Learning Genesis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now on sons of God, this literally means sons of God. Using other scripture to compare, the same hebrew phrase, "sons of God" occur in Genesis 6:2 and 6:4, Job 1:6, 2:1 and 38:7. In Job, it seems clear that this phrase means angels, and is translated as such in many bible versions. This makes Gen. 6:2, 4 easier to understand, in that this would explain the "giants" and "mighty men of renown". The other line of thought is that the "sons of God" were the line of Seth, the holy line. The "daughters of men" would be the other lines or Cain's line of descendents. To me, this does not make sense. Are the daughters of the holy line less fair? Why would the mating of the men from the holy line with the daughters of the unholy cause giants? And what about the men from the unholy line taking a daughter from the holy line? Sons of God being angels solves this puzzle. There are other scriptures which speak of the folly of certain angels who left their realm and were punished. Philemon and Psalms speak of this.

On, “My Spirit shall not strive with man forever, for he is indeed flesh; yet his days shall be one hundred and twenty years.”, this helps answer why men lived longer prior to the Flood. This is the second mention of the Holy Spirit, and God's Spirit being with man could explain this phenomenon.

1Pe 3:18 For Christ also suffered once for sins, the righteous for the unrighteous, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh but made alive in the spirit,
1Pe 3:19 in which he went and proclaimed to the spirits in prison,
1Pe 3:20 because they formerly did not obey, when God's patience waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was being prepared, in which a few, that is, eight persons, were brought safely through water.

A better understanding is that the 120 years decreed, was the time of waiting while the preaching by Noah took place.

Yes, Noah was a preacher of righteousness.

2Pe 2:5 if he did not spare the ancient world, but preserved Noah, a herald of righteousness, with seven others, when he brought a flood upon the world of the ungodly;

The giants did exist because the Scriptures say so. I highly recommend that if you're remotely interested to read Corrupting the Image by Douglas Hamp. I don't know why anyone would want to lie about the photos, nor am I qualified to refute them, but I do know that in 1895, the "Irish Giant" photo was published in the Stand Magazine in December 1895. The giant was 12 ft 2 in with a girth of 6 ft 6 with six toes on the right foot. Because it was fossilized it weighted 2 tons, matching I Chron 20:6. Furthermore there are articles from the Chillicothe Weekly Constitution from 1917 reporting of a foot that was found in a coal min in Iowa weighing 30 lbs making its once owner 13 feet tall. There are other articles by the NY Tribune of 1909 and the Oelwein Register of 1894 in France as well. In the Charleroi Mail in 1909 a head and shoulders were found 75 feet below the surface, which according to "science" would make him millions of years old, except the Flood occurred throwing all that off. I mention these because there were no computers then to be able to fake the photos or to tarnish the good name of those papers. Anyhow, let's move on before others come in turning this thread into another closed thread about the Nephilim.

As for myself the only authority I recognize is the Bible.
There were giants in the earth in those days, but the Bible makes it unmistakably clear that angels can not procreate with humans. Angels are not even masculine sexually. There is no neuter gender in Hebrew, so they have to be grammatically either male or female.
A noun having a masculine gender does not confer sexuality...not in the real world at least. This has been debated tirelessly on this forum in the past, and anybody who wants to can search the forum for it.
My only concern is that this ungodly idea will soon worm its way into this discussion. If anyone wants to, I suppose they can go open their own thread.
This thread has been and continues to be interesting and it would be a real shame if it had to be closed because of foolish ideas.

Last edited:
As for myself the only authority I recognize is the Bible.
There were giants in the earth in those days, but the Bible makes it unmistakably clear that angels can not procreate with humans. Angels are not even masculine sexually. There is no neuter gender in Hebrew, so they have to be grammatically either male or female.
A noun having a masculine gender does not confer sexuality...not in the real world at least. This has been debated tirelessly on this forum in the past, and anybody who wants to can search the forum for it.
My only concern is that this ungodly idea will soon worm its way into this discussion. If anyone wants to, I suppose they can go open their own thread.
This thread has been and continues to be interesting and it would be a real shame if it had to be closed because of foolish ideas.
HA! That is NOT what Jesus said, read it again:

Matthew 22:30 (KJV)
For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven.

marriage:
ἐκγαμίζω ekgamizo (ek-gam-id'-zo) v.
1. to marry off a daughter

Mark 12:25 (KJV)
For when they shall rise from the dead, they neither marry, nor are given in marriage; but are as the angels which are in heaven.

marriage:
γαμίσκω gamisko (gam-is'-ko) v.
1. to espouse (a daughter to a husband)

Marriage: the formal union of a man and a woman, typically recognized by law, by which they become husband and wife.

