KoG and the KoH

Kingdom of God and Kingdom of Heaven:

Every time I turn around, there's new richness to be learned from others. It wasn't until recently that I became aware of yet another treasure within scripture with implications far beyond, and much deeper, than all the basics of the faith. This goes to the deeper things in Eschatology. I had never realized that there is a difference between the two. Many commentaries out there claim they are one and the same, and therefore interchangeable.

Please read through as much of the following as you are willing, and write your comments here. I'd like to explore this with others.

The Difference Between the Kingdom of God and the Kingdom of Heaven

MM

Every time I turn around, there's new richness to be learned from others. It wasn't until recently that I became aware of yet another treasure within scripture with implications far beyond, and much deeper, than all the basics of the faith. This goes to the deeper things in Eschatology. I had never realized that there is a difference between the two. Many commentaries out there claim they are one and the same, and therefore interchangeable.

Please read through as much of the following as you are willing, and write your comments here. I'd like to explore this with others.

MM
In the last paragraph of "Know Your Audience" the author mentions, as one theory, 'so as not to offend the Jews according to their laws/traditions., the term 'heaven' was used. This has always sat fine with me when I first heard it and haven't questioned it much since.
Then again, Jesus' ministry was mainly to the Jews, yet the writers of the other three Gospels often used 'God' rather than 'heaven'. hmm

In the last paragraph of "Know Your Audience" the author mentions, as one theory, 'so as not to offend the Jews according to their laws/traditions., the term 'heaven' was used. This has always sat fine with me when I first heard it and haven't questioned it much since.
Then again, Jesus' ministry was mainly to the Jews, yet the writers of the other three Gospels often used 'God' rather than 'heaven'. hmm
I never knew that.
But it makes sense.
Thanks

MM

Here is a rebuttal to distinctions between the two word usages, that by Matthew and that by the other Gospel writers (since Matthew actually used many times the Kingdom of Heaven in identical accounts where the other synoptic Gospel authors used Kingdom of God)

That's said, I think a lot of people are, well, far different than me in their conclusions at any rate. I agree with the above rebuttal, but only to a point.

I'm in God's Kingdom now... I haven't a clue where others are at. (Lol) But that's just different theology in general. I'm only waiting on the second advent which will result in everyone's judgement which will come as a thief - I seek no signs. It's as yet unconsummated, but it belongs to God alright..

Last edited:
Here is a rebuttal to distinctions between the two word usages, that by Matthew and that by the other Gospel writers (since Matthew actually used many times the Kingdom of Heaven in identical accounts where the other synoptic Gospel authors used Kingdom of God)

That's said, I think a lot of people are, well, far different than me in their conclusions at any rate. I agree with the above rebuttal, but only to a point.

I'm in God's Kingdom now... I haven't a clue where others are at. (Lol) But that's just different theology in general. I'm only waiting on the second advent which will result in everyone's judgement which will come as a thief - I seek no signs. It's as yet unconsummated, but it belongs to God alright..

Good points.

Further discussions I've listened to over this topic are that the Millennial Kingdom is the outcome and final destination of the "Kingdom of Heaven" that the Jews so much desired, where they would be the servants of the present Lord and God of all creation, with Him leading the world under His rule in Jerusalem. Given that the earth exists within the realm of two of the three heavens, the kingdom of the two heavens is temporal, existing within the Kingdom of God, given that He is everywhere at once, with the earth as His footstool, and the two physical heavens as His throne (figuratively speaking).

As you can see, this can get really complex to the point of confusion. It touches upon two realms...one within which we live and experience daily, and the other with which we have no experience nor vision and comprehension. I agree that we as believers are citizens of the Kingdom of God. I have no desire for an earthly kingdom since all such will eventually perish away with this earth and the current two of three heavens.

Is my understanding of all this fallible? You bet! This is why I seek the Lord in prayer for His thoughts and ways that are above ours as the heavens are above the earth. I covet His thoughts and His ways. I want all that He can give that I'm able to possess and understand. Those things that I can't understand, well, give those to me as well so that they may help align the comprehensible things with what's important to convey to others, and what to retain from a world not yet prepared to receive such depths.

