Jeremiah 2:13...Broken cisterns

Hello all,

I want to share something the Lord taught me recently. It is from Jeremiah 2:13 and John 4:6-15.

Jeremiah 2:13, " for my people have committed two evils: they have forsaken Me,.the fountain of living waters, and hewn for themselves cisterns-broken cisterns that can hold no water."

This verse compares to how we try to be fulfilled by something(often carnal pleasures) or someone other than God. The filling is very temporary, it fills and proceeds to empty out...it cannot stay full. There is a constant desire for fulfillment but it cannot be obtained.

The story of the Samaritan woman at the well in John 4:6-15 also relates. This woman is thinking and talking about physical water that she needs to drink again and again to satisfy her thirst, while Jesus is referring to spiritual water; the living water that satisfies, fills and keeps flowing...even unto eternal life. Fulfillment can only be found in God.

Hello all,

I want to share something the Lord taught me recently. It is from Jeremiah 2:13 and John 4:6-15.

Jeremiah 2:13, " for my people have committed two evils: they have forsaken Me,.the fountain of living waters, and hewn for themselves cisterns-broken cisterns that can hold no water."

This verse compares to how we try to be fulfilled by something(often carnal pleasures) or someone other than God. The filling is very temporary, it fills and proceeds to empty out...it cannot stay full. There is a constant desire for fulfillment but it cannot be obtained.

The story of the Samaritan woman at the well in John 4:6-15 also relates. This woman is thinking and talking about physical water that she needs to drink again and again to satisfy her thirst, while Jesus is referring to spiritual water; the living water that satisfies, fills and keeps flowing...even unto eternal life. Fulfillment can only be found in God.
Here is a Scripture that relates:
Colossians 1:19 KJV
For it pleased the Father that in him should all fulness dwell;

Hello all,

I love it!!! Thanks for sharing! God bless!

Yes.
To expand this a bit:

We are to love God with all our Heart, Mind, and Strength - rephrasing that - with all our Intellect, Emotion, and Volition.... Failure will yield emptiness, sorrow, frustration, pain, etc.... But - to FILL that VOID created by the lack of Love for God - we try to fill the void with our own efforts...

And when we "Hew out cisterns which hold no water" so to speak - they are in one of those 3 categories: Intellect, Emotion, and Volition....

Paul unpacks this quite nicely in Romans 13:13 - but every "Lists of Sins" in the scriptures will fall within these....
"Let us walk properly, as in the day, not in revelry and drunkenness (Volition), not in lewdness and lust (Emotion), not in strife and envy (Intellect)....."

And so while someone may have no personal issues with struggle over sexual mischief for example - they may well have a giant intellectual superiority complex that manifests as an absolute LOVE of Debate to the point of endless contention structured to eliminate/destroy the relevance of others that differ with them in their own mind.... AKA - Your doctrine is wrong.. You are ignorant of the basic principles of God because you believe in doctrines that I don't agree with (Calvanism, Armenianism, Cessation, Continuation, Limited atonement, Complete atonement, etc.), you are a Heretic/Blasphemer, I know better than to listen to you about anything.... You must be destroyed.

This sort of attitude is just as much ERROR/Sin as is sexual mischief.... Many times, it creates WORSE consequences within the church because the person is living a life free of otherwise apparent "Scandalous behavior" - aka walking in lusts of the flesh, and thus APPEARS to be doing things right, and as such... AND they are very smart/well taught/etc - they are viewed as "Leaders".... but they have NO love of God in their intellect.... Empty, sorrowful, frustrated, not comforted - and yet they try to FILL that hole with Intellectual Superiority over everyone else around them...

Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: Juk
Hello all,

Very good; thanks for sharing.

Back