Knowing God Through The Psalms

The path to greater faith is to know God better, for how can you trust someone you don’t know, and how can you trust someone more if you don’t know him more?

For the last 9 years I've kept a journal of my Bible readings. I keep track of each date, passage, and thing I've discovered. My primary focus is to know God better, so when I find something in my reading that directly or indirectly describes who God is, what He does, why He does it, to whom He does it, and so on, I write it down so I can remember for the benefit of my relationship with Him.

Psalm 18 is one of those psalms that contains much of who God is and what He does. It begins with David saying, “I love You”, and then continues with his reasons why. Here’s what the first verse tells me about my God…
  • He is to be served. David, the king of Israel willingly served God. But Yahweh is a kind and loving master who does more for us than we can do for Him, as the rest of the psalm shows. He is worthy to be served…
  • God saves us from our enemies. This is not to say that we will not be persecuted, but that we can trust that He will bring us through those trials. David was persecuted by Saul, but God delivered him. God delivers us from Satan, our enemy.
  • God is our strength. He doesn't just give us strength – He is our strength. Rather than taking matters into his own hands, David relied on God for deliverance. He proved God through trust, and God came through. Ultimately, this is also the experience of those who also trust in God.
What else does this psalm tell you about God?

Hello Fading man,
The Psalms tell me how much God loves me and How much He wilol take care of me and How much he desires I be in good health and strong. God shows me that he has this for me and since I made Him my refuge and safety place I have no worries.

I just wanted to give you a quick reply and tomorrow which is later today for most I will write out amuch deeper and personal reply.
Thank You for all your postings for they always seem to uplift and aspire.
God Bless
Jim

Thanks, Jim. I always like to post edifying things in light of Philippians 4:8: ...whatever things are true, whatever things are honorable, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report; if there is any virtue, and if there is any praise, think about these things.

Back