Jonah 2:4-5

Jonah 2:4-5 King James Version (KJV)
4 Then I said, I am cast out of thy sight; yet I will look again toward thy holy temple.

5 The waters compassed me about, even to the soul: the depth closed me round about, the weeds were wrapped about my head.

Jonah 2:4-5 International Children’s Bible (ICB)

4 I said, ‘I was driven out of your presence.
But I hope to see your Holy Temple again.’
5 The waters of the sea closed over me.
I was about to die.
The deep sea was all around me.
Seaweed wrapped around my head.

International Children’s Bible (ICB) The Holy Bible, International Children’s Bible® Copyright© 1986, 1988, 1999, 2015 by Tommy Nelson™, a division of Thomas Nelson. Used by permission.

These are my thoughts, please share yours.

4 Jonah knew that what he had done was against what God wanted but also knew that God didn’t let him die because he still wanted him to go to preach. We cant ever be in this life outside of God’s sight the only place this happens is hell. Jonah was not in hell but in the belly of a fish. Thru Christ we gain excess to Him and He abides in us thru the Holy Spirit and one day because we received Christ as Lord we will gain excess to His home in heaven.

5 Jonah is speaking about him falling into the water. Jonah had time to think as he fell into the depths of the sea before the fish came to him, the fish swallowed him because God saw that he needed more time to think so that he would follow God’s will. Sometimes we are blessed with extra time to think of what God wants rather then for us to make huge mistake by falling away into sin and run from Jesus sometimes we don’t get this chance but as long as we are alive we can turn back to the Lord. Jonah had to go the Lord’s way because his way leads him into this fish. We have to go God’s way because our way will lead us to hell.

clark thompson, Today at 8:12 AM
NewJonah 2:4-5 King James Version (KJV)
4 Then I said, I am cast out of thy sight; yet I will look again toward thy holy temple.

5 The waters compassed me about, even to the soul: the depth closed me round about, the weeds were wrapped about my head.

Hello again, Clark;

In verse 4 I will say this, cautiously, we all can be Jonahs, especially me. I want to serve God, am excited with the plans He has for my life, but at times I will "pick and choose" whether I would be obedient to His leading. I had to learn that this kind of relationship with God could result in an inconsistent, in and out spiritual life. I had to roll up my sleeves and do the tough stuff (my relationship with my wife, people, or ministering other's people's relationships and sin).
God had to grow me up, yet because He loves us / me so much, teaches us to have a more consistent relationship with Him. So when I am led by His direction, my love for Jesus helps me trust Him, thus become more obedient for His glory.

In verse 5 I believe we all have that "Jonah in a fish belly" moment, a time when we crash in life, ministry and when we can't make a deal with God, He humbles us, get perspective of who He is and what He has done. Then all we can do during this time is give thanks and praise that we are alive and ponder on His love, mercy and grace.

God brought Jonah back to go forth with his assignment in Nineveh, just as He brings us back, lovingly, but to continue the task He assigns us.

God bless you, Clark, and thank you for sharing this lesson of Jonah.

The biblical story of Jonah and the "great fish" has always spoken to me of second chances. Jonah failed to obey and trust God for the outcome the first time he was called so God allowed him to be thrown overboard and a great fish swallowed him up. But then the Lord had the fish spit him out. After that Jonah knew it was much better in faith to trust God and not be fearful of possible outcomes. God gave Jonah a second chance to go to Nineveh just like if we fail to be obedient He often gives us a second chance to follow through with what He is leading us to do.

Hello, Sandpiper;

Second chances, yes! Do you feel this aligns with His forgiveness? I have my thoughts on this but wanted to ask yours.

God bless you, Sandpiper, I hope you and your husband are doing well today!
Hey, bobinfaith, Did you mean God's forgiveness only or our forgiving of others?? I am doing well but with my husband not sure what today may bring but I know it is in the Lord's hands. Thanks. Bless you and yours too!
sandpiper

Hey, bobinfaith, Did you mean God's forgiveness only or our forgiving of others?? I am doing well but with my husband not sure what today may bring but I know it is in the Lord's hands. Thanks. Bless you and yours too!
sandpiper

Hey Sandpiper; I meant God's forgiveness and His second chances. I'll check in later today.

You and your husband are in my prayers. God bless you, Sandpiper.

Hey Sandpiper; I meant God's forgiveness and His second chances. I'll check in later today.

Ultimately all forgiveness goes back to the cross when God loved us and forgave our sins by sending Jesus to die for us. That being said...

