Just wanted to ask...

Just wanted to ask...

I feel a bit embarrased by asking this question but I'm confused and need it answered. I understand there's quite a few different types of bibles, but I understand they all convey the same message, isn't it bad that the bible is being re-written? so for example the new living translation bible. I'm really confused.

I feel a bit embarrased by asking this question but I'm confused and need it answered. I understand there's quite a few different types of bibles, but I understand they all convey the same message, isn't it bad that the bible is being re-written?
Not at all. Remember during the era of the 1st Century Christian Church, there were no printing machines nor copiers at the time. So they woud have to "re-write" or copy them as manuscripts. So even if the original were destroyed, they would still have copies.

But I understand what you are saying. Maybe what you meant was the bible being "revised". If the original thought was altered, then there is great danger to that. Very graet danger indeed.

In the preface of "The Living Bible" they have this observation:
There are dangers in paraphrases, as well as values. For whenever the author's exact words are not translated from the original languages, there is a possibility that the translator, however honest, may be giving the English reader something that the original writer did not mean to say!
That concept can be found in this verse:

For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:

And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book
Rev 22:18-19

So you're right in saying that it's bad if the bible is being "revised". But if they just translating it to another language so people could understand it in their language, it's not bad it's good.

so for example the new living translation bible.
There are good parts of the NLT and there are bad. But I wouldn't throw away the entire translation altogether. It's like throwing the baby w/ the bathwater.

Let me show you some verses of the NLT:

For it is impossible to bring back to repentance those who were once enlightened—those who have experienced the good things of heaven and shared in the Holy Spirit, 5 who have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the power of the age to come—6 and who then turn away from God. It is impossible to bring such people back to repentance; by rejecting the Son of God, they themselves are nailing him to the cross once again and holding him up to public shame.

That's Heb 6:4-6. If you would compare those verses to other versions, the NLT is better. Some versions are hard to understand, espcially those using Shakespearian English. But NLT tranlators did good on these verses :)

Back