Just Purchased A New Book

Pretty cool. I just ordered this one a couple of weeks ago and just finished it last night (It is a VERY quick read). It's funny, interesting, and thought-provoking.

048755.jpg

I take it that it's from the POV of those questioning Socrates?

No, it's more from the perspective of what the author envisions Socrates would handle Christianity. The author is a Catholic philosopher who has studied Socrates for decades.

The concept of the book (it's more of a script actually), is Socrates mysteriously waking up in Harvard Divinity School in the 1980s and discussing theology with the other students and professors. Because they aren't rational, they just can't accept Christianity, whereas because Socrates IS rational, he reasons his way into the Christian faith.

Peter Kreeft who wrote it originally wanted to write about Socrates literally meeting Jesus, but he couldn't do it because he couldn't figure out how to write fiction about Jesus. So he figured it would be a good idea to write about Socrates indirectly meeting Jesus through reason instead.

No, it's more from the perspective of what the author envisions Socrates would handle Christianity. The author is a Catholic philosopher who has studied Socrates for decades.

The concept of the book (it's more of a script actually), is Socrates mysteriously waking up in Harvard Divinity School in the 1980s and discussing theology with the other students and professors. Because they aren't rational, they just can't accept Christianity, whereas because Socrates IS rational, he reasons his way into the Christian faith.

Peter Kreeft who wrote it originally wanted to write about Socrates literally meeting Jesus, but he couldn't do it because he couldn't figure out how to write fiction about Jesus. So he figured it would be a good idea to write about Socrates indirectly meeting Jesus through reason instead.

I may just have to check it out as it sounds interesting.

Isn't that always the way? The books are infinitely more interesting than when they're made into a movie or play.
Producers and others have their own vision.

Isn't that always the way? The books are infinitely more interesting than when they're made into a movie or play.
Producers and others have their own vision.

Haha, I can think of some movies that I thought were better than the book. I thought Ordinary People was an explosive movie and enjoyed it far more than the book. Kubric's The Shining was better than Stephen King's novel. Steven Spielberg's Jurassic Park was better than the Michael Crichton novel.

Sometimes, I just like the movies so much more because it means I don't have to read :p

Haha, I can think of some movies that I thought were better than the book. I thought Ordinary People was an explosive movie and enjoyed it far more than the book. Kubric's The Shining was better than Stephen King's novel. Steven Spielberg's Jurassic Park was better than the Michael Crichton novel.
I've cut down on my novel reading so I'll take your word on those. ;) I did very much like Jurassic Park. But as a kid I adored Dinosaurs so that's no surprise really.

Sometimes, I just like the movies so much more because it means I don't have to read :p
Oh, I know what you mean. There have been movies that I didn't know were a book before I watched them.
And the movie, 300, because I didn't study ancient history in school, came as a total surprise that it wasn't a comic book translation to film. :ROFLMAO: Mainly because its trailer followed "Sin City", which supposedly is a Marvel comic.
There I was thinking Leonidas and his 300 Spartans were going to kick the Persians behinds. :LOL: I'm always one that roots for the underdog. Even at the odds of 300 to millions. So silly.

Back