Our God is a forgiving God for sure but I haven't ever seen the Jonah story so much in the light of His forgiveness as I have in that He gave Jonah another chance to trust and obey Him in that particular call to go to Nineveh, something He likely knew would be hard for Jonah to do the first time around. Perhaps in that it is a story of what Jonah needed to learn so that he wouldn't run away from the call again. The big fish was much worse than going to Nineveh. As you know, God also gave other prominent characters in the bible second changes. Right now King David and the apostle Peter come to mind. And I am surely thankful for the 2nd chances the Lord has given me when I missed the first call even to go to a certain place and confront someone or ones I didn't want to confront. (as well as other things I thought I couldn't do fortifying myself with lots of excuses only to end up swallowed up by a big fish.)..speaking symbolically, of course.

Please do enlighten me as to how you see the Jonah story in relationship to God's forgiveness. I don't doubt that it is true; but would love to read your prospective on it. Broaden my horizons. :)

As for my reference to forgiving others God's action towards Jonah does speak to me of giving other people another chance when they have disappointed us or let us down in someways. I think that does come out of God's Mercy and Love. And it can involve more action than simply forgiving them in our thoughts, prayers, or heart. Love, like God, is patient.

And to Love is to forgive...

Thanks for your prayers for us. Appreciate them.

Yours in the fellowship of the Lord,

sandpiper Jo

Ultimately all forgiveness goes back to the cross when God loved us and forgave our sins by sending Jesus to die for us. That being said...

Our God is a forgiving God for sure but I haven't ever seen the Jonah story so much in the light of His forgiveness as I have in that He gave Jonah another chance to trust and obey Him in that particular call to go to Nineveh, something He likely knew would be hard for Jonah to do the first time around. Perhaps in that it is a story of what Jonah needed to learn so that he wouldn't run away from the call again. The big fish was much worse than going to Nineveh. As you know, God also gave other prominent characters in the bible second changes. Right now King David and the apostle Peter come to mind. And I am surely thankful for the 2nd chances the Lord has given me when I missed the first call even to go to a certain place and confront someone or ones I didn't want to confront. (as well as other things I thought I couldn't do fortifying myself with lots of excuses only to end up swallowed up by a big fish.)..speaking symbolically, of course.

Please do enlighten me as to how you see the Jonah story in relationship to God's forgiveness. I don't doubt that it is true; but would love to read your prospective on it. Broaden my horizons. :)

As for my reference to forgiving others God's action towards Jonah does speak to me of giving other people another chance when they have disappointed us or let us down in someways. I think that does come out of God's Mercy and Love. And it can involve more action than simply forgiving them in our thoughts, prayers, or heart. Love, like God, is patient.

And to Love is to forgive...

Thanks for your prayers for us. Appreciate them.

Yours in the fellowship of the Lord,

sandpiper Jo

Hi, bobinfaith, in case you forgot about this as never did see more. Love to hear if you still want to share. You are so appreciated. blessings, sandpiper.

Hello Sandpiper;

You know, I woke up at 230am this morning and this post popped in my head. So I prayed and went back to sleep. lol!

The scriptures that we study in the Bible teaches us about God's forgiveness when we repent of our sins but there is also God's renewed chances, meaning His patience with us when we are disciplined and corrected before we go forward and get back to work for the Kingdom.

When I say God's renewed chances, we are human and make mistakes and err, for one example, suppose we are ministering to another and didn't say or act correctly, our intentions are good, but we didn't listen wholeheartedly to the Lord. This has an effect on the other person we're ministering to. So we go back to the Lord and ask, where did I do wrong because we want to get it right.

In Matthew 17:19-21, 19 Then came the disciples to Jesus apart, and said, Why could not we cast him out? 20 And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you. 21 Howbeit this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting. - KJV

The disciples were unable to drive out this demon and they asked Jesus why. He didn't point out sin, but their lack of faith. Jesus wasn't condemning the disciples but was disciplining and correcting while teaching how important faith would be in their future ministry.

However, with Jonah, did he do both? Sin and make a mistake? He did run away and intentionally disobey God without even trying. Then when Jonah was in the belly of thy fish for 3 days, He repented with one of the most beautiful prayers in the Bible of thanksgiving while confessing and seeking forgiveness. God saw Jonah's humble heart, forgave him and in His wonderful mercies, gave Jonah renewed chances to finish the task at hand.

Thank you, Clark Thompson, for this topic on Jonah, and am open to further thoughts and learning.

God bless you, Sandpiper.

When I say God's renewed chances, we are human and make mistakes and err, for one example, suppose we are ministering to another and didn't say or act correctly, our intentions are good, but we didn't listen wholeheartedly to the Lord. This has an effect on the other person we're ministering to. So we go back to the Lord and ask, where did I do wrong because we want to get it right.
Really good point, thank you, bobinfaith, for clarification. And thank you Clark Thompson for this thread. Always good to study Jonah. I learn something new every time.

Back