Jehu and Shalmaneser III

Shalmaneser III

This is the Black Obelisk of Shalmaneser III. What you see is the only known portrayal of an Israelite or Judean king in ancient Near Eastern art. That fellow bowing down is Jehu king of North Israel and he is paying tribute to Shalmaneser III king of Assyria.

800px-The_Assyrian_king_Shalmaneser_III_receives_tribute_from_Sua,_king_of_Gilzanu,_The_Black_...JPG
Jewish_delegation_to_Shalmaneser_III_on_the_Black_Obelisk,_circa_840_BCE.jpg

The inscription, written in Akkadian, read:

“I received the tribute of Iahu [i.e. Jehu] son of Omri: silver, gold, a golden bowl, a golden vase with pointed bottom, golden goblets, golden buckets, tin, a royal scepter staff and javelins."

See Assyrian Reliefs from the Palace of Ashurnasirpal II: A Cultural Biography, pp. 127-128.

Now here is an interesting point. Jehu was not the son or descendent of King Omri. Jehu overthrew the house of Omri, specifically Jehoram who was the son of Ahab, the son of Omri. In the O.T. this line is known as the house of Ahab.

Jehu overthrew the house of Omri, specifically Jehoram who was the son of Ahab,
This inspired me to reread parts of this scripture. It is an interesting part of the Bible.

War, court intrigue, politics; the manor and means of his extermination of the house of Ahab, Jezebel's death and the very bloody takeover of the Northern Kingdom, are all high drama.

It is a fascinating story that would have an “R” rating for violence if made into a movie today.

Back