June 20 - World Refugee Day

It's truly international.
Everyone had a right to seek safety and be treated with dignity.

Jesus was a refugee - He fled to Egypt with his mum and dad because King Herod sought to kill him. When it was safe for him to go back, he returned. But some refugees don't ever go back to their homelands and are stuck in refugee camps for years and years.

Because of deteriorating conditions in their homelands, many choose to emigrate, but many are forced to flee because of war. They may have nothing but the clothes on their backs. Let us spare thoughts for the refugees in our own lands , pray for all asylum seekers they have somewhere safe to go, and help where and when we can.

Please also pray for women fleeing unsafe relationships, they find anonymous women's refuges because if they go back, their partners threaten to kill them. There are things you can do to help and ways to bless those in this situation. They need our kindness now in a scary world.

Hello Lanolin;

Yes. We should remember the position refugees are when they are forced to immigrate for various reasons. There are those who have shared with me that they love their home country, there's no place like home. If and when the conditions change they would go back in a heartbeat.
Some have gone back, some have stayed and made a new life and others are stuck because they don't have a choice or means to return.

Women who are in unsafe relationships should always be in our prayers. I can imagine being in a broken relationship and not being able to return because of dangerous consequences.

God bless you and thank you for these reminders, Lanolin.

It's truly international.
Everyone had a right to seek safety and be treated with dignity.

Jesus was a refugee - He fled to Egypt with his mum and dad because King Herod sought to kill him. When it was safe for him to go back, he returned. But some refugees don't ever go back to their homelands and are stuck in refugee camps for years and years.

Because of deteriorating conditions in their homelands, many choose to emigrate, but many are forced to flee because of war. They may have nothing but the clothes on their backs. Let us spare thoughts for the refugees in our own lands , pray for all asylum seekers they have somewhere safe to go, and help where and when we can.

Please also pray for women fleeing unsafe relationships, they find anonymous women's refuges because if they go back, their partners threaten to kill them. There are things you can do to help and ways to bless those in this situation. They need our kindness now in a scary world.
I think many are turned off to the plight of true refugees because (here in America), politicians use it to garner votes allowing a near open border policy having throngs of illegal aliens pour across the borders thus creating the need for detention/refugee camps.
Immigration use to be a legal process where our parents had to go through certain procedures, rather than create a brigade or a flotilla to storm a country due to it's lax immigration policies.
But prayer? Yes for those stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Last edited:
Here in the U.S. our government makes it difficult and expensive to become a citizen, my son-in-law has been working on it for years. It is a shame and an insult to those who are trying to obey our laws and the Government turns a blind eye to the illegal flood of immigrants.

You govt sounds like it doesn't know how to handle any refugee crisis I'm sorry. I'm not sure what I would do in their position, but there is definitley a need for compassion on those who live in desperate circumstances and living in fear of being shot, or raped, or trafficked. If you can't take people in, you can support them in other ways.

In NZ we have refugee settlement centres that help people settle should they come from a war torn country and need refuge. Although it does help that NZ is an Island nation so its not like people can just hop over the border or swim here.

The other thing is Pet Refuge, which is something that is perhaps unique to nz given our terrible domestic violence and abuse stats. This is when women want to leave and find refuge but they can't find places for their pets, so often they may stay because they are afraid if they leave, something will happen to their pets. Who are often their lifeline and emotional support.

So a charity has been set up that takes these pets while these women get their lives sorted out. Then when it's safe they are reunited with their pets. The refuge is in an anonymous location so the violent men can't find them..

Americans have always been compassionate to such people, the problem with what is happening at our southern border is that members of violent gangs are getting through and committing crimes in our country. The news has reported that 3 known terrorists were caught trying to cross into the U.S. it makes you wonder how many made it in.

You govt sounds like it doesn't know how to handle any refugee crisis I'm sorry. I'm not sure what I would do in their position, but there is definitley a need for compassion on those who live in desperate circumstances and living in fear of being shot, or raped, or trafficked. If you can't take people in, you can support them in other ways. In NZ we have refugee settlement centres that help people settle should they come from a war torn country and need refuge. Although it does help that NZ is an Island nation so its not like people can just hop over the border or swim here. The other thing is Pet Refuge, which is something that is perhaps unique to nz given our terrible domestic violence and abuse stats. This is when women want to leave and find refuge but they can't find places for their pets, so often they may stay because they are afraid if they leave, something will happen to their pets. Who are often their lifeline and emotional support. So a charity has been set up that takes these pets while these women get their lives sorted out. Then when it's safe they are reunited with their pets. The refuge is in an anonymous location so the violent men can't find them..

Hello Lanolin;

Except for 3 years in the UK and Europe, I've lived in the USA all my life and have witnessed that we are a people that holds dearly a compassion for the world's suffering who live under extreme circumstances.

We can't solve the whole world's crisis but we do the best we can, one family at a time.

You govt sounds like it doesn't know how to handle any refugee crisis I'm sorry.

However, in these times your statement holds true. Refugees that fall under immigration is broken right now under the current administration.

What we don't hear within our
"broken down" media are the American families who have taken in refugees through a government program called the International Rescue Committee.

Many are of these are from Christian families, and taken from the prayer model in Matthew 6:1-4, 1
“Beware of practicing your righteousness before other people in order to be seen by them, for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven. 2 “Thus, when you give to the needy, sound no trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may be praised by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. 3 But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, 4 so that your giving may be in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you.

The same was done for Vietnamese refugees in 1975, African refugees back in 1984, the Afghan refugees last year and this year many Ukraine refugees.

One thing I can say about living in the United States for most of my life are Americans who believe in God and desire to do good, are a resilient people. We may not have a smooth refugee program right now but I have all the faith it's a work in progress despite the world's conditions and it will improve in the days to come.

Well the UN (United Nations) IS based in the US, thats the whole thing about World Refugee day, it was originally called African refugee day.

But many people don't really know the history.

If you sound a trumpet, it will undo the charity aspect because the whole point of being a refugee is you must remain anonymous because there are people after your life who will come and KILL you if they know where you live.

A lot of refugees change their names to fit in to the new land where they go. They are at risk of being trafficked and raped or enslaved. They don't have money or belongings many must start everything over from scratch.

Americans have always been compassionate to such people, the problem with what is happening at our southern border is that members of violent gangs are getting through and committing crimes in our country. The news has reported that 3 known terrorists were caught trying to cross into the U.S. it makes you wonder how many made it in.
we have the same problem with Australian gangs coming to nz. One guy shot 50 people in mosque. He was part of an online ring of neo-nazis or something.
Then there's this ongoing fight with the tribesmen vs Killer beez. NZ homegrown gangs. ugh
Just up the road from me, we had a shooting. Apparently Aussies are joining these gangs too, maybe cos they have access to more drugs and weapons in their countries. I don't know.

When God made cities of refuges, He understood that those who'd committed crimes also needed somewhere to go otherwise the hurt people would take vengeance.

I'm thinking of Cain also..God marked him and sent him to another city.

For some, prison or jail IS that refuge.

Back