Lets Get Cfs Back To Friendly

Jeffin

Webmaster
Staff member
Helper
A few years ago CFS used to be a place where you could fellowship, discuss, laugh, share stuff without the fear of being attacked by a fellow member. Now that we have grown to 7000+ plus members, we no longer have that atmosphere here. I want to encourage all members here to post in the nicest way possible also encouraging others to do so. Let's all behave like one family - children of God. Our staff is there to assist whenever you need help.

Here's a joke I wanted to share:

Terri asked her Sunday School class to draw pictures of their favorite Bible stories. She was puzzled by Kyle's picture, which showed four people on an airplane, so she asked him which story it was meant to represent.

"The flight to Egypt," said Kyle. "I see ... And that must be Mary, Joseph, and Baby Jesus," Ms. Terri said. "But who's the fourth person?"

"Oh, that's Pontius-the Pilot.

:D :D

Thank you for agreeing with me Rusty. Our staff feels the same way and we have been at times reminding the community to bring back the friendly atmosphere.

Children have such good and loving hearts. They are always learning and are happy to receive correction and humble. This is probably what Jesus liked about them and He wants us to be like them. Theirs is the Kingdom of Heaven.

Reminding? I think it can be well stated that I've been doing more than reminding, I've been downright enforcing it. I look forward to the day that the enforcement becomes lesser while the compassion, love, and respect for our fellow brothers and sisters in Christ increases.

Reminding? I think it can be well stated that I've been doing more than reminding, I've been downright enforcing it. I look forward to the day that the enforcement becomes lesser while the compassion, love, and respect for our fellow brothers and sisters in Christ increases.

Ban.......I am afraid that it is here like it is in every church. When the preacher hits home on something that effects every single person in the auditorium, the ones who need to hear it the most always point to the person in front of them and say......
"He is talking to THEM......NOT ME".

Ban.......I am afraid that it is here like it is in every church. When the preacher hits home on something that effects every single person in the auditorium, the ones who need to hear it the most always point to the person in fron of them and say......
"He is talking to THEM......NOT ME".

If people would go into a regular church with the attitudes they come here, they should be shown the door. I cannot imagine the level of disrespect that I find from posters occurring anywhere in civilized discussion. But, I also know what you mean. I'm sometimes amazed when I step in only to be supported by the people who were the main reason that I stepped in. On the other hand, I've found that I have to be really careful when I preach because people are incredibly self-centered. A simple statement can sometimes be interpreted as preaching AT someone, or even outing some secret fault to the entire congregation.

If people would go into a regular church with the attitudes they come here, they should be shown the door. I cannot imagine the level of disrespect that I find from posters occurring anywhere in civilized discussion. But, I also know what you mean. I'm sometimes amazed when I step in only to be supported by the people who were the main reason that I stepped in. On the other hand, I've found that I have to be really careful when I preach because people are incredibly self-centered. A simple statement can sometimes be interpreted as preaching AT someone, or even outing some secret fault to the entire congregation.

I understand completely Ban. But I must tell you that with age comes a lot of freedom when preaching. Now, at my age and longevity, I am not careful at all in the pulpit. It is what God says and if anyone has a problem with it, they need to talk to Him and not me.

I just like you have had people approach me and say......"Why did you out me"......."Why did you tell everyone about what I did". I have to tell them that it is not me but the Spirit of God who had convicted them and exposed their sin......not me!
I have never exposed the sins of anyone but I can promise you thar God has do so many times.

As for the disrespect shown here.......may I also say that IMO it is the same as on all other forum sites. That is what I have seen over and over and over.

It seems to me that there are many people who can feel safe behind a computer screen seperated by thousands of miles from someone they are talking with. Many people have personality problems, ego situations and yes even mental concerns that are manifested by their inability to comunicate with others. They will say things that they would never say face to face. It is one of the failures in on line computer "forums".

Some men you just can't reach and others can not be preached to. So you get what we see here again and again, which is actually the way the person wants it.

I am reminded of the phrase from the warden to "Cool Hand Luke".........................................
"What we have here is a failure to communicate."

