Learning Genesis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gen 4:19 Then Lamech took for himself two wives: the name of one was Adah, and the name of the second was Zillah. 20 And Adah bore Jabal. He was the father of those who dwell in tents and have livestock. 21 His brother’s name was Jubal. He was the father of all those who play the harp and flute. 22 And as for Zillah, she also bore Tubal-Cain, an instructor of every craftsman in bronze and iron. And the sister of Tubal-Cain was Naamah.

23 Then Lamech said to his wives:

“Adah and Zillah, hear my voice;
Wives of Lamech, listen to my speech!
For I have killed a man for wounding me,
Even a young man for hurting me.
24 If Cain shall be avenged sevenfold,
Then Lamech seventy-sevenfold.”

Lamech is clearly self-important by referring to himself in third person to his wives.

So Lamech is saying that his murderous activity is 11 times worse than the murder committed by his great-great-great grandfather?

What is his reasoning?
I think it shows that Lamech was filled with self-importance. The reference for this "avenging" is :

Gen. 4:14 Surely You have driven me out this day from the face of the ground; I shall be hidden from Your face; I shall be a fugitive and a vagabond on the earth, and it will happen that anyone who finds me will kill me.”
15 And the Lord said to him, “Therefore, whoever kills Cain, vengeance shall be taken on him sevenfold.” And the Lord set a mark on Cain, lest anyone finding him should kill him.

Lamech for whatever reason wanted even more protection for himself by claiming the same curse on anyone who would try to avenge the murder he committed. Except Lamech said, Well if great-great-great grand dad was protected with 7 times vengeance, then surely I should be protected not just 7 times, but 77 times the vengeance.

At least you are getting to see how people understand it and some of the reasons why....and that is good regardless of whether or not you come to the place where you are a believer. My only hope for any Atheist is to at least get them to become what I consider more honest...an agnostic...who does not deny the possibility, even though they have no reason based on their experience or knowledge.
One thing I wish more bible non-believers considered is that those who were inspired to write the bible wrote not only about the bad things bad people did, but also their own foibles and failings, and even the evil that their most revered prophets and forefathers and kings committed. A holy book only man inspired would not detail the terrible things that they themselves or their heroes had done.

Gen 5:1 This is the book of the genealogy of Adam. In the day that God created man, He made him in the likeness of God. 2 He created them male and female, and blessed them and called them Mankind in the day they were created. 3 And Adam lived one hundred and thirty years, and begot a son in his own likeness, after his image, and named him Seth. 4 After he begot Seth, the days of Adam were eight hundred years; and he had sons and daughters. 5 So all the days that Adam lived were nine hundred and thirty years; and he died.

This is straightforward enough, even though living for 930 years still seems strange to me. Also a bit odd that a genealogy of Adam doesn't mention his first two sons but there you go.

Gen 5:6 Seth lived one hundred and five years, and begot Enosh. 7 After he begot Enosh, Seth lived eight hundred and seven years, and had sons and daughters. 8 So all the days of Seth were nine hundred and twelve years; and he died.

9 Enosh lived ninety years, and begot Cainan. 10 After he begot Cainan, Enosh lived eight hundred and fifteen years, and had sons and daughters. 11 So all the days of Enosh were nine hundred and five years; and he died.

Understood.

Gen 5:12 Cainan lived seventy years, and begot Mahalalel. 13 After he begot Mahalalel, Cainan lived eight hundred and forty years, and had sons and daughters. 14 So all the days of Cainan were nine hundred and ten years; and he died.

15 Mahalalel lived sixty-five years, and begot Jared. 16 After he begot Jared, Mahalalel lived eight hundred and thirty years, and had sons and daughters. 17 So all the days of Mahalalel were eight hundred and ninety-five years; and he died.

Understood.

@TubbyTubby There are ministries in the previous generation, imagine almost 6000 years ago... if you believe the word of God first, then try and figure it out, you'll get it. But you have to believe it first. Science once said the universe was eternal. Now it says it had a beginning, which is what the scriptures say. So, using this premiss, what caused them to stop living so long? You'll see later... :)

@TubbyTubby Genesis 5 - this should blow your mind...

Name, In Hebrew, Meaning

Adam
אָדָם
ruddy, man, person, or mankind

Seth
שֵׁת
Substituted or appointed – Gen 4:25; put; who puts; fixed

Enos
אֱנוֹשׁ
mortal, sickly, despaired of; forgetful

Cainan
קֵינָן
to chant a dirge; lament – Amos 8:10; Ezekiel 27:32; 1 Samuel 1:17

Mahalaleel
מַהֲלַלְאֵל
From מַ, praise הֲלַלְ, God אֵל – literally “From Praise God” or “Praising God”

Jared
יָרֶד
a ruling; commanding; coming down

Enoch
חֲנוֹךְ
teaching

Methuselah
מְתוּשָׁלַח
dwelling-places; afflicted; his death will bring

Lamech
לָמֶךְ
poor; made low; good for nothing

Noah
נֹחַ
repose; consolation; rest

Man, appointed mortal [and] sorrow[ful]. From praise God coming down teaching. His death will bring [the] poor consolation.

I present some thoughts on the sentence. Because Adam sinned, and because we all come from him, we die – made mortal (1). Because we sinned, we are to have our days full of sorrow (2). Indeed! Praise God, He (Jesus) came down (3) and taught (4) us that by His death on the cross He will give us Peace (5)!

(1) Genesis 2:17“But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.”

(2) Genesis 3:17 “And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life;”Genesis 3:19 “In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.”

(3) John 6:33 “For the bread of God is he which cometh down from heaven, and giveth life unto the world.” John 6:48 “I am that bread of life.”

