Jesus is Lord

Ginger

Inactive
Jesus is Lord

I Cor 12:3 "Therefore I make known to you that no one speaking by the Spirit of God says, 'Jesus is accursed'; and no one can say, 'Jesus is Lord,' except by the Holy Spirit."

I've often wondered if this verse is literally means an atheist can't speak those words. Why wouldn't they be able to? They don't have to mean it to say. What if they said it mockingly?

Once in a while, this verse comes up in conversation and I ask the person I'm speaking with if they can say the words. I have gotten 3 different responses so far:

1. "Why would I want to. I don't know that."

2. "How dare you ask me!"

3. "Jesus is my Lord and Savior."

The first one is from people who say they believe in God, but deny parts of the written word. These people absolutely refuse to say the words.
The second comes mostly from atheists, but sometimes from people who claim to believe in Jesus. These , also refuse to say the words.
The third, are those who claim to believe Jesus is God incarnate. They often look surprised at the question, but readily respond, "Yes, Jesus is my Lord and Savior."

To me it is comforting to hear someone I love say these words, and encouraging to hear anyone say them.

What do you think? Is this verse literal? I tend to think believe it is.

Another thing I look for, if a person seems to agree with the statement, is does this person actually say "my Lord and Savior"? or do they say "my church teaches this", "the Bible says he is", or some other statement without actually saying a definite "yes, I believe."?

Ginger

I believe the verse is literal and you have said very valid points.

and thanks for the reminder.

Jesus is my Lord:fish:

I believe we must truly recognize in our heart that He is Lord above all.
People take the word Lord lightly. It means much more than what we may think.

Savior or not, if He made us humans or not, He remains Lord. we have no say in this. those who can't confess it usually are prideful, or do not know Him. if you confess and your heart is not right, God knows the heart. which is why our heart must be right.

Jesus is Lord above all.

Thanks Ginger for the encouragement .

1 Corinthians 12:3 (New Century Version)...... So I want you to understand that no one who is speaking with the help of God's Spirit says, "Jesus be cursed." And no one can say, "Jesus is Lord," without the help of the Holy Spirit.

So thinking about thinking about this verse ,any one who is speaking with the help of the Holy Spirit would not say " Jesus be cursed ".

And there for if we do not have the Holy spirit then we are not able to say " Jesus is Lord "

I think we need to go back to the passage and realize that the Corinthians struggled with petty disagreements and that Paul was trying to emphasize the need for unity in the church.

And don't we all struggle with the same issues today " Unity"

As Christians we are the " Church" .The church, universal Body and we are all the members . We cannot achieve " Unity " unless we appreciate the fact that others have differing abilities and views .

But we are ALL CHRISTIANS and that should be our common bond

Hi Dusty,

Yes I find it encouraging.

The power of the Holy Spirit holding us.

But I do believe it is literal because of the responses I have received when the topic comes up.

I keep thinking, why couldn't someone say it even if they don't mean it? People can lie.

Yet, I have never been able to get an atheist to say those words.

Spirits are a different matter.....this is how we are to test them, so I absolutely, without question believe they are prevented from saying those words. But we are told we can't tell the saved from the condemned so I ponder this verse in that respect.

But I do love to hear those words! Makes me want to shout, "Yeah God!"

Ginger

Exactly Ginger
I keep thinking, why couldn't someone say it even if they don't mean it? People can lie.

Yet, I have never been able to get an atheist to say those words.

Because I don't think people can lie about that and neither can an atheist . Praise God , how could they say " Jesus is Lord " if they don't believe it .

People lie all the time but when it comes to something like that- well those poor lost souls and the demons they are in bondage to cannot stand the Name of Jesus.

When I first read that passage, I remember how the Bible says those who are deceived don't know it and I had to say those words.

I think this is a very good passage to remember.

Ginger

I Cor 12:3 "Therefore I make known to you that no one speaking by the Spirit of God says, 'Jesus is accursed'; and no one can say, 'Jesus is Lord,' except by the Holy Spirit."

I've often wondered if this verse is literally means an atheist can't speak those words. Why wouldn't they be able to? They don't have to mean it to say. What if they said it mockingly?

Once in a while, this verse comes up in conversation and I ask the person I'm speaking with if they can say the words. I have gotten 3 different responses so far:

The first one is from people who say they believe in God, but deny parts of the written word. These people absolutely refuse to say the words.
The second comes mostly from atheists, but sometimes from people who claim to believe in Jesus. These , also refuse to say the words.
The third, are those who claim to believe Jesus is God incarnate. They often look surprised at the question, but readily respond, "Yes, Jesus is my Lord and Savior."

To me it is comforting to hear someone I love say these words, and encouraging to hear anyone say them.

Another thing I look for, if a person seems to agree with the statement, is does this person actually say "my Lord and Savior"? or do they say "my church teaches this", "the Bible says he is", or some other statement without actually saying a definite "yes, I believe."?

Ginger

Many people can say the Word Lord but within their minds they are thinking Leader or Ruler or Guide.. While others when they say Lord in their minds they are saying God. Two different people can say "Jesus is Lord" and they can be saying two different things.

I believe Jesus is God

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

I think in this instance, "Lord" is referring to more than just believing Jesus is God. Which is why, if I feel compelled, I ask if they can say "Jesus is my Lord and Savior."

This is claiming Jesus' promises for yourself. The demons know Jesus is God, but they do not claim him as their personal Lord and Savior.

I think "my" is an important element.

Jesus is my Savior. Is this different from me saying "I believe Jesus came to saved the world"? or "The Bible says Jesus is Lord"?

Is there a difference between saying "I believe Jesus is Lord." and "I believe Jesus is God"?

I never thought about what "Lord" is supposed to mean, before - only that the Bible says no one can say those words except by the Spirit of God.

If one who is perishing can say those words because it means something to him than to one who is saved,....

then what is the point of saying those words can only be uttered by the power of the Holy Spirit?

Ginger

Ginger

LOL Try this one on... If an atheist says Jesus is Lord he would not be an atheist would he? He would have to accept the diety of Jesus and put himself under His Lordship. Cute for him. :D

LOL Try this one on... If an atheist says Jesus is Lord he would not be an atheist would he? He would have to accept the diety of Jesus and put himself under His Lordship. Cute for him. :D

Have you ever heard an atheist say those exact words?

In fact, I knew someone who believed in God, but denied parts of the Holy Scriptures. She could not say, "Jesus is my Lord and Savior", either. She claimed she could if she wanted to, but when I said "give it a try", she made excuses not to say it.

I probably mentioned her before. I started praying for her and a few months later she wanted to do a Bible study. It didn't take long before she accepted Jesus as her savior and was able to say those beautiful words.

satan is tricky. I believe we need to listen closely so we are not tricked into thinking someone said it when they really said something else.

Ginger

it's all about praying/relationship with God
the less we pray and the less we talk to God, the worse it gets! the less we want to say those words and the less we can actually say them. I've experienced it, that's how I know I'm so far from God.

Back