James 3:5-6

James 3:5-6 King James Version (KJV)
5 Even so the tongue is a little member, and boasteth great things. Behold, how great a matter a little fire kindleth!

6 And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body, and setteth on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire of hell.

James 3:5-6 New Life Version (NLV)

5 The tongue is also a small part of the body, but it can speak big things. See how a very small fire can set many trees on fire. 6 The tongue is a fire. It is full of wrong. It poisons the whole body. The tongue sets our whole lives on fire with a fire that comes from hell.

New Life Version (NLV) Copyright © 1969 by Christian Literature International

These are my thoughts, please share yours.

5-6 The tongue is small but can such trouble but also give blessing. The tongue can boast but should give praise to the Lord. We can use the tongue to encourage or tear down. The tongue an start problems that just move beyond our control and sometimes it don’t take long.

I love it that James always tells it like it is. To me that letter (James) is a mini-gospel in that although so short the letter of James does so well reflect the gospels' message. And this part about what a tongue can do is just so true. Always good to take inventory about the things we say and sometimes the things we don't say. Such power in words. I need to remember to pray for discernment and wisdom about this.

Back