Learning Genesis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok let's finish this section off with number 5 because 6,7 & 8 look like they will cause me some difficulty.

5 God called the light Day, and the darkness He called Night. So the evening and the morning were the first day.

Ok that seems straightforward enough and wraps up the light and dark business and he finishes work for the first day. It seems quite literal that scripture?

I forgot, you are now in charge of who is allowed to ask and answer questions on this "Christian" forum?

It means that it's my thread to ask about Genesis. Not one for you to be asking me questions when you misunderstand.

You already got my other thread closed so I would rather you not stick your nose in on this one because I find it interesting. If you have a good answer to my question then fine, answer away but if you start posting comments like a spoilt child then I'll ignore you (again).

Just one thing that puzzles me that I noticed on number 5 before moving on. Here, god has defined night and day but has not yet created the sun and moon. Is that scripture in the wrong order as it would seem more logical to create the sun/moon before a 24 hour cycle?

It means that it's my thread to ask about Genesis. Not one for you to be asking me questions when you misunderstand.

You already got my other thread closed so I would rather you not stick your nose in on this one because I find it interesting. If you have a good answer to my question then fine, answer away but if you start posting comments like a spoilt child then I'll ignore you (again).
Look you "think" you are some person of reason or logic and that you can come on a Christian forum and insult the folks, it happens all the time on this forums. Most "Christian" forums will not subject its members to such things and to the insults of people like you. Why they allow you to continue on this forum and continue to insult the faith of others is a bit of a mystery to me? What you need is a good lashing with the Word of God and to be sent back to your own religion.

Last edited:
Just one thing that puzzles me that I noticed on number 5 before moving on. Here, god has defined night and day but has not yet created the sun and moon. Is that scripture in the wrong order as it would seem more logical to create the sun/moon before a 24 hour cycle?

God did not "define" night and day....He uses the phrase "the evening and the morning". Also you need to check out what some of these words mean..."day" or Yom can mean many things...when the Bible says "A day unto the Lord is as 1,000 years unto man" and as pointed out by you there is no planet to rotate before a created Sun on days 1-3, then why would you assume this meaning is the same as we understand it when we read it in a modern tongue? Also in relation to 1,000 it is a number used symbolically for any huge or uncountable number and can even mean ALL of something...the "24 hour cycle" IS dependent on the earth rotating in relation to the Sun...all else is conjecture on your part and on the part of the literalist who isn't thinking like the ancient Hebrews

I don't know what's gone on in other threads that I haven't read. So far this one hasn't gone off post and no one seems to be mocking. If, as Tubby has claimed on threads I have read, that he does not believe in God then starting to try and learn Genesis is a good start and should be encouraged. Mitspa, I believe you are a good Christian man and I often enjoy your posts.

I don't know what's gone on in other threads that I haven't read. So far this one hasn't gone off post and no one seems to be mocking. If, as Tubby has claimed on threads I have read, that he does not believe in God then starting to try and learn Genesis is a good start and should be encouraged. Mitspa, I believe you are a good Christian man and I often enjoy your posts.
Thanks silk, and I do believe the intention of this thread and the last one started by tobby was and is to "insult" the faith of the believers on this forum. But as you have said he has been careful to keep this thread on a level of debate that is not offensive. I don't really want to go back and look up all the insults he has made towards our beliefs, but I assure you they are there. I hope you guys "mods" will be a defense for us in these things as I know you are Silk.

Thanks silk, and I do believe the intention of this thread and the last one started by tobby was and is to "insult" the faith of the believers on this forum. But as you have said he has been careful to keep this thread on a level of debate that is not offensive. I don't really want to go back and look up all the insults he has made towards our beliefs, but I assure you they are there. I hope you guys "mods" will be a defense for us in these things as I know you are Silk.

Perhaps I am just interested in learning a bit about the bible seeing as I've never read any of it before?

Perhaps I am just interested in learning a bit about the bible seeing as I've never read any of it before?
Look tubby, I do not want to insult you and your beliefs I have many friends who are not believers, but we have learned to treat each other as we want to be treated. They do not insult my faith and I do not insult there belief system. This is a "Christian" forum and I hope you would treat our faith with the respect you would desire for your own beliefs?

I have one friend who does not care that you speak against anything but never say anything against the Union. So i agreed with him that I would respect his belief in the union and he would respect my faith, and try not to use profane speech around me. We get alone fine and are planning a fishing trip. But he respects my beliefs and desire to live before God, and I respect him and those things that are important to him.

Mitspa, can we leave this thread for its intended purpose please. We can discuss these things elsewhere.
Well if a discussion is to take place? Its good that an understanding and respect for others is established. I am trying to help you understand where you are and why your insults of our faith is a slap in the face to all the members of this forum.