To offer some insight into my perspective, I'll tell you what I see. I see a lot of people who in their own views are very confident. Most seem to have rejected denominations of any kind without realizing that all they have done is create their own personal denomination based entirely on their own interpretation. There is something about that mentality that, while not inherently wrong, almost always seems to lead to a level of arrogance that I fail to understand. The arrogance that is represented comes across as possessing greater knowledge and greater wisdom than the entirety of Biblical scholars and theologians throughout the course of history, and somehow they simply don't realize it.

A always ask myself a fairly simple question. Am I willing to accept the fact that I might be wrong? Whenever I answer that question with a no, I dive into my prayer closet as vigorously as possible. To not be willing to accept the potential that you are wrong, or that your perspective, experience, and understanding cannot be universally applied to others on the same level as God's voice speaking into their lives is the epitome of arrogance. So from my perspective, I think I'm being very patient with it simply because I realize that we all get very wrapped up in our beliefs. They are what shape up and form us. We are passionate creatures, and we will defend what has been a defining factor in the shaping of who we are as Christians. It is when so, so many are just far too ready to trample on the same foundation of another that I begin questioning the foundation upon which they are standing.

In the end, what I see so often is Christians expressing exactly how little we've grown as a people since the days of the Pharisees. Some very, very narrow interpretation of Scripture trumps the simplest and purest truths of the meaning behind the Scripture. The LAW is used as a weapon against the beloved sheep, except we don't call it the Law anymore. Sadly, there will be many such violators that will read this very statement and rally out against others who have not offended nearly as bad.

To offer some insight into my perspective, I'll tell you what I see. I see a lot of people who in their own views are very confident. Most seem to have rejected denominations of any kind without realizing that all they have done is create their own personal denomination based entirely on their own interpretation. There is something about that mentality that, while not inherently wrong, almost always seems to lead to a level of arrogance that I fail to understand. The arrogance that is represented comes across as possessing greater knowledge and greater wisdom than the entirety of Biblical scholars and theologians throughout the course of history, and somehow they simply don't realize it.

A always ask myself a fairly simple question. Am I willing to accept the fact that I might be wrong? Whenever I answer that question with a no, I dive into my prayer closet as vigorously as possible. To not be willing to accept the potential that you are wrong, or that your perspective, experience, and understanding cannot be universally applied to others on the same level as God's voice speaking into their lives is the epitome of arrogance. So from my perspective, I think I'm being very patient with it simply because I realize that we all get very wrapped up in our beliefs. They are what shape up and form us. We are passionate creatures, and we will defend what has been a defining factor in the shaping of who we are as Christians. It is when so, so many are just far too ready to trample on the same foundation of another that I begin questioning the foundation upon which they are standing.

In the end, what I see so often is Christians expressing exactly how little we've grown as a people since the days of the Pharisees. Some very, very narrow interpretation of Scripture trumps the simplest and purest truths of the meaning behind the Scripture. The LAW is used as a weapon against the beloved sheep, except we don't call it the Law anymore. Sadly, there will be many such violators that will read this very statement and rally out against others who have not offended nearly as bad.

I would say that you may have just ID'd the situation! I agree 100%.

Especially the comment of...........
"Most seem to have rejected denominations of any kind without realizing that all they have done is create their own personal denomination based entirely on their own interpretation."

There are certainly a lot of entrenched denominationalists here and everywhere. My point is that many of the most entrenched denominatinalists are the ones that claim to reject denominations entirely. I've known many good Christians who have for good reason rejected the Institutional Church, but I've also found that it really isn't the Institution that is the problem. People are quite capable of coming up with barriers to the Gospel on their own.

I'm not universally blaming anyone. In fact, my only grief is with arrogance, which while traditionally fueled by denominationalism in the "real" world, seems to be more fueled more by personal doctrines in cyberspace. Unlike the real world, where denominations have largely stopped waging wars against different doctrines, the practice seems to be very much alive here.

I'm not universally blaming anyone. In fact, my only grief is with arrogance, which while traditionally fueled by denominationalism in the "real" world, seems to be more fueled more by personal doctrines in cyberspace. Unlike the real world, where denominations have largely stopped waging wars against different doctrines, the practice seems to be very much alive here.

Yes. All one has to do is read some of the "Bible teaching" pages on the forum and it becomes crystal clear.

