Knowledge or Love?

Abstract
Knowledge is something we all have, whether it's knowing how to cook, investments, mechanics, carpentry, etc. We are gifted with life circumstances and experiences which enable us to learn and practice various talents based on necessity or motivation. But, when does knowledge do more to do destroy than build? Short answer, when it makes me the superior. I heard a song today that said, "how can Jesus be my foundation when I trust in me" (I do not recall the name of the song or artist).

OLD TESTAMENT KNOWLEDGE

In the Bible there are two predominant forms of knowledge in the Old Testament;
H1847, which is what we would call "street smarts" or life experience; which is primarily good. Then there is H4486, which is intelligence, reason, and knowledge (lit.). The latter is the one that puffs up because we can overanalyze and assess quickly and even accurately but if that knowledge is conveyed incorrectly to the hearer then it tears down and is very destructive.

NEW TESTAMENT KNOWLEDGE
Then, when we reach the New Testament, something changes - everything. The word "knowledge" is no longer translated from H1487 and H4486 but are now G1108 and G1922. G1108 is the act of knowing or the science of a matter. This form would parallel life experiences we have experienced or endured for the sake of learning Christ. This knowledge is a beautiful thing for eternity's sake but is uncomfortable in life. G1922 is recognition or full discernment. This word would be more likened to "revelation" and the word revelation could almost be inserted in place of this form. When God is revealed to us by experience or an "aha" moment, this would be G1922. Totally different root words for what would appear to be synonymous with the OT form.

DISCUSSION
Someone might say that they are really trying to live for Jesus and I know they drinking, posting obscene things on social media, and in and out of jail. I would likely view them as sub-par and might think things like 'well, if you touch the fire you are bound to get burned'. What I am not thinking in that instance without the mind of Christ is that they really need prayer and someone to reach out to their desperate pleas for help and assurance. Our knowledge should be the revelation of Christ in our lives; not just in external matters but revealed to us and for us in order than Jesus would be lifted up. Remember the song "To Know Him is to Love Him"? That is the kind of knowledge we all need.

CONCLUSION
Therefore, it is important, paramount, to keep in mind that we who are called by His name, Christian, must not focus so much on what is known but what is shown. All that we know in life is that which has been revealed by Christ and He must receive the glory for all that He has revealed to us. Just as our lives do not belong to us neither does the knowledge of it belong to us. We are strangers in a strange land and all that we learn of it should be used to rescue the dying.

Abstract
Knowledge is something we all have, whether it's knowing how to cook, investments, mechanics, carpentry, etc. We are gifted with life circumstances and experiences which enable us to learn and practice various talents based on necessity or motivation. But, when does knowledge do more to do destroy than build? Short answer, when it makes me the superior. I heard a song today that said, "how can Jesus be my foundation when I trust in me" (I do not recall the name of the song or artist).

OLD TESTAMENT KNOWLEDGE
In the Bible there are two predominant forms of knowledge in the Old Testament;
H1847, which is what we would call "street smarts" or life experience; which is primarily good. Then there is H4486, which is intelligence, reason, and knowledge (lit.). The latter is the one that puffs up because we can overanalyze and assess quickly and even accurately but if that knowledge is conveyed incorrectly to the hearer then it tears down and is very destructive.

NEW TESTAMENT KNOWLEDGE
Then, when we reach the New Testament, something changes - everything. The word "knowledge" is no longer translated from H1487 and H4486 but are now G1108 and G1922. G1108 is the act of knowing or the science of a matter. This form would parallel life experiences we have experienced or endured for the sake of learning Christ. This knowledge is a beautiful thing for eternity's sake but is uncomfortable in life. G1922 is recognition or full discernment. This word would be more likened to "revelation" and the word revelation could almost be inserted in place of this form. When God is revealed to us by experience or an "aha" moment, this would be G1922. Totally different root words for what would appear to be synonymous with the OT form.

DISCUSSION
Someone might say that they are really trying to live for Jesus and I know they drinking, posting obscene things on social media, and in and out of jail. I would likely view them as sub-par and might think things like 'well, if you touch the fire you are bound to get burned'. What I am not thinking in that instance without the mind of Christ is that they really need prayer and someone to reach out to their desperate pleas for help and assurance. Our knowledge should be the revelation of Christ in our lives; not just in external matters but revealed to us and for us in order than Jesus would be lifted up. Remember the song "To Know Him is to Love Him"? That is the kind of knowledge we all need.

CONCLUSION
Therefore, it is important, paramount, to keep in mind that we who are called by His name, Christian, must not focus so much on what is known but what is shown. All that we know in life is that which has been revealed by Christ and He must receive the glory for all that He has revealed to us. Just as our lives do not belong to us neither does the knowledge of it belong to us. We are strangers in a strange land and all that we learn of it should be used to rescue the dying.

Knowledge is gathered from learning and education, while most say that wisdom is gathered from day-to-day experiences and is a state of being wise. Knowledge is merely having clarity of facts and truths, while wisdom is the practical ability to make consistently good decisions in life.

Confucius once said that.....
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance."

The old Major once said that ......
"Some people are educated beyond their intelligence".

God said in Proverbs 1:7 that ..........
“The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge but the fool despises wisdom and instruction”.

Knowledge is gathered from learning and education, while most say that wisdom is gathered from day-to-day experiences and is a state of being wise. Knowledge is merely having clarity of facts and truths, while wisdom is the practical ability to make consistently good decisions in life.

Confucius once said that.....
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance."

The old Major once said that ......
"Some people are educated beyond their intelligence".

God said in Proverbs 1:7 that ..........
“The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge but the fool despises wisdom and instruction”.
That's a really good quote from old Major! I think I will adopt that one. ;)

Back