God did not "define" night and day....He uses the phrase "the evening and the morning". Also you need to check out what some of these words mean..."day" or Yom can mean many things...when the Bible says "A day unto the Lord is as 1,000 years unto man" and as pointed out by you there is no planet to rotate before a created Sun on days 1-3, then why would you assume this meaning is the same as we understand it when we read it in a modern tongue? Also in relation to 1,000 it is a number used symbolically for any huge or uncountable number and can even mean ALL of something...the "24 hour cycle" IS dependent on the earth rotating in relation to the Sun...all else is conjecture on your part and on the part of the literalist who isn't thinking like the ancient Hebrews

I have to treat it literally as a starting point as I have no other way to access it. Ok, I take the point that this scripture talks of 'night and day' as not in the literal meaning that I know it.

I'll move on to the next parts as I think I have an angle on this first scripture now thanks.

Well if a discussion is to take place? Its good that an understanding and respect for others is established. I am trying to help you understand where you are and why your insults of our faith is a slap in the face to all the members of this forum.
Mitspa - Please start a new thread if you wish to change the topic.

Not trying to change the topic, trying to figure out if our faith is to be insulted on this forum? If it is? then I will go to another forum..
The topic here is Tubby trying to understand Genesis. If you wish to explore insults to our faith, please do so in a new thread.

I hope I can answer this since I don't believe it got answered due to the interruptions and pride of some. You are correct, the sun, moon and stars weren't made until day 4.

Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

Genesis 1:1 "In the beginning..." is this single word in Hebrew (בְּרֵאשִׁ֖ית) which can be broken down like this: add a space after the second letter and you get בְּרֵ אשִׁ֖ית meaning Son I make which we know by Jesus, the Son of God, literally.

So God created the heavens and the earth, and now we have a grammatical parenthesis about the condition of the earth in verse 2.

Genesis 1:2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness [was] upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

So the earth was without form and void; no shape, no substance, just void, empty. The Hebrew word for deep is תְּהוֹם t’howm (teh-home') 1. an abyss (as a surging mass of water), especially the deep (the main sea or the subterranean water-supply) What is in the deep, darkness. This abyss is dark, deep and called waters. The three most abundant elements in the universe are hydrogen, helium and oxygen. Two hydrogen atoms and one oxygen atom makes up a molecule of water. Interesting. The way I see this verse is that all the elements, were now present like a bucket of Legos ready to be assembled. Remember God created this in verse 1. It was time to assemble, make everything. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. The word moved means to brood, like a bird incubating an egg, fluttering its wings to generate heat. The Holy Spirit was energizing these elements within this great void, the deep.

Notice this verse:

Hebrews 11:3 Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.

Something from nothing, whatever that nothing was! This will make sense in a moment. So far, we have the manifestation of the Son, Jesus, and that All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.John 1:3. The word made in this verse is γίνομαι ginomai (ghin'-om-ai) v. 1. to cause to be ("gen"-erate), 2. to become (come into being). We also have the heavens and it says the earth, but wait there is no earth… ah... God was speaking of what He was going to cause to become!

Genesis 1:3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.

So in the deep already was darkness and now God created light, but this isn’t the sun because that’s not until day four! We’re still on day one! Energy is light and it was generated by the Holy Spirit brooding. Since the elements were created in verse 1, and because of the Holy Spirit incubating we now have energized elements and light (energy) came into being.

Genesis 1:4 And God saw the light, that [it was] good: and God divided the light from the darkness.

Remember we had darkness already, now we have light, and God divided them. The word divided is really to make a distinction. What exactly is this darkness? It’s not evil because everything God makes is good as we’ll see soon. Thinking logically the darkness is the lack of energy, the substrate for the elements. What can you see in the dark? Nothing. (Hebrews 11:3) But it is something. And now we see a phenomenon that scientists are grappling with, something they call, by coincidence(?), dark matter. Dark matter isn’t a substance per se but something that affects the galaxies through a gravitational pull that cannot be seen.

“Physicists have known the stuff must exist since 1933, when Fritz Zwicky, a Swiss astro-physicist, coined the term to describe a substance which cannot be seen but without which visible galaxies would fly apart as they rotate. The latest results from the European Space Agency’s Planck satellite suggest it makes up 85% of all the matter in the universe.” (1)

Wow! 85% of the universe cannot be seen among that which can be seen. Interesting. Well, God’s word says just that! The word for darkness in Genesis 1:4 spelled exactly the same, but when used as a verb also means to restrain! This darkness restrains the light! Awesome how accurate the word of God is! And scientists are observing it, they just can't see the nothing!

Genesis 1:5 And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.

Again we have now the faith being spoken of what will become, Day and Night. The sun still isn’t made yet, so what does this mean. Literally, the illumination is called a period of time and the word for night is literally a protective shadow. And this was the evening (first darkness remember) and the morning (the light) ended this period of time. The words first day is literally day united, not first because there is nothing to compare it to, and the word in Hebrew is not the ordinal number of one.

I hope this answers your question.

Reference:

(1) http://www.economist.com/news/scien...9-hunt-missing-85-matter-universe-closing-its

Just my 2 cents :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back