Jesus And Evangelism

I have been thinking about Jesus and evangelism. It occurs to me that Jesus never did what we encourage people to do in evangelism: go to strangers and tell them how to go to heaven when they die. Jesus never led people to pray a simple prayer and promised they would go to heaven on the basis of that prayer.

It seems what he did do is tell people to follow him followed by massive amounts of teaching.

What do you observe about the evangelism and Jesus?

I find it interesting that I don't think Christ taught too: go to a church building every Sunday and say nothing to your neighbors about God but feel better about your 'self' because you sat in a pew this week.

Should we learn and be accountable for the Word's sake? Yes, but if we spend all our time learning and no time doing-what's the point?

The way I see it; Christ was always on the move, and He literally walked everywhere (including on the water), He was always 'working' for the cause of the Gospel. What few times he took breaks were in prayer. "Go" and preach is a command to be 'active'-too WORK which we seem to forget. Not that 'works' get us into heaven-but our 'fruit' is the joy given to the Spirit inside when we find ourselves humbled and working in service out of joy-not necessity.

We can have all kinds of ministries, but if we see the same faces day in and day out and no repentance/ no salvation -we are doing something wrong.

We can 'work' inside the Church internally-but are we truly fulfilling God's plan for us to be the humble servant example to the lost?

The True work is out of our comfort zone-in the fields full of wheat and tares; who will go out and plant? Who will go out and water? Who will go out and harvest? Who will risk the pain of marching threw the thorns to get to that one berry branch?

Jesus did-He said to 'follow Him' into the fields. Not into the pews....

Those preachers in there million dollar mansions and on TV-are they getting dirty and bruised? Christ said the mark of a good job will be persecution. How many of us fall into that category? Few-too few, even I am a coward....

Those preachers in there million dollar mansions and on TV-are they getting dirty and bruised? Christ said the mark of a good job will be persecution. How many of us fall into that category? Few-too few, even I am a coward....
I partially agree with you Dirty. You need to look closer at the televangelists. They are being attacked and persecuted. Example...homosexuality. Everyone of them has to choose either to preach against or for it. I respect a number of them...despite their unanimous flaws with money Mark 9:40. Opposing queen James > getting tithing message confused.

I have been thinking about Jesus and evangelism. It occurs to me that Jesus never did what we encourage people to do in evangelism: go to strangers and tell them how to go to heaven when they die. Jesus never led people to pray a simple prayer and promised they would go to heaven on the basis of that prayer.

It seems what he did do is tell people to follow him followed by massive amounts of teaching.

Josh, what about Mark 6:7-12..........
"And he called unto him the twelve, and began to send them forth by two and two; and gave them power over unclean spirits; And commanded them that they should take nothing for their journey, save a staff only; no scrip, no bread, no money in their purse: But be shod with sandals; and not put on two coats.And he said unto them, In what place soever ye enter into an house, there abide till ye depart from that place.
And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear you, when ye depart thence, shake off the dust under your feet for a testimony against them. Verily I say unto you, It shall be more tolerable for Sodom and Gomorrha in the day of judgment, than for that city. And they went out, and preached that men should repent."

Matt. 4:23.......................
"And Jesus went about all Galilee, teaching in their synagogues, and preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing all manner of sickness and all manner of disease among the people.

Matt. 11:1..........................
A"nd it came to pass, when Jesus had made an end of commanding his twelve disciples, he departed thence to teach and to preach in their cities."

Matt. 9:35........................
"And Jesus went about all the cities and villages, teaching in their synagogues, and preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing every sickness and every disease among the people."

Do people actully read the Bible these days?

Depends on the people. I know some who read nothing BUT the Bible.
Others I've known think it's 30 pages long and was written by Moses.

If I meet someone and they say they are willing to accept Jesus as their savior, what do I do? Say a prayer with them? I try to minister to others but it can be intimidating, I wont lie.

Where did the op go??????

We aren't Jesus, so there are some differences in how we go about our missions, should we choose to accept them. But, was the woman at the well a stranger? Was Zaccheus a stranger? They and several others mentioned in the Gospels appear to be. But I don't think every detail of Jesus' encounters with these people are recorded, so we don't know all that Jesus said to them in His conversations with them. I agree that it is doubtful that He led them in a quick sinner's prayer. I do think He told them what they needed to know so that they would go to Heaven when they died during the time He allotted to them, whether during a brief encounter or during three years of itinerate ministry. "Follow me" was a frequent command, but that didn't guarantee salvation as we can see from the crowds that left Him when He exposed their motivations. It was an invitation for them to come and learn of Him.

I think it is a mistake to try to get someone to say a formulaic sinner's prayer until conviction, repentance, and desire are evident. We should be more concerned about having people's names written in the Lamb's Book of Life than putting notches in our Bible covers. Plus, I think it is easier to save someone from atheism than from a false conversion.

I have been thinking about Jesus and evangelism. It occurs to me that Jesus never did what we encourage people to do in evangelism: go to strangers and tell them how to go to heaven when they die.

Here are just a few of scriptures which quote Jesus' words to people when he walked the face of this earth. I know there are more, but this shows, I believe, that he did indeed go to people he did not know and he told them how to go to heaven when they die.

John 4:13-14: Jesus answered, “Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, 14 but whoever drinks the water I give them will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give them will become in them a spring of water welling up to eternal life.”

John 5:24: “Very truly I tell you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be judged but has crossed over from death to life.”

John 6:54: “Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”

John 12:25: “Anyone who loves their life will lose it, while anyone who hates their life in this world will keep it for eternal life.”

John 12:49-50: “For I did not speak on my own, but the Father who sent me commanded me to say all that I have spoken. I know that his command leads to eternal life. So whatever I say is just what the Father has told me to say.”

John 17:3: “Now this is eternal life: that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent.”

Mt. 4:17: “From that time on Jesus began to preach, ‘Repent, for the kingdom of heaven has come near.’”

Mt. 7:21: “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.”

Mt. 18:3: “And he said: ‘Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.’”

Mk. 1:15: “The time has come,” he said. “The kingdom of God has come near. Repent and believe the good news!”

Jn. 3:3-7: Jesus replied, “Very truly I tell you, no one can see the kingdom of God unless they are born again.”

4 “How can someone be born when they are old?” Nicodemus asked. “Surely they cannot enter a second time into their mother’s womb to be born!”

5 Jesus answered, “Very truly I tell you, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless they are born of water and the Spirit. 6 Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit. 7 You should not be surprised at my saying, ‘You must be born again.’

John 14:23-24: Jesus replied, “Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching. My Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them. Anyone who does not love me will not obey my teaching.”

Back