Lean on GOD

Take an opportunity simply to rest. Curl up somewhere comfortable and cozy. Lean back and let the tension melt from your muscles. Can you imagine your body resting this way if you did not have the cushions to lean against, the sofa to hold the weight of your body? Can you imagine your inner being finding rest if there was no place to lean, no one to trust, no one to help with all the worries and cares in your heart?

Pull your child/grandchild into your lap and feel his/her body relax against you, getting comfortable, trusting you to hold him/her, telling you all about what he/she been doing. As they lean on you, imagine yourself leaning into God's arms--with the assurance of a child.

What worries and concerns are weighing heavily on you? Read the following verses of Scripture and hear God's plea that you give those burdens to Him. Notice he does not offer to "help" you with the burdens; he offers to completely bear them for you. He asks you to let go of them and let him have them.

When you place your weight---the burden of your body---on the sofa, you know that it isn't going to collapse under you and let you fall. Just as you trust that your furniture will hold your weight, so also trust God; He is able to hold the weight of your soul's burdens. Tell Him about each one and make the conscious choice to leave the matter in his hands. Lean on Him.

Elisha A Hoffman

1. Give your burdens to the LORD, and he will take care of you. He will not permit the godly to slip and fall (Psalms 55:22)1

2. Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you....And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong , firm and steadfast. (1 Peter 5:7, 10)

3. Thus says the LORD, "Stand by the ways and see and ask for the ancient paths, Where the good way is, and walk in it; And you will find rest for your souls." (Jeremiah 6:16)

4. {Jesus said,} "Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. (Matthew 11:28-29)

Back