"Personal doctrines fueled more by cyberspace" than by the Word of God leads to a level of arrogance which seems to always lead to confrontational attitudes and attacks are the norm. BUT........again, it is not unique to THIS particular site. It is universal in ALL Christian forums.

It IMO fulfills Bible prophecy of 2 Timothy 4:1-5.......(KJV)
"I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom;Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all long suffering and doctrine. For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables. But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry."

Preachers and teachers who appeal to itching ears tell people what they want to hear not what they need to hear.

I'm brand new to this site, just signed up...
This is an unfortunate occurence that happens on many boards who start off small, then grow. Perhaps, it is a microcosm of life, and even Christ had to deal with strife and dissention. But, it's hard to watch christians go at it against each other. I've seen that on another christian site, and it was a shame. I hope to be a source of encouragement for others here. We can always agree to disagree, at the end of the day. :)

I've got into to many fights on secular forums to be a wise one on this but I agree it does seem a shame for it to happen here (or anywhere really I've got into fights I shouldn't have....)

I think there are always things we will disagree on but at least for this (I think) non denominational head, it gets pretty rotten when you see the bible used as a whipping tool to prove who is right on some finer detail. Everything stems from love God and love thy neighbour yet we are capable of making it all so complicated and nasty.

I just mean that I try to be simplistic about my own ideas. There are the important centre beliefs as given above. I'm not sure say about the rapture but do not feel a conclusion either way would be significant compared to me truly (I'm not there yet...) finding Christ in the first place. Hope that makes some sense.

I',m lost here.. I'm thinking the rich man where he was asked about the most important commandments. He gave 2 and Jesus said he was correct on that. I can't help (but maybe wrong) feel that what was said there was more important than working out exactly the end time schedule and beating one another over the head over which denomination has that right.

I find that Christian ladies have a low tolerance of disharmony...I don't know, but I would bet that the silent members, the inactive are mostly ladies.

Same here. I think the ladies go silent when they see the debates and arguments. Anyway, we can strive to change all that and be respectful of others. It's start with us.

Quick question. What do you all suggest we as staff can do take make this friendly atmosphere happen?

I don't necessarily think women can't tolerate disharmony, as much as we can't tolerate people just talking over others and not listening to others' views. When I see healthy debates, I'm likely to chime in. When I see someone trying to bully others (not saying that is anyone here, I haven't been here long enough to have seen that lol) to his/her way of thinking, that's pretty much when I tune out.

Jesus said to His followers to shake the dust from their feet, if their words and preachings weren't welcome in the villages they went through. In other words, Jesus suggested to them to not waste their time on people who have no desire to be open minded. BUT...His apostles planted seeds. So, maybe the seed didn't grow at that moment in some people's lives, but for others, maybe it did. We are all works in progress, afterall.

That said...if you want me to see your point of view on any matter, talk to me with respect. If you choose not to, I will tune you out. haha :D

Quick question. What do you all suggest we as staff can do take make this friendly atmosphere happen?

Maybe when you see strife, for example, where someone is bullying people in threads, name calling ensues, etc...maybe just a quick posting of the rules inside of that particular thread to get the attention of everyone.

Emotions run high when we are 'defending' our faith points of view. So, sometimes, just being human...a thread can go off the rails. I think if the moderators could just steer it back on course, it might make a world of difference.

Again, haven't been on here to see where there is strife, but I'm assuming since this thread was created, there must be some occasional e-fighting going on.

Love God with all your heart and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. We need to be mindful of that, always. :)

Same here. I think the ladies go silent when they see the debates and arguments. Anyway, we can strive to change all that and be respectful of others. It's start with us.

I think that when there is someone that is always instigating strife, a warning to that person is in order. If they continue to instigate strife, maybe banning them for several days will help them to 'see the light'. I don't like the idea of banning discussions because one person cannot discuss that particular topic without over the top reactions to disagreement. It just robs everyone else of the blessing that they can get from the discussion. Closing the whole topic down can even encourage the troublemaker to continue his/her behavior. In my limited time here, I have seen that there are certain ones who like to 'ambush' people who post threads representing a viewpoint that they disagree with. It can be great discussion to discuss a point of disagreement, but those who cannot disagree without attacking others should be the ones bear the fruit of their actions, not everyone else that may be interested in the thread.

Back