Learning New Vocabulary a Few Words at a Time

Because of my own Christian background, there is vocabulary from time to time that I come across that I have never seen or heard of. It sometimes takes awhile then for me to research it's meaning and review God's word. Many times these words or expressions are just a word coined by theologians that describe concepts that I have learned well already without actually knowing what someone has labeled it.

Recently I ran across the expressions "the great exchange" and "definite atonement."

For many here these terms might be familiar. It just reminds me that it can be easy to take for granted that our words are understood as common knowledge, when for some that knowledge is not common.

cp

I have a love for learning. Not for learning sake, but for the doors that knowledge can open.

I was born in a stable household though dysfunctional in many ways. My parents have been married now over 60 years. Because of my nature and my home life I enjoyed many hours in books of various kinds. When possible I was outdoors exploring there was always something new to find or discover.

A teacher in the fifth grade encouraged me in math. Math became one of my book devotions. As a teen I also began reading the Bible, not very seriously at first. My interests back then were primarily in the sciences, including science fiction. Let's say heavy in the science fiction.

I tell you this because though I have gone to school to learn, much of my education in life has come from self study. I've learned to do a great many things in regards to fixing and building a home all through self study and some hands on training. Most of what I learned as a public accountant came outside of a classroom. Much of what you learn in school is theory, the application, industry specifics and specialized knowledge comes from outside sources.

Growing up I learned from others what the Bible had to say. I did read and study as a young man, but that study was not very deep. About 10 years ago, God brought me to a point where I needed to study God's word intensely. I had several years during which I was able to settle many things in my mind as God directed me in that study. Its a wonderful feeling when you apply what you learn and see God's involvement and answers along the way.

With all of that. I learned a way of faith. God is yet teaching me about love. Much of the understanding God has given comes directly from God's word. These days I've been trying to all come to terms with the many words coined by theologians over the years.

My background is different than some who might have been raised hearing terms like "limited atonement," "sacrament," and "Calvinism." Even words like faith and grace may not always be defined the same.

With that realization I've learned to ask questions. Mostly to know I'm on the same page in a conversation. I also do it a lot in my studies, it helps to clarify and add new understanding. I've learned not to assume a good understanding even in myself. Above all I take time to view both the specific and general context surrounding verses. God's words are all inspired.

I've been working through a course, titled "Biblical Truths in Depth" and there has been a lot of new to me vocabulary. So it led me to this post. You may find me asking questions about words. :)

cp

Currently I'm working on the concept "means of grace"

I know how grace works. A theological term like this has been defined systematically by theologians of one persuasion or another. I'm looking at how it has been defined, scriptural references and I blend that with what I know from my own studies of God's word.

The first concern though is what is the intended meaning of grace within this concept and what is the biblical meaning of grace.

Anyone who wants to chime in may. I'm just sharing my adventure.

cp

Currently I'm working on the concept "means of grace"

I know how grace works. A theological term like this has been defined systematically by theologians of one persuasion or another. I'm looking at how it has been defined, scriptural references and I blend that with what I know from my own studies of God's word.

The first concern though is what is the intended meaning of grace within this concept and what is the biblical meaning of grace.

Anyone who wants to chime in may. I'm just sharing my adventure.

cp
Definite atonement refers to the Lord Jesus death provoding real and secured salvation for ther Elect of God, and means of Grace can be either a catholic sacramental grace system, or else reformed 5 points of grace!

Definite atonement refers to the Lord Jesus death provoding real and secured salvation for ther Elect of God, and means of Grace can be either a catholic sacramental grace system, or else reformed 5 points of grace!

Since I know this is not Catholic, your saying this is a reformed theological term?

cp

God works with us by a number of means though as he communicates with us and we speak to him. Understanding what is being said in a conversation is what I'm striving to accomplish. When someone tells me what they believe from God's word I have a much easier time than when someone speaks in theological terms that as you mentioned van vary depending on denomination.

cp

My parents have been married now over 60 years. Growing up I learned from others what the Bible had to say. I did read and study as a young man, but that study was not very deep. About 10 years ago, God brought me to a point where I needed to study God's word intensely. cp

Currently I'm working on the concept "means of grace" I know how grace works.
cp

Hello Chuck;

God bless your Dad and Mom for celebrating 60 years of marriage! If I had the opportunity to have a conversation with them, there would be new vocabulary in their chapters together, the growing, success, setbacks, failures, troubled times and blessings that go into a marriage, that would be new to my wife and I.

