James Ch 5 vs 19-20

Does anyone read this statement as James is speaking of a brother and sister in Christ? I mean, the content of wandering from the truth, indicates the brother or sister are saved Christians and believe the truth. See, I have seen many Christian get drunk, swear, steal, deal drugs and thought this might be straying from the truth, that James is speaking of. James goes on to say that if anyone shall bring him back, he will save him from death: meaning spitual death. Than James concludes, and cover a multitude of sins. This referring to the sinner caught up in sinful behavior.
James 5:19-20 My brothers, if one of you should wander from the truth and someone should bring him back, remember this: Whoever turns a sinner from the errors of his ways will save him from death and cover a multitude of sins.
Now several thing point to the unsaved person as well as a converted person. Brothers generally means a Christian and saved person. If one of you again refers to one of the Christian brothers. Who knows the truth more than a Christian. Someone should bring him back: well you got to be a member of a church for someone to bring you back. At least in most cases. If the person never came back to repentance, the Christian would receive death spirually. See, I think James would word it differently, if he were speaking of a unsaved person. We all are to try and save soul( it is we are being used as a instrument of Christ to save souls). So Christ saves. But we are His tool. Are we too, responsable for others in our congregation and seeing someone in error, to help them see the light or truth?

Thanks for your comments..

James was a Jew and the majority of the uses of brother actually refer to the Jews, who are unsaved. Jesus' entire ministry was to the Jews and His fights were with those hypocritical Pharisees. Indeed, this also can mean a backslider. There are many dual meanings to the scriptures. The difference between am unsaved person an a Christian is that the unsaved cannot cease from sinning. A Christian is free from sin and only needs to grow in Christ to effectually be free in their daily walk through death to the flesh. Non-Christians cannot do that no matter how much the try, deny, or want.

James 1:1 James, a a bondservant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ,
To the twelve tribes which are scattered abroad:
Greetings.

James is clearly speaking to other Jews who he refers to as brethren. All of James is generally about doing the good works to prove or show our faith, and following the law, which was of utmost priority with the Jewish brethren.
James looked at it this way. If you are sinning, i.e. not doing good works but evil ones, then your faith is meaningless and dead. To bring them back from this evil, you replenish the faith they once had and save them from condemnation. I think James thought you could lose your salvation by sinning, which is not surprising because of what the Jews had been taught under the law.

Back