John 3:16

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

What we are looking at is a translation to English from the Greek. The Greek word in the original text in John 3:16 translated “only begotten” do not mean begotten. It means ONLY, AS IN UNIQUE. To say or translate it means begotten as is in the KJV is to say something that is not true. Daniel Wallace who is considered to be one of if the not the top leading authority in ancient Greek studies. He helped translate a Bible called the NET. Look him and it up. Helped, agreed or compiled these following notes for Jo 3:16 in the Bible he had helped translate in regard to the Greek word monogenes translated above “ only begotten”. I like how he or they said, "While all Christians are children of God (τέκνα θεοῦ, tekna theou), Jesus is God’s Son in a unique, one-of-a-kind sense." Here is the entry,
“tn Although this word is often translated “only begotten,” such a translation is misleading, since in English it appears to express a metaphysical relationship. The word in Greek was used of an only child (a son [Luke 7:12; 9:38] or a daughter [Luke 8:42]). It was also used of something unique (only one of its kind) such as the mythological Phoenix (1 Clement 25:2). From here it passes easily to a description of Isaac (Heb 11:17 and Josephus, Ant. 1.13.1 [1.222]) who was not Abraham’s only son, but was one-of-a-kind because he was the child of the promise. Thus the word means “one-of-a-kind” and is reserved for Jesus in the Johannine literature of the NT. While all Christians are children of God (τέκνα θεοῦ, tekna theou), Jesus is God’s Son in a unique, one-of-a-kind sense. The word is used in this way in all its uses in the Gospel of John (1:14, 18; 3:16, 18).
Yesterday was the first that I had seen those notes. That being said as this was being laid out before me the last couple days. I found that the Greek word monogenes is a compound word. The first part is mono (μονο) which means only. The second part is genos (γένος) which means kin or kind. So what we get is only one of it’s kind, unique or only kin. Though only kin might infer only begotten that is not what the word means and it should not be translated that way.
It was also brought to my attention through the leading Lexicon to Greek studies, the BDAG. The Greek word monogenes definition. Here is an excerpt from their entry.
….1) pert. to being the only one of its kind within a specific relationship, one and only, only
2) pert. to being the only one of its kind or class, unique (in kind) of someth. that is the only example of its category….
Monogenes, the word translated only begotten in John 3:16 is also used in Hebrews. Here it is as translated in the KJV. Hebrews 11:17 By faith Abraham, when he was tried, offered up Isaac: and he that had received the promises offered up his only begotten son.
To help us see that it should not be translated “only begotten” I ask a question. HOW MANY SONS did Abraham have?
Moving forward it was also revealed to me in Hebrews 1:6 a different word is used for begotten. That word is prototokos in the Greek. It means first begotten or first born. Here is the verse. Heb 1:6 And again, when he bringeth in the firstbegotten into the world, he saith, And let all the angels of God worship him. This verse proves Jesus was begotten. Interestingly enough in the preceding verse, verse 5 the Greek word for begotten is used. That word is gennao. It means procreate or by extension conceive. Here is that verse. Heb 1:5 For unto which of the angels said he at any time, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee? And again, I will be to him a Father, and he shall be to me a Son?
SO YES Jesus was begotten of the Father. And just as important the first begotten. For it became Him, for whom are all things, and by whom are all things, in bringing many sons unto glory, to make the captain of their salvation perfect through sufferings. For both He that sanctifieth and they who are sanctified are all of one: for which cause he is not ashamed to call them brethren. For He has given us all things that pertain to life and godliness. We are more than conquerors through Him that strengthens us. Strengthen, settled, establish in every good word and work according to the power that worketh in us. For it is God that works in us both to will and do His Good pleasure. Us in Him, He in us that the world might believe. Lord we believe help our unbelief, amen.
(Heb 2:10-11; 2 Pet 1:3; Phil 2:13; Eph 3:20; 2 Thes 2:17)

