Just started at college and looking for a church.

Just started at college and looking for a church.

Hey all. As the title suggests I've moved up to college and am having trouble finding a decent church to attend.... there is a Christian Union but the members generally come from all kinds of churches (apart from Catholics who have their own group.)

So far I've checked out the Catholic and Baptist churches, Catholic Mass was interesting and I enjoyed it - very strict and quite ritualistic of course but the university chaplain is an absolutely wonderful lady, but I'm wondering if 'going to Rome' would be a bit heretical as their doctrine's a bit different.

At the Baptist Church, it was nice and the people were friendly and there was bread & soup & cake & tea afterwards which was lovely, they also suggested going on the Alpha Course starting on Tuesday which would be a good place for me to dicuss Christianity and I could learn a bit more hopefully.

Any help or advice? I could check out some other places but I figured most will be fairly similar in worship styles so I don't think there's much point. Free feel to speculate/talk about your own experiences at college etc.

God bless all.

I usually follow the snacks and tea :).

Why don't you tell us what you are looking for in a church...fellowhip, a start, forgivness, a place to sing songs (the 2nd reason why I attend church, they can't kick me out for my singing abilitites)..etc?

But I tell you what you are looking in the right spots.

Ah, thank you for the response.

Well I would prefer something more traditional I suppose... I like to sing, which seems to be something done in every kind of church, I want to build on my current knowledge rather than go over all the things I've already learned about the Bible and faith generally, fellowship is also universal.

Snacks and tea are of course essential to a poor student who struggles to pay his way through things. ;)

Why not challenge your current knowledge, as long as it's bible based? And in the process I bet it'll bring you more insight.

I've moved all over the U.S. and attended, I'd guess, close to over 75 churches, I only had to leave one during the service and looking back on it I should have stayed to listen.

How does the pastor at the Baptist church speak the word? Does he have a message you find in his or her sermons?

Well thanks for the advice all, challenging my knowledge is a good idea.

I guess it doesn't matter too much, in the grand scheme of things.

God bless.

Silverwolf - before you make a decision, please visit the sites below and read any of the Mission Statements or 'About Us' listings and see if any of these might fit your goals as a Christian...

Minehead Baptist Church, Minehead, Somerset, UK

Living Waters Church / North Somerset, UK

Parish Church of All Saints,Trull - Intro page

the mill

Pill Baptist Church - Pill, Portbury and Easton in Gordano Churches, North Somerset

and a general search directory located here:

Somerset Gateway

Good luck in your search...

Thanks for your help Pastor Gary! Unfortunately those churches are a little far away but thank you nonetheless :eek:

I'm still undecided on whether or not to convert to Catholicism.... I realize there is a bias against that branch of Christianity in general on this forum but yeah... I'm confused...

I would really appreciate others' prayers. Please pray for me, I need it.

Maybe I should just try a few other churches more.... I have taken part in Christian Union meetings and I enjoyed them a lot, so I will continue with those...

Thanks for your help Pastor Gary! Unfortunately those churches are a little far away but thank you nonetheless :eek:

I'm still undecided on whether or not to convert to Catholicism.... I realize there is a bias against that branch of Christianity in general on this forum but yeah... I'm confused...

I would really appreciate others' prayers. Please pray for me, I need it.

Maybe I should just try a few other churches more.... I have taken part in Christian Union meetings and I enjoyed them a lot, so I will continue with those...
Prayer sent my man.

We have no bias here...if you put Jesus first in everything you do all is well.

Take a look at John ch. 3.

It seems as though you already attend Catholic Church or at least that is what is listed in your profile. If you like tradition you should be right at home their. As far as prejudice- all are treated with love and respect here as long as they do not start pushing superiority which is strictly against forum rules. Perhaps the prejudice exists on the other side of the coin?
Anyway the choice is yours, be led of God and do not be fearful to see what the body of Christ has to offer.
Blessings on your day,
Brother Larry.

Prayer sent my man.

We have no bias here...if you put Jesus first in everything you do all is well.

Take a look at John ch. 3.
That is of course my precedence. :)

Thank you all very much for your advice and prayers. ah, I remember being shown John ch. 3 when I first became a Christian. Thanks.

And thank you brother Larry - I am happy to know that is such a caring community here.

Blessings to all.

The Holy Spirit

In my Christian walk I have learnt that the most important thing is to first seek the will of GOD (through prayer & fasting) before making any decisions, and then to follow the leading of The Holy Spirit.
In addition to that, GOD speaks to us through HIS Word, where we can find all the answers concerning what HE expects of a church that is worshipping HIM in Spirit and in Truth (as opposed to observing religion), and so we should carefully study the Scriptures so that we may stay away from anything that is not in agreement with them, and in that way we will not be deceived or led astray.
The right church must be a church that preaches the true Word of GOD (from Genesis to Revelation, with no additional doctrines/rituals that are not in line with the Scriptures), and that walks with and in the move/leading of The Holy Spirit, teaching its members to walk in absolute holiness.
Personally, many are the times that The Holy Spirit has led me to avoid places that in my own understanding I could see nothing wrong with, but by obeying I later came to realize why and to confess "Thank You LORD."
Continue to seek the face of GOD concerning it first, and then follow The Holy Spirit.
Be Blessed.

Hi silverwolf,
I was a catholic for 19 years brother, if you have any questions please ask me in "pm"

whichever church you attend, wherever you go, do not forget these verses

Isaiah 45:5
5 I am the LORD, and there is no other;
There is no God besides Me.

Isaiah 42:8
8 I am the LORD, that is My name;
And My glory I will not give to another,
Nor My praise to carved images. (talking about statues here)

Exodus 20:23
23 You shall not make anything to be with Me—gods of silver or gods of gold you shall not make for yourselves. (talking about statues here/carved images)

And please read Acts 14 :) it has an important message inside bro (try reading it in New King James version it's much easier to understand than King James version)

God bless!

Back