Listening is an act of love

The more I read about Jesus in the four Gospels, the more I realize that
the Christian faith, to its very core, is all about love. That God is love. And
that God wants to transfer his love to man.

"For God so loved the world..." (John 3:16, King James Version)

... that he gave his only begotten Son."

And in Mark 12: 28-31, that the most important of all the commandments
God has given man is to love God with all your heart, with all your soul, with
all your mind and with all your strenght. And to love your neighbor as yourself.

Time and time again in Jesus' teaching to us about the kingdom of God, it is
love that is lifted up and emphasized. It is about love for God and about love
for one another. And in the 13th and 17th chapters of the Gospel of John, it is as
if Jesus summarizes his mission and puts everything in the hands of his disciples.

That from now on it is his disciples who will represent the kingdom of God
here on earth, by loving one another as Jesus has loved them. Yes, that the whole
mission of Jesus and the credibility of Jesus will be dependent of those who believe
in him. Whether or not they will love one another. Whether or not people by seing
them together will believe that Jesus is the Son of God.

With these Bible words ringing in my head, I think it is very problematic that it is not
more of love today in our Christian congregations. By love I mean the most basic of all
acts of love which is to listen to and show interest in another human being.

Because being listened to, seen and acknowledged belongs to one of man's most
basic social needs. A need that we are created with and when fulfilled, makes us feel
that we as individuals have a value. That we as individuals have a meaning and a
unique place in the universe.

When we therefore listen to another human being, we are not doing this just for our
own sake; to receive information we believe may be of interest to us. We are also doing it
for the sake of meeting another person's needs. By our listening we increase another
person's mental well-being. Listening to and showing interest in another human being is
therefore an act of love.

But...

No matter how much I want to, I cannot see that there is more love today among us
who are Christians than among people who are not Christians. After visiting and talking
to people in different churches and congregations, I can see nothing but the same
tendencies towards self-preoccupation that prevail in the rest of society. That so many
of us, in our talking to one another, are seeking and wanting other people's listening and
attention, while there are so few willing to give it. Who primarily make sure to have their
own needs met, but are not as anxious to meet others.

This, despite everything that Jesus during his time here on earth tried to teach us.

Therefore, I believe that the future of Christianity is entirely dependent on our love for
one another. I have tried to write about this more thoroughly on a site called,
Listening and Christian love. www.listeningandchristianlove.com

I do believe that we as Christians must show the world that Jesus' words are true,
when he in Luke 22:26, after describing the values that prevail in the world says to
his disciples, "But ye shall not be so..." (King James Version)

We must show the world that we who have received Jesus in our hearts belong to
another kingdom, another reality, where love and listening reigns. Where people are
not only making sure to have their own needs met, but are also willing to meet others.
That we can show the world that the human fellowship IRL, is still possible. And precious.

Stefan Andersson. Sweden.

all your mind and with all your strenght. And to love your neighbor as yourself.

for one another. And in the 13th and 17th chapters of the Gospel of John, it is as
if Jesus summarizes his mission and puts everything in the hands of his disciples.

here on earth, by loving one another as Jesus has loved them. Yes, that the whole
mission of Jesus and the credibility of Jesus will be dependent of those who believe
in him. Whether or not they will love one another. Whether or not people by seing

With these Bible words ringing in my head, I think it is very problematic that it is not
more of love today in our Christian congregations. By love I mean the most basic of all

basic social needs. A need that we are created with and when fulfilled, makes us feel
that we as individuals have a value. That we as individuals have a meaning and a

When we therefore listen to another human being, we are not doing this just for our
own sake; to receive information we believe may be of interest to us. We are also doing it
for the sake of meeting another person's needs. By our listening we increase another
person's mental well-being. Listening to and showing interest in another human being is

But...

