones), he had a knack for getting to the root of a matter as well as not missing the forest because of the trees.

1Not many of you should become teachers, my fellow believers, because you know that we who teach will be judged more strictly. 2We all stumble in many ways. Anyone who is never at fault in what they say is perfect, able to keep their whole body in check.

Or is this passage more specific to those who teach others on doctrines, like at seminaries and such?
we dont have enough good teachers period. we need fathers in the Lord . a good teacher is worth their weight in Gold . btw you are a teacher by your actions

I think teaching is a big responsibility and IF you teach you should definitely know your subject and be able to instruct it clearly. Because when someone learns it from you they are trusting you to get it right, otherwise, if they are taught falsely and follow you and you are wrong, they won't know anything else. Plus they will have to unlearn it all later on when they find out you are wrong or didn't teach it properly.

Many people learn by example, if you do not set a good example your learners will just copy what you do (and it might be the opposite of what you actually teach).

There is that scripture in the Bible that no MAN should teach you as the Holy Spirit will instruct you. Why because MAN is imperfect and fallible and will always get something wrong.

1 John 2:27

King James Bible
But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.

Yes God has established teachers in His Body, the Church.

1 Corinthians 12:28 (KJV) And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.

I suppose those who fail trying to be an apostle or prophet gravitate to that 'lower' position of teacher. LOL (oh, tongue in cheek- in case you didn't notice.)

Yes God has established teachers in His Body, the Church.

1 Corinthians 12:28 (KJV) And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.

I suppose those who fail trying to be an apostle or prophet gravitate to that 'lower' position of teacher. LOL (oh, tongue in cheek- in case you didn't notice.)
I rate sixth (librarians under catch-all term of 'helps'.) Though I like to think I could be a miracle worker too.

With children? Well, I guess you have to start somewhere. 🧒:)🚸
Teachers are the noisy ones, they have to deal with so many kids running around that they need a loud hailer. In teacher training school, if you can yell and tell someone off and still be heard miles away that's almost a prerequisite.

Thank goodness corporal punishment is no longer allowed in schools.

I don't know if christian schools/teachers were much different in the olden days when they used the cane and the strap. Discipline and punishment used to be seen as the same thing.

Teachers are the noisy ones, they have to deal with so many kids running around that they need a loud hailer. In teacher training school, if you can yell and tell someone off and still be heard miles away that's almost a prerequisite.

Thank goodness corporal punishment is no longer allowed in schools.

I don't know if christian schools/teachers were much different in the olden days when they used the cane and the strap. Discipline and punishment used to be seen as the same thing.
I prefer corporeal punishment (we had it in my day), as it spoke louder than modern psychology.

We read out loud when we're with children.
Adults are too embarassed to be seen reading out loud.
I don't know about adults being embarrassed to read.

That is kind of how many Bible study groups operate. Taking turns reading sections of scripture, followed by discussions on what the Word says, and how to apply it in our lives.

This is common, even where there is a 'leader' that prepares by gathering related passages and surveying commentaries, etc. When it come down to holding the study it is a group effort.

I don't know about adults being embarrassed to read.

That is kind of how many Bible study groups operate. Taking turns reading sections of scripture, followed by discussions on what the Word says, and how to apply it in our lives.

This is common, even where there is a 'leader' that prepares by gathering related passages and surveying commentaries, etc. When it come down to holding the study it is a group effort.
Bible study group isn't really like a class with a teacher though. I'm talking about SCHOOL where you get tested/graded.

Back