Jonah 2:8-10

Jonah 2:8-10 King James Version (KJV)
8 They that observe lying vanities forsake their own mercy.
9 But I will sacrifice unto thee with the voice of thanksgiving; I will pay that that I have vowed. Salvation is of the LORD.
10 And the LORD spake unto the fish, and it vomited out Jonah upon the dry land.

Jonah 2:8-10 International Children’s Bible (ICB)

8 “People who worship useless idols
give up their loyalty to you.
9 Lord, I will praise and thank you
while I give sacrifices to you.
I will make promises to you.
And I will do what I promise.
Salvation comes from the Lord!”
10 Then the Lord spoke to the fish. And the fish spit Jonah out of its stomach onto the dry land.

International Children’s Bible (ICB) The Holy Bible, International Children’s Bible® Copyright© 1986, 1988, 1999, 2015 by Tommy Nelson™, a division of Thomas Nelson. Used by permission.

These are my thoughts, please share yours.

8 False gods is anything people serve before God, anything people make an idol. We need to make sure God is first in our life. Jonah idol had become his own will because he wasn’t following God’s will. Jonah is referring the Jews who would fall into captivity because of them worshiping idols later.

9 Jonah is trying to remind God who he is, God knew who Jonah was that is why he chose to call him. We also need to know that God knows us as well. Jesus came so we may be saved. God keeps His promises.

10 Jonah was no longer in the fish, it likely the fish spit Jonah on the shore to go to Nineveh.

9 But I will sacrifice unto thee with the voice of thanksgiving; I will pay that that I have vowed. Salvation is of the LORD.
10 And the LORD spake unto the fish, and it vomited out Jonah upon the dry land.

10 Then the Lord spoke to the fish. And the fish spit Jonah out of its stomach onto the dry land.

International Children’s Bible (ICB) The Holy Bible, International Children’s Bible® Copyright© 1986, 1988, 1999, 2015 by Tommy Nelson™, a division of Thomas Nelson. Used by permission.

8 False gods is anything people serve before God, anything people make an idol. We need to make sure God is first in our life. Jonah idol had become his own will because he wasn’t following God’s will. Jonah is referring the Jews who would fall into captivity because of them worshiping idols later.

9 Jonah is trying to remind God who he is, God knew who Jonah was that is why he chose to call him. We also need to know that God knows us as well. Jesus came so we may be saved. God keeps His promises.

10 Jonah was no longer in the fish, it likely the fish spit Jonah on the shore to go to Nineveh.

My Thoughts:

8: Here I think the KJV describes it best. This vanity was his own flesh and will (or idol). However you look at it is clear Jonah put something before God and did not receive God's mercy until he accepted him as first and most important in his life.

9: I believe this is Jonah accepting God's commission on his life. Pronouncing through prayer that as he has realized he almost lost God's mercy that he understands his folly and will worship and do God's will the rest of his days.

10: I think this verse is very literal and a little gross. That being said I believe that God heard and accepted Jonah's prayer, the fish released him (God's mercy) that he may continue God's mission for him as promised.

reading the whole book of Jonah and then focusing on just these 3 verses imo:

Jonah 2:8 is Jonah complaining about God sending him to preach to idol worshippers - knowing that idol worshippers cut themselves off from God - Jonah seemed to not hold Ninevites in high regard and possibly wanted them to perish due to their idolatry

Jonah 2:9 is Jonah saying i am not an idol worshipper like those ninevites

Jonah 2:10 is God putting Jonah back on land so he can get with doing what God said

one of the reasons i believe all this is because Jonah 4:2 Jonah is complaining about the ninevites repenting - strange behavior - unless for some reason Jonah did not like the ninevites - i had heard that the Assyrians in the past had mistreated God's people or knew of the prophecy that the Assyrians would in the future mistreat God's people - i can't find confirmation of either of these situations - perhaps someone else can - and thus the reluctance to help the ninevites

the 2nd reason i believe Jonah 2:8 is Jonah complaining about the idol worshipping ninevites is due to God's words to Jonah in Jonah 4:10-11 - where God told Jonah he should have compassion on the ninevites - meaning Jonah had none - for some reason Jonah really did not care about saving the ninevites - and as per Jonah 4:2 Jonah knew God wanted to save the ninevites

God Bless you my friend

Back