John 12:25-26 Choose to Love, Serve and Follow

bobinfaith

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Hello brothers and sisters;

I attend Bible studies on Thursday mornings. Most of the disciples are in their 70s, 80s and early 90s. I'm the youngest at 65 and usually teach Bible studies. But with our group I'm a student and it's very humbling to be a listener to their testimonies.

We are studying John and when we discussed Jesus' necessary sacrifice at the cross in verse 23-24, 23 And Jesus answered them, “The hour has come for the Son of Man to be glorified. 24 Truly, truly, I say to you, unless a grain of wheat falls into the earth and dies, it remains alone; but if it dies, it bears much fruit. - ESV

The group was slowly grasping Jesus' sacrifice, but asked, "what does the death of a grain of wheat falling into the earth and dying have to do with Jesus?"

Then when we read verses 25-26, 25 Whoever loves his life loses it, and whoever hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life. 26 If anyone serves me, he must follow me; and where I am, there will my servant be also. If anyone serves me, the Father will honor him. - ESV

The group had a hard time with "loving one's life loses it" but "hating one's life in this world" will keep it for eternity. They asked about understanding the theme of why Jesus must die, God's result and how do these verses as a whole impact our lives?

One of our members in his 90s expressed how he has walked in his commitment for Christ most of his adult life, but as he got older he lost his confidence in the world, instead, he increased his confidence in God! I was ministered by listening to him when he said that.

Let's share what this Scripture says to us in our experience, spirit and heart.

I attend Bible studies on Thursday mornings. Most of the disciples are in their 70s, 80s and early 90s. I'm the youngest at 65 and usually teach Bible studies. But with our group I'm a student and it's very humbling to be a listener to their testimonies.

We are studying John and when we discussed Jesus' necessary sacrifice at the cross in verse 23-24, 23 And Jesus answered them, “The hour has come for the Son of Man to be glorified. 24 Truly, truly, I say to you, unless a grain of wheat falls into the earth and dies, it remains alone; but if it dies, it bears much fruit. - ESV

The group was slowly grasping Jesus' sacrifice, but asked, "what does the death of a grain of wheat falling into the earth and dying have to do with Jesus?"

Then when we read verses 25-26, 25 Whoever loves his life loses it, and whoever hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life. 26 If anyone serves me, he must follow me; and where I am, there will my servant be also. If anyone serves me, the Father will honor him. - ESV

The group had a hard time with "loving one's life loses it" but "hating one's life in this world" will keep it for eternity. They asked about understanding the theme of why Jesus must die, God's result and how do these verses as a whole impact our lives?

One of our members in his 90s expressed how he has walked in his commitment for Christ most of his adult life, but as he got older he lost his confidence in the world, instead, he increased his confidence in God! I was ministered by listening to him when he said that.

God bless you Bob in your ministry.
Makes a person wonder how a Christian can walk so many miles and still be so young in the Lord?

Back