Jonah 1:7-9

Jonah 1:7-9 King James Version (KJV)
7 And they said every one to his fellow, Come, and let us cast lots, that we may know for whose cause this evil is upon us. So they cast lots, and the lot fell upon Jonah.

8 Then said they unto him, Tell us, we pray thee, for whose cause this evil is upon us; What is thine occupation? and whence comest thou? what is thy country? and of what people art thou?

9 And he said unto them, I am an Hebrew; and I fear the Lord, the God of heaven, which hath made the sea and the dry land.

Jonah 1:7-9 The Voice (VOICE)
Sailors (to one another): 7 You know what we should do? We should cast lots to find out who is ultimately responsible for our distress!

So they cast their lots, and Jonah’s name was chosen.

Sailors: 8 Who are you? We must know who is responsible for this disaster that would swallow us in the sea. What do you do? Where are you from? What country is your home? Whom are you descended from?

Jonah: 9 I am Hebrew, and the God whom I worship is the Eternal One, the God of heaven. He made the sea and the land, so He controls them.

The Voice (VOICE) The Voice Bible Copyright © 2012 Thomas Nelson, Inc. The Voice™ translation © 2012 Ecclesia Bible Society All rights reserved.

These are my thoughts, please share yours.

7 It was Jonah’s fault, the drew names because they knew based off this storm that God had to be against someone.

8 They wanted to know why they were going thru all this because of him. Often times our actions will drag other people down.

9 Jonah was indeed a Hebrew but right now rather then worshiping God, he was running from His plan, we should never run from God’s plan.

In addition to focusing on the “other men’s determination to find the one responsible” for their predicament, and the “drawing itself” as the exposing factor, I think it's important to remember that it was part of God’s plan put in place to correct Jonah for his disobedience… perhaps using man’s weaknesses to judge and blame.

Back