Jesus Was Angry and So Am I

If Jesus was angry then my anger is validated too, right?
Is my anger always righteous anger and necessary?
Why was Jesus angry in the temple?
Why, after he overturned the tables did he tell the people to give to Caesar what is Caesar's and to God what is God's (Mark 12:17)?

Christ was never angry about something done to him. He even asked God's forgiveness on them that crucified him.

Luke 23:34 Then said Jesus, Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do. And they parted his raiment, and cast lots. (KJV)

What was Christ angered about? Christ was angry about the lack of reverence for God Almighty and the harm done by encouraging the buying and selling within the temple. It set a bad example for the people. What Christ did was done in zeal for God and his love of others. Throwing the moneychangers out was a strong rebuke for the wrong they were doing in respect to God and the people.

All things must be done in love and this angry act was done in love. There are other examples of righteous anger we can learn from as well.

cp

If Jesus was angry then my anger is validated too, right?
No.

Is my anger always righteous anger and necessary?
No

Why was Jesus angry in the temple?
Two reasons:

(1) The temple had become a place where God's people were fleeced by those charged to instruct them in righteousness.

(2) It dismayed the Lord that God's people couldn't be bothered to separate their offerings and preserve them until time of sacrifice, but instead bought?!! a sacrifice at the last opportunity.

Why, after he overturned the tables did he tell the people to give to Caesar what is Caesar's and to God what is God's (Mark 12:17)?

For the same reason Paul urges believers to obey civil authority.

(Being a Christian does not make one a law unto his own views)

What about;
If they knew what they were doing?( regarding His crucifixion)
Would He have forgave them then?

The things is they didn't have the Holy Spirit. They had God's word and should have known better, but God allowed them to be blinded and deaf to his word and the fulfillment of prophecy happening in front of their eyes.

Christ knew they were blind and deaf and as such they were very carnal acting on their carnal nature.

cp

It’s hard for me to gorge people’s intentions.
I once thought someone had it in for me.
But it turned out they didn’t.
So I’m glad I was only haunted by a demon when all the time they actually did love me( it’s just that, well, I was a maniac and was obsessed with him and I’m so glad I didn’t say or do anything to him because I was in two minds.
It’s just too easy to believe a lie.

edit; I suffered a lot because I kept my mouth shut but it was so worth it in the end

I don't often think it is wise to dwell on someone's intentions. Usually this means we are dwelling on why someone said or did something to hurt me. Christ had a unique ability through the fullness of the Holy Spirit in him to discern the truth of a matter.

We can through the Holy Spirit try the spirits whether they are of God or of Satan's influence.

cp

We can only judge a fellow believer in an attempt to help them in their walk with Jesus; as a brother or sister. We shouldn't judge a non-believer because we don't have any standard to judge them by because they are not God's and are not our business. Sinners sin, that is their religion. We love each other and therefore speak the truth among ourselves for God's glory and our growth. We can only try to win more brothers and sisters to Christ but if they have a different father and are happy with him then we can't convince them that our Dad has more to offer.

I don't often think it is wise to dwell on someone's intentions. Usually this means we are dwelling on why someone said or did something to hurt me. Christ had a unique ability through the fullness of the Holy Spirit in him to discern the truth of a matter.

We can through the Holy Spirit try the spirits whether they are of God or of Satan's influence.

cp
You know cp...
I tried not to dwell on the ME!!!
But I was damn hard if not impossible...
In fact, it was only after I suffered a good few years that I was able to move past ME so it became bearable...
At that point I began to seek God and became a Christian.

now you all know why I chose my username haha

We shouldn't judge a non-believer because we don't have any standard to judge them by because they are not God's and are not our business. Sinners sin, that is their religion.

And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.
1 Cor 13:3

A non believer can do nothing that is not sin. Even if he were a philanthropist and did laudible things for the poor, it is only proclaiming that one does not need God to do good. That in itself is a great sin.

Self sacrificial love comes from God and not from self.

There are only 'flavors' of sin until one recognizes his personal need and accepts Christ.

And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.

A non believer can do nothing that is not sin. Even if he were a philanthropist and did laudible things for the poor, it is only proclaiming that one does not need God to do good. That in itself is a great sin.

There are only 'flavors' of sin until one recognizes his personal need and accepts Christ.
I love this answer.

We can only judge a fellow believer in an attempt to help them in their walk with Jesus; as a brother or sister. We shouldn't judge a non-believer because we don't have any standard to judge them by because they are not God's
I’m glad you posted this because I have a habit of judging others. Not everyone though, I just dislike certain groups of sinners more than others.
so, my righteous anger toward said worser sinners would therefor be pointless if they belong to Satan. But it’s still hard not to judge.

And then what if it was Christians that got hurt through my least favourite type of sinners? Or any sinners for that matter...

I sometimes think war is justified.

Didn’t mother Teresa admit she was depressed all her life?
I’m not knocking the catholic faith, I love their chants, but I often wonder if she was giving from a place of need and not a sacrificial type of giving.
Surely one cannot be depressed if you are in contact with God????
I know I won’t give if it’s not coming from a place of joy anymore..

Didn’t mother Teresa admit she was depressed all her life?
I’m not knocking the catholic faith, I love their chants, but I often wonder if she was giving from a place of need and not a sacrificial type of giving.
Surely one cannot be depressed if you are in contact with God????
I know I won’t give if it’s not coming from a place of joy anymore..
Ohhh, that's a whole different thread idea! I am going to put that up and you will find that some of the most well-known of the Bible suffered depression.

Back