Latin

Does anybody here speak or use Latin much?

I only really use it when I'm looking up plant names.
I'm supposing if you were raised in a catholic environment you would probably be more familiar with Latin as a language, or if you lived in Latin America?

What about Latin Bibles. Was it really spoken a lot in Jesus time, or were the Romans speaking something else. Why do you think it has died out?

We know that Hebrew and Aramaic were the original languages of the Old Testament and 'common' or 'street' Greek was the language of the New Testament. Historically speaking, even though Latin was used throughout the Roman Empire, the first complete bible translation from the Roman Empire, commissioned by Pope Damascus in Latin around 383 AD, was finally published around 402 AD (The Vulgate). The Roman Empire Governors, in areas under the control of the Romans, usually spoke the common language of the area that they were in, and not necessarily Latin. After the Fall of Rome around 476 AD, there was no longer a need for Latin to be used in areas once occupied by Roman troops, so Latin, as a primary language, eventually disappeared from common usage.

I would have called Latin a dead language but this article makes the claim that the language is not dead.

There are no native countries today, that speak Latin and yet the number apparently that can speak Latin is growing again. Who this group is exactly I'm not sure, but I suspect most are those who desire to read the Latin Vulgate.

? makes no sense though, why is it called Latin America?
And why was the Bible translated into latin when nobody spoke it? To make it harder?

The term "Latin America" refers to the areas south of the United States where the Latin derived languages are spoken - Spanish, Portuguese and French. As the areas of Central and South America were conquered by the Spanish, Portuguese and French Empires, they brought their respective Latin based languages with them and taught it in schools in the areas that they took over. Therefore, these areas came to be known as "Latin America".

Something quite similar took place during the reign of the Roman Empire. During the predominance of the Roman Empire, most persons under the control of Rome were taught the Latin language, in addition to their own native languages. It was with that in mind that Rome ordered the Bible to be translated into Latin and published in 402 AD, so only one version would be required to be distributed throughout the Empire instead of many different language Bibles for each region that had been taken over by the Roman armies, since most persons knew at least some Latin by then. Once the Roman Empire fell in 476 AD, Latin was all but forgotten over a span of time.

`

Does anybody here speak or use Latin much?

I only really use it when I'm looking up plant names.
I'm supposing if you were raised in a catholic environment you would probably be more familiar with Latin as a language, or if you lived in Latin America?

What about Latin Bibles. Was it really spoken a lot in Jesus time, or were the Romans speaking something else. Why do you think it has died out?
I grew up in East Los Angeles (a heavily Hispanic neighborhood), took a few classes in Spanish and French and in my BC days had a girl friend from Guatemala. My wife now is Portuguese. Does any of that count? LoL
The Spanish does help while muddling through some of the old western theological hoopla books. ugh

so only one version would be required to be distributed throughout the Empire instead of many different language Bibles for each region that had been taken over by the Roman armies, since most persons knew at least some Latin by then.
You mean to tell me the KJV was written in Latin!? (just kidding, just kidding)

Can someone post the first chapter of Genesis in Latin here, I want to see if I recognise any words.
If they are using the alphabet, it should be easy to read, it's not greek letters.

Roman numerals though, hate them. Arabic ones are so much easier.

The link below shows English in the left column and Latin in the right column. (Staff Disclaimer - this is for information only for Lanolin and page advertising content should be ignored. The information on the linked site is copyrighted © material and may not be copied or used in any way except to read on the website.)

http://www.latinvulgate.com/verse.aspx?t=0&b=1

`

? makes no sense though, why is it called Latin America?
And why was the Bible translated into latin when nobody spoke it? To make it harder?

The term "Latin America" refers to the areas south of the United States where the Latin derived languages are spoken - Spanish, Portuguese and French. As the areas of Central and South America were conquered by the Spanish, Portuguese and French Empires, they brought their respective Latin based languages with them and taught it in schools in the areas that they took over. Therefore, these areas came to be known as "Latin America".

Something quite similar took place during the reign of the Roman Empire. During the predominance of the Roman Empire, most persons under the control of Rome were taught the Latin language, in addition to their own native languages. It was with that in mind that Rome ordered the Bible to be translated into Latin and published in 402 AD, so only one version would be required to be distributed throughout the Empire instead of many different language Bibles for each region that had been taken over by the Roman armies, since most persons knew at least some Latin by then. Once the Roman Empire fell in 476 AD, Latin was all but forgotten over a span of time.

`

Hello Lanolin;
Good question.

And good explanation, Pastor Gary.

Latin has variables and was a complicated language as one of the reasons it phased out for various reasons, I don't know exactly what, why or when, but it may have been around the years 600 - 800.

Ironically, many latin words are still used in the world of language and English.

On a side note, when I visit our family I will attend Latin mass with my Dad. He is still a devout Catholic and attends the only Latin spoken service in San Diego. I have to use a program to follow but when the priest gives the homily, then it's in English.

When the church does Communion the priest will say "the body of Christ" in Latin before I received the toast, but I will only respond with "amen."

Do they read the latin or do they actively speak it as in have a conversation in it in catholic churches?
Why do they still do it do you think.

I recognise quite a few words, it doesn't seem that hard to understand.

Do they read the latin or do they actively speak it as in have a conversation in it in catholic churches?
Why do they still do it do you think.

I recognise quite a few words, it doesn't seem that hard to understand.

There are variations of latin like classical latin which is more complex than standard latin. Then there is vulgar latin, not in the sense of bad words, but a more simple standard version and also in the local village.

Another is pig latin but I don't know if this is considered serious latin. I don't know.

Some latin may be simple to read or understand, like nihil for no, and etiam for yes, because of the syllables.

The Catholic church doesn't have a whole of latin services worldwide like it used to, and most of the congregants don't really understand the lingo and follow the printed out program, but the reason they still do latin service, to me, is because of tradition. I could be wrong but I'm going by what I have observed.

The Catholic church doesn't have a whole of latin services worldwide like it used to, and most of the congregants don't really understand the lingo and follow the printed out program, but the reason they still do latin service, to me, is because of tradition. I could be wrong but I'm going by what I have observed.
500 years from now, I wouldn't be surprised if there are still some stick-in-the-mud 1611 KJV only people no matter how archaic the language. Vatican II did a number to the old Latin Rite Service.

500 years from now, I wouldn't be surprised if there are still some stick-in-the-mud 1611 KJV only people no matter how archaic the language. Vatican II did a number to the old Latin Rite Service.
I'm surprised that those most vocal KJV only people seem to be Americans, you would think they would be English people who wouldn't ever have left England to go and live in America. lol

Fundamentalists are stick in the muds wherever they go though.

I do wonder about those snake handling hillbilly churches in the mountains. Why did the latin churches miss out on that particular craziness? But they do have a thing for holy water I heard.
that is in the hills of Kentucky. this guy has never picked up a rattle snake a day in my life . but you can watch this

Back