Lost Faith, Regained?

The title is the question I pursue.

Hello, my name is Matthew.

A bit about myself:

I was raised in a particular Faith and attended these religious schools for 12-years.

Now, during my teenage years, I was VERY rebellious and rejected God and this particular denomination vehemently.

I was an Atheist until the age of 28, then God found me, revealing himself to me; I was no longer an Atheist. This does not mean though I was a Christian; That would take time.

Over the following years, I was exposed to true Christians and real teachings of the Bible. I converted to a particular denomination, my Faith in Jesus, full.

Yet, more time went by...

We arrive at this point; In the last few years, the following has happened:
  • I have struggled deeply with Depression (I also have High-functioning Autism, Aspergers Syndrome)
  • I have become indirectly involved in a Polytheistic religion
  • I have dated an Atheist recently who, although kind and loving, held no Faith in our Creator (She and I are no longer together which, I believe, may be a God-send)
I believe some of this may be Satan getting his foothold in me (Not the Depression, Autism. That is real and biological).

My primary struggle is believing Jesus is a Savior.

I do believe the Bible and take it quite literally; I believe in Jesus' teachings, miracles and that he died and rose from the dead.

But I am having trouble believing he is "God" - This is all very confusing to me.

Please help, Brothers and Sisters.

Thank you,
Matthew

Hi there

Scripture is clear that we need the Holy Spirit to believe Jesus is Lord.

1 Cor 12:3 Therefore I want you to know that no one who is speaking by the Spirit of God says, "Jesus be cursed," and no one can say, "Jesus is Lord," except by the Holy Spirit. Matt 16:16-17 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God. 17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.

The Holy Spirit is trying to reach out to us. We resist Him. The secret to getting Him is as simple as grasping James 4:8 / Jer 17:10 and doing Psalm 51:17 / James 4:6 / Rom 12:9 and Matt 16:24

If Jesus Christ performed miracles, taught material that was ahead of his time, and rose from the dead....what was he, if not God?

RiverJordan:

Hi.

I'm sorry, I cannot answer your question at this point.

I am not being sarcastic, but your question appears rhetorical. That is not enough to convince me of Jesus actually being God. (Although, I do believe he was sent from God)

I am struggling with worshiping Odin -vs- Jesus; Neither at this point have me convinced of their true role as "God".

I believe in the Father, the creator of the Universe (Via the Big Bang). In some ways, what form He/She takes matters not.

I am very confused.

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate it.

Last edited:
This is a personal apologetic only….

If we think physical, carnal, flesh, and worldly way: the concept of trinity is impossible to happen….

Why?

Imagine a good King…

Say, the King sees a need to save his people from not knowing how to be a good citizen….

In my own human logic: the best possible way, in fact, I think, the only way: is for him to a good citizen himself…

BUT… this will be an IMPOSSIBLE task!

Because, if he went out of the castle, out of the throne, and become a good citizen,

There is no king to serve then!

How he can show it then to his fellow citizen… there is no King when he went out!

Yes, pretty IMPOSSIBLE for a physical, carnal flesh mind to grasp.

What I find interesting is that God gave us the answer pre-programmed within our 'self'. We spend so much time denying this fact as well as ogling all the delightful sin that has been manufactured around us intentionally to deceive us that we forget this.

'Free Will' although a necessary blessing for our independent soul is also the downfall of mankind as well- the 'paradox' of humans if you will.

John 10:34
Galatians 4
Luke17:21
Matthew 3:2
Matthew 4:17
Mathew 10:17
Mark 1:15

2 Corinthians 6:2 "...behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation."

We already have the power in word (and The Word) to do good or evil, to tell the truth or deceive, to create or destroy: how much power as 'little gods' that we have that we take for granted daily?

We already have a witness; a testimony to God in nature and His Son by the Spirit and the millions of 'saved' (saints/ elected/ adopted-sons & daughters of God) who proclaim by faith the 'Way, The Truth and The Life' in Jesus Christ.

'Seek and you will find...' This is a promise from God

'I will knock (on the door to your heart); will you answer?' A promise from Christ through the Holy Spirit that requires you to take action by opening the door to Him.

You have the answer...

What KingJ and Brother Mike say is true.

"God replied to Moses, "I Am Who I Am. Say this to the people of Israel: I Am has sent me to you." Exodus 3:14

"Jesus answered, "I tell you the truth, before Abraham was even born, I Am!" John 8:58.

God as Father called Himself "I Am." Jesus, God, called Himself "I Am." John 1 is an entire essay on Jesus as God. The entire book of John is about how Jesus came down from heaven to save.

But here is the thing: Jesus as God and Savior is a not a conclusion we arrive at after we have chewed up His words in our brains sufficiently and make sense of it. Christ as Savior and God is something the Spirit reveals. We can bat around verses and proofs all day but it won't be proven to you unless the Spirit reveals it. (Zechariah 4:6). You seek to understand with your natural mind what is Spirit - and as pointed out above - that just isn't going to work.

But ask God for understanding. Ask Him to reveal these things to your spirit (James 1:5, Matthew 7:7). Be willing to receive/believe and He surely will do it!

You might even try going through John - slowly - while asking for His revealing/understanding....and relying on Him as you read....

I to have been through a long period of not taking Christ at His Word. In my case it was me severely doubting His ability to save me completely. He gave me verse after verse of proof but I resisted for the longest time. I relied on my feelings and looked at my circumstances - until those lined up I felt that I couldn't decisively believe in His complete ability and total salvation.

And you know what? It came down to one thing. God by His Spirit made it real to me. God inspired my belief in it. When I made the decision to take Him at His Word and not rely on my feelings, circumstances or the words of men - that is when it all clicked for me. That is when my doubts were resolved. Just be willing to God.....and God does everything else. He makes it real - and once it is real, He is your Faith that does not waver or doubt on the subject.

I am not being sarcastic, but your question appears rhetorical. That is not enough to convince me of Jesus actually being God. (Although, I do believe he was sent from God)
What's lacking? What would convince you that Jesus and God are one?

I am not being sarcastic......

,,,,,,, what form He/She takes matters not.

Am not being sarcastic as well, I put a smiley, I hope you ponder on following John verse : )

What you mean He/She?

You want to be politically correct?
This things are not political : )

John 4
New International Version (NIV)
Jesus Talks With a Samaritan Woman

21 “Woman,” Jesus replied, “believe me, a time is coming when you will worship the Father neither on this mountain nor in Jerusalem. 22 You Samaritans worship what you do not know; we worship what we do know, for salvation is from the Jews. 23 Yet a time is coming and has now come when the true worshipers will worship the Father in the Spirit and in truth, for they are the kind of worshipers the Father seeks. 24 God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in the Spirit and in truth.”

Last edited:
Back