(4) John 12:49 “For I have not spoken of myself; but the Father which sent me, he gave me a commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak.”

(5) Colossians 1:20 “And, having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to reconcile all things unto himself; by him, I say, whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven.”Luke 4:18-21 “The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised, To preach the acceptable year of the Lord. And he closed the book, and he gave it again to the minister, and sat down. And the eyes of all them that were in the synagogue were fastened on him. And he began to say unto them, This day is this scripture fulfilled in your ears.”

You could even cut and paste the Hebrew and put it into Google’s translation and see that the meanings are still close even with the differences between modern and ancient Hebrew. You’ll have to separate Mahalale-el to get proper translation. Cainan is lost as noted and Seth has a different meaning today.

This is what we call the "Plan of Salvation" right there in the names of Genesis 5!

Gen 5:18 Jared lived one hundred and sixty-two years, and begot Enoch. 19 After he begot Enoch, Jared lived eight hundred years, and had sons and daughters. 20 So all the days of Jared were nine hundred and sixty-two years; and he died.

21 Enoch lived sixty-five years, and begot Methuselah. 22 After he begot Methuselah, Enoch walked with God three hundred years, and had sons and daughters. 23 So all the days of Enoch were three hundred and sixty-five years. 24 And Enoch walked with God; and he was not, for God took him.

25 Methuselah lived one hundred and eighty-seven years, and begot Lamech. 26 After he begot Lamech, Methuselah lived seven hundred and eighty-two years, and had sons and daughters. 27 So all the days of Methuselah were nine hundred and sixty-nine years; and he died.

28 Lamech lived one hundred and eighty-two years, and had a son. 29 And he called his name Noah, saying, “This one will comfort us concerning our work and the toil of our hands, because of the ground which the Lord has cursed.” 30 After he begot Noah, Lamech lived five hundred and ninety-five years, and had sons and daughters. 31 So all the days of Lamech were seven hundred and seventy-seven years; and he died.

32 And Noah was five hundred years old, and Noah begot Shem, Ham, and Japheth.

Ok got all that.

Gen 6:1 Now it came to pass, when men began to multiply on the face of the earth, and daughters were born to them, 2 that the sons of God saw the daughters of men, that they were beautiful; and they took wives for themselves of all whom they chose.

3 And the Lord said, “My Spirit shall not strive with man forever, for he is indeed flesh; yet his days shall be one hundred and twenty years.” 4 There were giants on the earth in those days, and also afterward, when the sons of God came in to the daughters of men and they bore children to them. Those were the mighty men who were of old, men of renown.

So a man just chooses which wife he fancies and she has no choice or am I reading too much into this?

I've heard mention of these giants before. Are there any specifics of size anywhere? I presume there have been no remains of the giants ever found either.

Gen 6:1 Now it came to pass, when men began to multiply on the face of the earth, and daughters were born to them, 2 that the sons of God saw the daughters of men, that they were beautiful; and they took wives for themselves of all whom they chose.

3 And the Lord said, “My Spirit shall not strive with man forever, for he is indeed flesh; yet his days shall be one hundred and twenty years.” 4 There were giants on the earth in those days, and also afterward, when the sons of God came in to the daughters of men and they bore children to them. Those were the mighty men who were of old, men of renown.

So a man just chooses which wife he fancies and she has no choice or am I reading too much into this?

I've heard mention of these giants before. Are there any specifics of size anywhere? I presume there have been no remains of the giants ever found either.
Nope, some have been found... search Nephilim.

The last of the giants in Israel was King Og and his bed was 15 feet long made of iron. The 10 spies said they were grasshoppers in their eyes. Also read the book of Jasher and Enoch on this matter. Neither are books for the accepted scriptures, but it is mentioned twice in the scriptures for Jasher and Enoch is quoted twice in the NT.

Last edited:
There are some references to nephilim even photos of skeletons being uncovered in Greece some place, but these are a hoax.
There is a lot of inexcusable ignorance associated with the mention of the nephilim. and giants. In Genesis. (not to be confused with giantism)
Going back to the creation account, the Lord God established boundaries in the reproductive mechanisms of His created types. They were to bring forth after their own kind. That means that different kinds can not interbreed. Angels...well an entire volume could be written on why it is impossible for an angel and a human to interbreed, but common sense should be sufficient.
As for the egg heads that have some fringe scientists all abuzz, Even in our time there are cultures that tightly bind young pliable bones to bring about unnatural deformities. see:
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...z4GwBQ&ved=0CAsQ_AUoAA&biw=1280&bih=552&dpr=1
and http://www.chinagaze.com/2013/07/26/chinese-foot-binding-in-pictures-these-photos-are-graphic/
Imagine what stories might be dreamed up in a thousand years if any of these bones are ever uncovered.
As Jesus taught, and as the creator incarnate He should know,
Matt7:16 You will recognize them by their fruits. Are grapes gathered from thornbushes, or figs from thistles?
OK so He is teaching about spiritual truths from the plight of veggies, but the same principle applies to animal species including man.
So either procreation is confined to species or Jesus was not teaching from truth.

In Genesis 6, things get interesting. Yes, in those days men did the choosing of a wife. This is not just a bible fact, but history has shown this. Generally, the man and the woman's father would negotiate for the right to marry her. Context becomes everything here. You must think how customs would develop in their culture. Genesis begins with families, which start to separate into tribes which helped with food supplies and safety from outside threats. Women were a liability when it came to the protection of the family and tribe. Men were in charge because they could physically fight off a challenge to their authority. Obviously, women could not, generally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back