Kindness

I work in a difficult setting with vulnerable adults. Sometimes they want me to do things that they are quite capable of doing themselves. They get angry because they think I’m not being kind. My choice not to help them with that task is hard because I was brought up to please others.
If the other fruits of the Spirit are not present when I’m choosing not to be kind I think I ought not do it as I will sin.
I’m just wondering if that’s correct from a Christian point of view.
Thanks
Hmm I'm not sure it sounds like a bit of a tough situation. If they are capable of doing it themselves maybe just do it in such a way that they are the ones actually doing it but you are there watching and or encouraging, ? Unless they really don't know how to do something in which case you teach them.

I work with children and I would help them (ie with homework) but I wouldn't do their work FOR them cos then they don't learn anything.
I think with adults don't let yourself be manipulated or taken advantage of if you think it's the case. Some love playing the victim and get your running around after them till you're exhausted. You've got to please God first not man.

One of my friends said her church said 'don't hug' which is kinda hard for them as it's the polynesian custom to hug everyone, even complete strangers, to show affection.
In my culture, which is chinese, people don't usually hug anyway. It's more shout your greeting loud enough for anyone to hear, or share food. I would say to mum, you don't have to share your food with me that YOU'VE eaten from a chopstick thats been in your mouth.

I suppose its less gross than other cultures, I've seen people share cigarettes, needles, and other stuff you don't know where it's been, people who don't wash their hands after going to the toilet, people that pick their noses (children, I'm talking about you) not to mention French kissing. Gross man. But more gross is dogs who sniff each others bottoms and don't bury their poo. So their owners pick up their poos in single use plastic bags contributing to the eventual demise of our planet.

Kind is not the same as nice. Sure, they often go together but it's not required.

As for kindness itself, well... that's just correct behavior. :)

Here's how I see it:

If you are kind then there is more kindness in the world.
If you are compassionate then there is more compassion in the world.
If you are merciful then there is more mercy in the world.
If you are patient then there is more patience in the world.

Conversely, if you are mean spirited then there is more mean spiritedness in the world.

Ultimately it's a matter of how you want the world to be then choosing to make it so one person at a time, beginning with yourself.

Back