The formal act of recognition by the law! Now tell me where it says they can't give their DNA to a woman? They mustn't but since when do fallen angels follow the rules!? This is why there are some locked up until the day of judgement. No other reason.

Last edited:
Gen 6:5 Then the Lord saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intent of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. 6 And the Lord was sorry that He had made man on the earth, and He was grieved in His heart. 7 So the Lord said, “I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth, both man and beast, creeping thing and birds of the air, for I am sorry that I have made them.” 8 But Noah found grace in the eyes of the Lord.

Ok, I get this but if I was God, I would of used my power to just wipe man out and start again. Learnt a lesson and made humans how I should of done in the first place. Why settle for second best if you are perfection?

What did the beasts and birds do wrong to warrant a blanket destruction?

Gen 6:5 Then the Lord saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intent of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. 6 And the Lord was sorry that He had made man on the earth, and He was grieved in His heart. 7 So the Lord said, “I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth, both man and beast, creeping thing and birds of the air, for I am sorry that I have made them.” 8 But Noah found grace in the eyes of the Lord.

Ok, I get this but if I was God, I would of used my power to just wipe man out and start again. Learnt a lesson and made humans how I should of done in the first place. Why settle for second best if you are perfection?

It isn't God who needs to learn. It is us.

Gen 6:9 This is the genealogy of Noah. Noah was a just man, perfect in his generations. Noah walked with God. 10 And Noah begot three sons: Shem, Ham, and Japheth.

11 The earth also was corrupt before God, and the earth was filled with violence. 12 So God looked upon the earth, and indeed it was corrupt; for all flesh had corrupted their way on the earth.

Noah walked with God means he was simply better than all the other descendants of Adam?

Gen 6:13 And God said to Noah, “The end of all flesh has come before Me, for the earth is filled with violence through them; and behold, I will destroy them with the earth. 14 Make yourself an ark of gopherwood; make rooms in the ark, and cover it inside and outside with pitch. 15 And this is how you shall make it: The length of the ark shall be three hundred cubits, its width fifty cubits, and its height thirty cubits.

I reach this part with trepidation. Of my limited knowledge of the bible, Noahs ark seems the most bizarre but lets see. I've not read it in detail before.

140m x 23m x 14m, a pretty big boat by all accounts.

It might come to you one day to ask Him yourself. I don't say this as a threat, just an expectation. We all have questions, could take an eternity to get answers. Let us hope you can put eternity on your clock.

Abdicate I have copied your above post to a thread in 'General discussions' where it belongs as it is not really Bible Study in the truer sense. You will find it under : "Here We Go Again....abdicate" Please leave this thread free for learning Genesis:) (y)

Abdicate I have copied your above post to a thread in 'General discussions' where it belongs as it is not really Bible Study in the truer sense. You will find it under : "Here We Go Again....abdicate" Please leave this thread free for learning Genesis:) (y)

So now who is learning anything, Calvin? I mean wasn't it you complaining all along? While I was once undecided, I now think that angels as "sons of God" makes very good sense. You are constantly saying angels can't mate with humans but you don't actually have a scriptural basis for it. That angels "shouldn't" mate begs the question that well they could (and did). Giants or nephilim were both pre and after flood, as described in scripture. Amazing you ignore scripture when it doesn't suit you. As for your link? I fail to find anything to it. I had to open 20 explorer screens to read it and none of it made any sense much less humor. If nephilim/giants were before and after flood - and there were no nephilim on the ark - how do you say they reappeared after he flood unless the abomination was continued? Or wasn't Goliath a giant or Og 15 foot tall?

So now who is learning anything, Calvin? I mean wasn't it you complaining all along? While I was once undecided, I now think that angels as "sons of God" makes very good sense. You are constantly saying angels can't mate with humans but you don't actually have a scriptural basis for it. That angels "shouldn't" mate begs the question that well they could (and did). Giants or nephilim were both pre and after flood, as described in scripture. Amazing you ignore scripture when it doesn't suit you. As for your link? I fail to find anything to it. I had to open 20 explorer screens to read it and none of it made any sense much less humor. If nephilim/giants were before and after flood - and there were no nephilim on the ark - how do you say they reappeared after he flood unless the abomination was continued? Or wasn't Goliath a giant or Og 15 foot tall?
Actually I do Silk. but you will need to read over what I have said in the past.

As best I can recall, there have only ever been two people that have rated my posts "dislike" 'an atheist' and 'Abdicate' Are there some dots to be joined here??

Silk, if the angels that supposedly married women were the same ones that produced Giants and they were here both before and after the flood, what is that saying about the Lord's ability to look to the integrity of His creation?????
Sure there were some tall people, but that does not say they were the offspring of angels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back