Sorry, but that's the extent of my greed...I want it all that God can give that my little brain and soul, heart and spirit are able to hold. What the Lord gives to us is what gives us the ability to discern people and things around us in this life, and in the life to come. The more of Him that we have, the closer we come to loving others and each other with a godly love beyond mere human ability. I like receiving lofty cookies that I can place on the lower shelf for all the kiddies. Those morsels are the more tasty pastries that whet their appetite for deeper and more profoundly life-changing events in their spiritual growth as well.

MM

Justin Johnson wrote:

The phrase “kingdom of heaven” is only found in the book of Matthew, though it is described all throughout the scriptures to Israel.

Luke uses the phrase “kingdom of God” the most. He uses it primarily to describe Israel’s promised kingdom, but sometimes in Acts referring to what Paul taught.

Paul uses the phrase “kingdom of God” eight times in his epistles and never once uses it to describe the earthly kingdom to Israel.

More Kingdoms …

There are more kingdom phrases than just “kingdom of heaven” and “kingdom of God”. Paul uses the phrases “kingdom of his dear Son”, “kingdom of Christ”, and “heavenly kingdom” which are not found anywhere else in the Bible.

They are strictly Pauline because the main subject of the revelation given to Paul was not about the earthly kingdom discussed in Matthew or Luke. Neither was it about Israel and the fulfillment of their scriptures.

It was a mystery of Christ about those who would sit in heavenly places.

“Whereby, when ye read, ye may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ” – Eph 3:4
In this mystery was defined a new creature called the Church, which is his body.

“And hath put all things under his feet, and gave him to be the head over all things to the church, Which is his body, the fulness of him that filleth all in all.” – Eph 1:22-23
The Church and Kingdom are Different

The church is not a kingdom or a nation. Being seated in heavenly places is not the kingdom of heaven come to earth (Eph 2:6, Mat 6:10).

People will enter into the kingdom. This language is not used when talking about the Church.

The kingdom is a dominion; the Church is a body.

The kingdom is the subject of prophesy; the Church is not.

The kingdom will be on earth; the Church is forever in heaven.

The kingdom has gates, walls, and mansions. The Church is a spiritual union without the rudiments of the world (Col 2:10, 20).

Same Phrase, Different Meanings

The phrase “kingdom of God” is used by Matthew, Luke, and Paul.

In Matthew we learn the “kingdom of God” can refer to the physical, literal, earthly kingdom promised to Israel.

In Luke we learn it can also speak to the spiritual principles in that kingdom.

With Paul we learn it can also refer to the universal spiritual reign of God which includes all dominions and principalities.

What does this mean? That the same phrase, “kingdom of God” or “kingdom” can have different uses and different meanings, in different contexts.

For this reason, Paul says we have been translated into the kingdom of his dear Son placing the Church also under the universal dominion of Christ (Col 1:13-18). Being in Christ we are under God’s rule (1 Cor 10:3).

All Things in Christ

Everyone in Christ will be under God’s authority in his eternal reign according to Ephesians 1:10. Some will be on earth, some will be in heaven.

“That in the dispensation of the fulness of times he might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth; even in him:” – Eph 1:10
The Church will be in heaven having nothing to do with the earth and the things to come here. The kingdom is never the same as the Church.

People struggle with the difference between the “kingdom of heaven” and the “kingdom of God” in the Bible. The answer is in the context of what was prophesied and what was a mystery. If you do not rightly divide, you will get it wrong.

It would be better to find the dividing line between prophecy and mystery than to force a separation between two kingdom phrases used in Jesus’ earthly ministry that may not be as clear as some dispensationalists would like.

I thought this was an interesting take.

MM

MM

Well my dear brother, I am not the authority on this question any more that I am on any other question.

I will however say that The phrase “kingdom of God” occurs 68 times in 10 different New Testament books, while “kingdom of heaven” occurs only 32 times, and only in the Gospel of Matthew. Based on Matthew’s exclusive use of the phrase and the book itself it written to and focused on Jewish nature of his Gospel, some interpreters have concluded that Matthew was writing concerning the millennial kingdom while the other New Testament authors were referring to the universal kingdom. However, a closer study of the use of the phrase reveals that this interpretation might jusr say something else.

For example, speaking to the rich young ruler, Christ uses “kingdom of heaven” and “kingdom of God” interchangeably. “Then Jesus said to his disciples, ‘I tell you the truth, it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven’” (Matt. 19:23).

In the very next verse, Christ proclaims, “Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God” (verse 24). Jesus makes no distinction between the two terms but seems to consider them synonymous.

Back