No matter how much I want to, I cannot see that there is more love today among us
who are Christians than among people who are not Christians. After visiting and talking
to people in different churches and congregations, I can see nothing but the same
tendencies towards self-preoccupation that prevail in the rest of society. That so many
of us, in our talking to one another, are seeking and wanting other people's listening and
attention, while there are so few willing to give it. Who primarily make sure to have their

This, despite everything that Jesus during his time here on earth tried to teach us.

Therefore, I believe that the future of Christianity is entirely dependent on our love for

I do believe that we as Christians must show the world that Jesus' words are true,
when he in Luke 22:26, after describing the values that prevail in the world says to

another kingdom, another reality, where love and listening reigns. Where people are
not only making sure to have their own needs met, but are also willing to meet others.
That we can show the world that the human fellowship IRL, is still possible. And precious.

1 Corinthians 13:13 tells us to abide in faith, hope and love, all three, but the greatest of these is love. NKJV
In the same chapter we are told of various things weight do but if we do them without love they are worthless.
It is the motive behind everything we that counts.
God is love, and He can fill our hearts with love if we ask Him to.
I agree about the listening.
This forum has love and listens.
God always listens.

With these Bible words ringing in my head, I think it is very problematic that it is not more of love today in our Christian congregations. By love I mean the most basic of all acts of love which is to listen to and show interest in another human being. Because being listened to, seen and acknowledged belongs to one of man's most basic social needs. A need that we are created with and when fulfilled, makes us feel that we as individuals have a value. That we as individuals have a meaning and a unique place in the universe. When we therefore listen to another human being, we are not doing this just for our own sake; to receive information we believe may be of interest to us. After visiting and talking to people in different churches and congregations, I can see nothing but the same
tendencies towards self-preoccupation that prevail in the rest of society. That so many of us, in our talking to one another, are seeking and wanting other people's listening and attention, while there are so few willing to give it.
Hello Stefan;

Thank you for your thread, Listening is an act of love

You presented a nice outline. In the New Testament Jesus instructs us several times, “He who has ears, let him hear.”

Listening to Jesus and his servant's message was/is profound and can have an impact in our growth as a believer who follow Christ.

Romans 10:14-15, 14 How then will they call on him in whom they have not believed? And how are they to believe in him of whom they have never heard? And how are they to hear without someone preaching? 15 And how are they to preach unless they are sent? As it is written, “How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the good news!”

A Key Point in Romans 10:14-15 is, listening. Listening ears is a common ground and Jesus was the master of establishing common ground. But Jesus also guides us in our discipline as a disciple and this includes listening in developing our people skills.

People can tell when you aren't listening, and people could tell Jesus was listening, and this is KEY as we come into contact with others daily, especially in our witness and ministry.

God bless you, Stefan, and thank you for sharing.

But...

Stefan, welcome to CFS. Nicely written. As much as I agree with the importance of listening, I would still hold that it plays secondary importance to the Gospel which offers the solution to man's primary need...the forgiveness of their sin...YET, sincere listening will communicate to others that you truly care for their soul. When they sense that they will be in a better position to receive the Gospel from you.

Hello Stefan;

Thank you for your thread, Listening is an act of love

You presented a nice outline. In the New Testament Jesus instructs us several times, “He who has ears, let him hear.”

Listening to Jesus and his servant's message was/is profound and can have an impact in our growth as a believer who follow Christ.

Romans 10:14-15, 14 How then will they call on him in whom they have not believed? And how are they to believe in him of whom they have never heard? And how are they to hear without someone preaching? 15 And how are they to preach unless they are sent? As it is written, “How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the good news!”

A Key Point in Romans 10:14-15 is, listening. Listening ears is a common ground and Jesus was the master of establishing common ground. But Jesus also guides us in our discipline as a disciple and this includes listening in developing our people skills.

People can tell when you aren't listening, and people could tell Jesus was listening, and this is KEY as we come into contact with others daily, especially in our witness and ministry.

God bless you, Stefan, and thank you for sharing.
Thank you Bobinfaith, and God bless you too.

But...

IMHO.....Listening comes from FEAR!

My wife has always told me......"You are not listening to me!!!!"

Back