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

What we are looking at is a translation to English from the Greek. The Greek word in the original text in John 3:16 translated “only begotten” do not mean begotten. It means ONLY, AS IN UNIQUE. To say or translate it means begotten as is in the KJV is to say something that is not true. Daniel Wallace who is considered to be one of if the not the top leading authority in ancient Greek studies. He helped translate a Bible called the NET. Look him and it up. Helped, agreed or compiled these following notes for Jo 3:16 in the Bible he had helped translate in regard to the Greek word monogenes translated above “ only begotten”. I like how he or they said, "While all Christians are children of God (τέκνα θεοῦ, tekna theou), Jesus is God’s Son in a unique, one-of-a-kind sense." Here is the entry,
“tn Although this word is often translated “only begotten,” such a translation is misleading, since in English it appears to express a metaphysical relationship. The word in Greek was used of an only child (a son [Luke 7:12; 9:38] or a daughter [Luke 8:42]). It was also used of something unique (only one of its kind) such as the mythological Phoenix (1 Clement 25:2). From here it passes easily to a description of Isaac (Heb 11:17 and Josephus, Ant. 1.13.1 [1.222]) who was not Abraham’s only son, but was one-of-a-kind because he was the child of the promise. Thus the word means “one-of-a-kind” and is reserved for Jesus in the Johannine literature of the NT. While all Christians are children of God (τέκνα θεοῦ, tekna theou), Jesus is God’s Son in a unique, one-of-a-kind sense. The word is used in this way in all its uses in the Gospel of John (1:14, 18; 3:16, 18).
Yesterday was the first that I had seen those notes. That being said as this was being laid out before me the last couple days. I found that the Greek word monogenes is a compound word. The first part is mono (μονο) which means only. The second part is genos (γένος) which means kin or kind. So what we get is only one of it’s kind, unique or only kin. Though only kin might infer only begotten that is not what the word means and it should not be translated that way.
It was also brought to my attention through the leading Lexicon to Greek studies, the BDAG. The Greek word monogenes definition. Here is an excerpt from their entry.
….1) pert. to being the only one of its kind within a specific relationship, one and only, only
2) pert. to being the only one of its kind or class, unique (in kind) of someth. that is the only example of its category….
Monogenes, the word translated only begotten in John 3:16 is also used in Hebrews. Here it is as translated in the KJV. Hebrews 11:17 By faith Abraham, when he was tried, offered up Isaac: and he that had received the promises offered up his only begotten son.
To help us see that it should not be translated “only begotten” I ask a question. HOW MANY SONS did Abraham have?
Moving forward it was also revealed to me in Hebrews 1:6 a different word is used for begotten. That word is prototokos in the Greek. It means first begotten or first born. Here is the verse. Heb 1:6 And again, when he bringeth in the firstbegotten into the world, he saith, And let all the angels of God worship him. This verse proves Jesus was begotten. Interestingly enough in the preceding verse, verse 5 the Greek word for begotten is used. That word is gennao. It means procreate or by extension conceive. Here is that verse. Heb 1:5 For unto which of the angels said he at any time, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee? And again, I will be to him a Father, and he shall be to me a Son?
SO YES Jesus was begotten of the Father. And just as important the first begotten. For it became Him, for whom are all things, and by whom are all things, in bringing many sons unto glory, to make the captain of their salvation perfect through sufferings. For both He that sanctifieth and they who are sanctified are all of one: for which cause he is not ashamed to call them brethren. For He has given us all things that pertain to life and godliness. We are more than conquerors through Him that strengthens us. Strengthen, settled, establish in every good word and work according to the power that worketh in us. For it is God that works in us both to will and do His Good pleasure. Us in Him, He in us that the world might believe. Lord we believe help our unbelief, amen.
(Heb 2:10-11; 2 Pet 1:3; Phil 2:13; Eph 3:20; 2 Thes 2:17)

I am not sure what the point is you are trying to make.

The comment of....
"Jesus is God’s Son in a unique, one-of-a-kind sense. The word is used in this way in all its uses in the Gospel of John (1:14, 18; 3:16, 18). "

Is very true and IMO any Christian who does not know that might want to grasp 2 Peter 1:10.

Not only is Jesus the "only begotten, 1st born, one of a kind".......He is the ONLY SON OF GOD and is in fact Himself God.

um scripture says 'ONLY begotten,' not just begotten.

I have not heard of a word that does not mean what it actually means.
Begotten just means 'born' doesn't it, or 'produced. '

You don't need to make scripture harder than it really is. It's not a cryptic crossword puzzle. Well for me it isn't, all the answers are already in there.

Even former believers and drug dealers, etc know this verse. They blow it out of context and think just by superficially believing is enough to have eternal life. Believing is a lot more than saying we believe.

Back