When I learned from others what the Bible had to say, this was normal and as we mature in our study we begin to form and express what the Word is saying to us. I find it's good to study the hermeneutics "deeper understanding of the Biblical text" and have learned it's more than just academic discipline, but our "hard knocks experience" of our lives as followers of Jesus that complements our study.

I'm with you, brother, and thank you for sharing. Please share with us your conviction of the "means of grace."

I'm always up to learning more, especially from others about God's immeasurable grace!

God bless you, Chuck, and your family.

Yes, they were referring to baptism and communion. Though they were referring to prayer and preaching as well.

cp
Reformed would see that there is the spiritual presense of Lord Jesus there with us when we partake of the sacraments in faith, but others would see literally saving grace in those items!

We Baptists not not see means of grace as being in baptism or Communion, but some of the Reformed would!
Reformed would see that there is the spiritual presense of Lord Jesus there with us when we partake of the sacraments in faith, but others would see literally saving grace in those items!

Hello YeshuaFan;

In both your statements I would like to learn more of what you're sharing regarding means of grace. Are the means of grace limited, does this only define the doctrine of a denomination or a matter of interpretation?

Thank you for sharing!

God bless you, YeshuaFan and your family.

Means of grace

As to communication between man and God. I see it primarily in prayer as we come to God in his throne room to speak us and the Holy Spirit. We hear God through his word which we receive through God's Spirit always which can come from study of his word, from hearing God's message and any other way God chooses.

I don't really see baptism and communion as communicating with God. Both are necessary though on our path as Christians. Baptism starting the change in our lives from the old man to a new man. Commune as a remembrance of God's sacrifice for us and our continuing need for God.

Hello YeshuaFan;

In both your statements I would like to learn more of what you're sharing regarding means of grace. Are the means of grace limited, does this only define the doctrine of a denomination or a matter of interpretation?

Thank you for sharing!

God bless you, YeshuaFan and your family.
As a Baptist, would see Water Baptism as symbolic eternal sign of an already inward work of salvation, but do now tend to see the communion as when we can have the spiritual presence of the Lord around and near us when we partake. Means of grace to me is external, in that we do not get any additional grace, as we have all of that in Jesus once saved, but that reading the bible, praying, praising, witnessing can be used by God to mature us more and more!

Means of grace

As to communication between man and God. I see it primarily in prayer as we come to God in his throne room to speak us and the Holy Spirit. We hear God through his word which we receive through God's Spirit always which can come from study of his word, from hearing God's message and any other way God chooses.

I don't really see baptism and communion as communicating with God. Both are necessary though on our path as Christians. Baptism starting the change in our lives from the old man to a new man. Commune as a remembrance of God's sacrifice for us and our continuing need for God.
I do not see any vested grace within the elements, but that doing them can draw us into a closer appreciation and knowing of the Lord jesus when we partake in faith and think upon Him!

Thanks YeshuaFan for the enlightenment.

I do not see any vested grace within the elements, but that doing them can draw us into a closer appreciation and knowing of the Lord jesus when we partake in faith and think upon Him!

It's nice to have a better understanding of what others are trying to communicate.

cp

As a Baptist, would see Water Baptism as symbolic eternal sign of an already inward work of salvation, but do now tend to see the communion as when we can have the spiritual presence of the Lord around and near us when we partake. Means of grace to me is external, in that we do not get any additional grace, as we have all of that in Jesus once saved, but that reading the bible, praying, praising, witnessing can be used by God to mature us more and more!

Thank you, YeshuaFan, for sharing.

Even the use of the word "grace" has many interpretations I'm finding. When I look at God's word I find grace spoken of in a great many ways. Primarily it is a gift which can be salvation or deliverance. God though give many kinds of grace to us. Some of which aid us daily and some are in the hope and comfort of our future.

Back