Joanh 4:8-9

Jonah 4:8-9

KJV 8 And it came to pass, when the sun did arise, that God prepared a vehement east wind; and the sun beat upon the head of Jonah, that he fainted, and wished in himself to die, and said, It is better for me to die than to live. 9 And God said to Jonah, Doest thou well to be angry for the gourd? And he said, I do well to be angry, even unto death.

JuliaSmith 8 And it will be as the sun rose, and God will appoint a sultry east wind; and the sun struck upon the head of Jonah, and he will faint, and he will ask his soul to die, and say, It is good for me to die rather than live. 9 And God will say to Jonah, Was it well to kindle to thee for the gourd? And he will say, It was well to kindle to me, even to death.

These are my thoughts, please share yours.

8 Jonah’s view of life was not good. Jonah thought he had it harder then Job did, this is pride thing that he had. God caused this to show and teach Jonah. God was loving Jonah and trying to break his pride. Jonah could have went back home at this point instead of staying in the heat but he wanted to see these people be destroyed even though he knew they repented and that God had showed mercy.

9 Jonah cared more about the vine then he did human lives. God showed he cared more about people souls.

Thanks for your insight.

Something to think about... Chapter 4 presents an Idiom.... Why should Jonah care about Assyria? What is the bigger picture that God is trying to illustrate?

This book is about far more than simply Assyria repenting because God wants to save some children... There is a bigger picture application to Israel and also to us as Christians living within Gentile nations......

Let me give you this hint....

The Castor bean bush is Assyria
Jonah is the nation of Israel
The Worm is sin.

Back