Keeping the Sabbath Holy

Hello everyone,

How far should we go in observing the fourth commandment?

I am not concerned about work that helps others, Jesus made it clear when he healed on the sabbath that "good deeds" are allowed and even desirable.

I am worried about household chores. I half convinced myself that if I am working Saturday it's OK to catch up on Sunday because God recognises that we have more time constraints than those in biblical times. We can still keep The Sabbath holy through church and prayer.

Then I remember Jesus' words that we only have two commandments now, to love God and to love each other.

But then I worry that I am following the letter of the Law but not the spirit of it.

Sorry for the long post but this has been worrying me. Is it OK to cook, clean, launder and shop on Sunday's? Or do I need to be more organised?

Sharon

Live in grace, not under the law. Why remain in prison? The sabbath for us is every day. We worship Him in spirit and truth, not on and only on a specific day of the week. You're dead to the law, so why live in it?

Galatians 2:19-21 (KJV)
For I through the law am dead to the law, that I might live unto God. I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me. I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness [come] by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.
Galatians 5:3-4 (KJV)
For I testify again to every man that is circumcised, that he is a debtor to do the whole law. Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.​

Thank you Abdicate. That was my understanding. I was just worried that I was reading it how I wanted it to be - I have often misunderstood the Bible in the past.

Thank you for taking the time to reply to what must seem a stupid question to many people here.

Sharon

It's strange you mentioned this topic. I have a close colleague who is the minister of his own church, but they observe the sabbath and does so on Saturday. The do not observe any other laws applicable to Jewish people, just the sabbath, from the ten commandments. We share often from the bible, but he has a couple times tried to convince me about the sabbath(Saturday) and keeping it Holy. He obviously noticed I'm not inclining to that belief, but we are able to accept one another's belief on that and have great fellowship nonetheless.

Hello everyone,

I am not concerned about work that helps others, Jesus made it clear when he healed on the sabbath that "good deeds" are allowed and even desirable.

I am worried about household chores. I half convinced myself that if I am working Saturday it's OK to catch up on Sunday because God recognises that we have more time constraints than those in biblical times. We can still keep The Sabbath holy through church and prayer.

Then I remember Jesus' words that we only have two commandments now, to love God and to love each other.

But then I worry that I am following the letter of the Law but not the spirit of it.

Sorry for the long post but this has been worrying me. Is it OK to cook, clean, launder and shop on Sunday's? Or do I need to be more organised?

Sharon
You don't have to worry about the Sabbath at all.

Romans 14:5-6 KJV
One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike . Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind. [6] He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it . He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks.

Colossians 2:13-17 KJV
And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses; [14] Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross; [15] And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it. [16] Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days : [17] Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.

You don't need to follow the Sabbath, but if you want to, you can.

Thank you Abdicate. That was my understanding. I was just worried that I was reading it how I wanted it to be - I have often misunderstood the Bible in the past.

Thank you for taking the time to reply to what must seem a stupid question to many people here.

Sharon
Sharon let mer tell you this. You would be hard pressed to find someone in here who had not struggled with this same question at some point in their walk in Christ. There is nothing stupid about it. It shows your heart is towards God and you love Him to the point you want to obey and be respectful of His ways. So Praise God you aksed a very Good question.

God Bless You
Jim

No. I am recently confirmed in the Anglican Church bit I am still very early in my journey hence my ignorance. But I am very keen to learn more about God's word and how he wants us to live.

Sharon

Hebrews chapter 4 explains the doctrine of the Old Testament Sabbath concerning the Spirit-filled Christian/Church.
Remember the many conflicts over doctrine and purpose that Jesus had with the Scribes and Pharisees over The Sabbath Day.
Jesus himself said that man was not made for the Sabbath, but rather the Sabbath was made for man...

Also the Sabbath as a "rest" period from work and worldly pursuits was a precursor of the Spiritual rest that
was to come, and be made available for the New Testament.
When persons become born again by water and Holy Spirit baptism as written in the New Testament they enter the rest - that is by
the Holy spirit they cease from their own endevours; from their own works and rest in the Lord our Saviour; allowing the Holy Spirit
to do the heavy lifting...
Heb 4:1 Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it.
Heb 4:2 For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.
Heb 4:3 For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.
Heb 4:4 For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works.
Heb 4:5 And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest.
Heb 4:6 Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief: [the Jews]
Heb 4:7 Again, he limiteth a certain day, saying in David, To day, after so long a time; as it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts.
Heb 4:8 For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day.
Heb 4:9 There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God.
Heb 4:10 For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his.
Heb 4:11 Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.
For the Spirit-filled Christian this rest is daily and replaces the old Sabbath of the Jews.
Coming together for a Communion meeting is more a matter of tradition first established on Sundays by the early Church.
I take the day off from any employment, etc so as to enjoy a day given to worship and fellowship.

Hebrews chapter 4 explains the doctrine of the Old Testament Sabbath concerning the Spirit-filled Christian/Church.
Remember the many conflicts over doctrine and purpose that Jesus had with the Scribes and Pharisees over The Sabbath Day.
Jesus himself said that man was not made for the Sabbath, but rather the Sabbath was made for man...

Also the Sabbath as a "rest" period from work and worldly pursuits was a precursor of the Spiritual rest that
was to come, and be made available for the New Testament.
When persons become born again by water and Holy Spirit baptism as written in the New Testament they enter the rest - that is by
the Holy spirit they cease from their own endevours; from their own works and rest in the Lord our Saviour; allowing the Holy Spirit
to do the heavy lifting...
Heb 4:1 Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it.
Heb 4:2 For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.
Heb 4:3 For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.
Heb 4:4 For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works.
Heb 4:5 And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest.
Heb 4:6 Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief: [the Jews]
Heb 4:7 Again, he limiteth a certain day, saying in David, To day, after so long a time; as it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts.
Heb 4:8 For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day.
Heb 4:9 There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God.
Heb 4:10 For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his.
Heb 4:11 Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.
For the Spirit-filled Christian this rest is daily and replaces the old Sabbath of the Jews.
Coming together for a Communion meeting is more a matter of tradition first established on Sundays by the early Church.
I take the day off from any employment, etc so as to enjoy a day given to worship and fellowship.
Exactly! Very well said.

Thanks again everyone. Some great bible verses. I am really grateful for all your input.
Sharon

Back