Learning a new language

Bob, I never attended this Chinese church in Seattle's China town, but my wife's mother did and we know a number of the members. We've also been invited a number of times, but it is quite a ways from our home.

We've been to another Chinese church where most spoke Mandarin. They also broadcasted an English translation for those of us that spoke only English. Someone behind the scenes translated the sermon and there were both English and Chinese Bulletins handed out.

Hi Chuck;

My interview was back in 2009 when the church was 26 years old. They must be close to 38 years old today. I do remember they were a warm Christian church family. I was impressed how the senior pastor was able to make the languages work for this church ministry.

I discovered a language called konkani, it's oral and hasn't ever been written down.

I volunteer on community radio, which has programs in all diffferent languages to keep the language alive in communities. However my show is just in English, though gardening has its own language (some of it is Latin) though I prefer to use common names as nobody really speaks Latin.

I have been listening to a cantonese audio book each morning, 5 new words each lesson. I love learning vocab, but sometimes speaking fluently in another langauge is hard because you have to think about what you say first. In english if you are fluent, somehow you don't really have to think about whether the words are a verb or noun or what order it is before you say or write them.

My wife and I visited a close Christian family gathering to remember the family's late Dad and Mom. While there I met a young Filipina woman visiting the US with her parents. We talked about our faith, her church in the Philippines, the culture, growing up in Manila but she never learned to speak the language (Tagalog) fluently but speaks good English.

She and her parents have been staying in Oakland. They also visited Pennsylvania and other parts of New England.

My wife and I visited a close Christian family gathering to remember the family's late Dad and Mom. While there I met a young Filipina woman visiting the US with her parents. We talked about our faith, her church in the Philippines, the culture, growing up in Manila but she never learned to speak the language (Tagalog) fluently but speaks good English.

She and her parents have been staying in Oakland. They also visited Pennsylvania and other parts of New England.
I had a filipino friend and she spoke English with an American accent.

Back