Leviticus 27

Leviticus 27

I was raised in the church and have always tried to do what God says. When I was reading through my bible, I became very taken away by a passage in Leviticus 27. The LORD said to Moses, 2 "Speak to the Israelites and say to them: 'If anyone makes a special vow to dedicate persons to the LORD by giving equivalent values, 3 set the value of a male between the ages of twenty and sixty at fifty shekels [a] of silver, according to the sanctuary shekel [b] ; 4 and if it is a female, set her value at thirty shekels. [c] 5 If it is a person between the ages of five and twenty, set the value of a male at twenty shekels [d] and of a female at ten shekels. [e] 6 If it is a person between one month and five years, set the value of a male at five shekels [f] of silver and that of a female at three shekels [g]7 If it is a person sixty years old or more, set the value of a male at fifteen shekels [h] and of a female at ten shekels. 8 If anyone making the vow is too poor to pay the specified amount, he is to present the person to the priest, who will set the value for him according to what the man making the vow can afford of silver.

Well, I guess this concludes that I, a female, am inferior to all of you men...

not sure about this in money terms it,s forcing people to get married younger for a cheaper price,if that is what is meant.any explaination welcome.

plus also we have a new testament.:)

also jesus said (all)that came before me were liars and thieves,so i wouldn,t read to much into a money matter.:)

Amen Smellycat!!!! we have the New testament!!!

Suzi, we are free from the old law.... so your not inferior at all :D

You can rip verses out of context to make them say whatever you want.

Saying that there's different prices for dedication and redemption does not make one thing inferior to the other (as it's not establishing worth, but giving general criteria). Also, this particular Mosiac Law had no relation or hidden meaning for the future (that being us).

Women and Men are equal, yet they have different roles. The man is the head of the wife, but the man should love the woman to the point that he'd be willing to sacrifice himself for her as Ephesians 5 tells us.

Not in this world.

Well, I guess this concludes that I, a female, am inferior to all of you men...
So sad that you use words taken out of contest and meaning to de-value yourself. :(

Not since Eve come from the side of Adam has woman come from man ,but all have come forth from the womb of woman.
Each gender has it's purpose and position on this earth. God made it so. When we pass from this world and face judgment(beloved) we are not judged by gender or our value upon this earth, but by our obedience to God.
And that obedience is based in no small degree to what we do with what God has given us, Gender is a big part of that and likely the most important part. God's expectation of us is in no small way connected to the role he has given us and what we do with it.

You want to honor God?????
Honor Him in what role, postion and with the gender He has given you.

No person who honors God does so out side the position and role God has set before them.
No person who obeys God, denies, rejects, demeans or ignors the gender and position given to them by our creator.
This brothers and sisters applies the same for men and women.

The monetary values set in that scripture you quoted are the values set forth in this world.
In Christ we are not of this world , but are aliens passing through and our value is not set in shekel or dollar, but in the Blood of Christ Jesus!!!!! Who died for us equely and fully without concideration of gender.

Sinserely His
Cliff

SuzieQ: Please remember that things were done quite differently when Leviticus 27 was written by the scribes.

DO NOT feel that you are second class...

The Leviticus 27 text is assigning monitary value to people, flocks and buildings. This was for TITHING and rudimentary TAXES to the Temple Priests and to God.

The WORTH ASSIGNMENTS of PERSONS were based SOLELY upon a persons ability to DO PHYSICAL WORK for the family, for the Priests and for God. Look carefully at the groups listed and they are set forth by PHYSICAL STRENGTH abilities ONLY, and nothing else.

When you read the Old Testament, TRY to place yourself back in those days yourself and to experience those things that life was all about 3000 to 4000 years ago. THEN, you will see what the full meaning of Leviticus 27 was when it was written, NOT what you may interject into the text in modern times.

It is a true shame on those denominations that still cling to their false teachings based upon Leviticus 27 to demean various persons, including women. It is not scriptural and their false teachings will be Judged by God, I assure you.

Blessings to you.

Back