Made In God's Image?

bobinfaith

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Hello brothers and sisters;

I'd like to ask the question in the section of three Scriptures. When we read Genesis 1:26-27, God created man in His own image. But later in Genesis 2:7 and Genesis 2:21-23, God formed the man from the ground and the breath of life and then took the rib from the man and made woman.

Genesis 1:26-27, 26 Then God said, “Let us make man in our image, after our likeness. And let them have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over the livestock and over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.” 27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them. - ESV

But later in Genesis 2:7, 7 then the Lord God formed the man of dust from the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living creature. - ESV

Then in Genesis 2:21-23, 21 So the Lord God caused a deep sleep to fall upon the man, and while he slept took one of his ribs and closed up its place with flesh. 22 And the rib that the Lord God had taken from the man he made into a woman and brought her to the man. 23 Then the man said, “This at last is bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh; she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.” - ESV

Where in God's order of creation and Scripture in Genesis did He actually make man and woman?

God bless you all and am looking forward to sharing this topic with everyone.

Hello Bob,

I will give you my take. I know that my approach is different from many brothers & sisters, including many godly leaders of the church. I do not wish to offend any of them, not set myself up as some kind of authority, but each time I read the creation story in the Bible, what seems clear to me is not what seems clear to my respected brothers.

Let me first address your formulation of your actual question:

Where in God's order of creation and Scripture in Genesis did He actually make man and woman?

The key I would like to address is the word 'order'. The word order can be used to imply a sequence. It can also be used to denote a set of rules and procedures as in 'order of worship' which may contain and specify sequences but is more about the purpose and methods of formal worship.

In the case of the creation of mankind, Gen 1:26-27, Gen 2:7 and Gen 2:21-23 it is one even that is described three times, each form a particular point of view.

Gen 1:26-27 is part of the telling of God creating CREATION (the whole) and specifying man's place in it.

Gen 2:26-27 tells us that the material man is made from is the same that was created in Gen 1 (and not a separate ex-nihilo creation). It also points to the fact that our spirit was breathed into us by God. In my view, it is not necessarily talking about animating dead matter but placing a spiritual aspect within us.

Gen 2:21-23 talks about the closeness of woman to our souls. It is different from other animals. Even though one may have a kind of relationship to, for example, a horse or pet cat, woman is part of man and man is forever linked to woman.

I look at this as one event told from several viewpoints: Our place in the universe, our constitution, woman's place at man's side.

Genesis 1:26-27, 26 Then God said, “Let us make man in our image, after our likeness. And let them have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over the livestock and over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.” 27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.
Looks like a summary of what's to follow just like ...

In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.
(Gen 1:1)
Is also a summary of what is to follow.

Are you asking what order God created humans? He made them last out of everything He created.
As for men and women, he made man first then woman. He saved the best for last.

Are you thinking God made a lot of men and women (imagine that he had lots but at that point they were lifeless, like dolls) and then when He finished creating the earth, plants and animals, He breathed life into man? I think it just started with one man, Adam first. Then He made Eve out of Adam, and then they multiplied. But I don't think God was planning on that necessarily.

I think at one point it really got out of hand and God sent a flood...to start over again.

When it says God created man in his own image, well that is just what God did with Adam. It's not actually a separate narrative. He didn't do it twice.

As for men and women, he made man first then woman. He saved the best for last.
:ROFLMAO: 🤣 :ROFLMAO:
I think at one point it really got out of hand and God sent a flood...to start over again.
I think that point was in Eden...

The woman saw that the tree was good for food and delightful to look at, and that it was desirable for obtaining wisdom. So she took some of its fruit and ate it; she also gave some to her husband, who was with her, and he ate it. (Gen 3:6)

:ROFLMAO: 🤣 :ROFLMAO:

I think that point was in Eden...

The woman saw that the tree was good for food and delightful to look at, and that it was desirable for obtaining wisdom. So she took some of its fruit and ate it; she also gave some to her husband, who was with her, and he ate it. (Gen 3:6)
God waited a few generations until He sent the flood.
If He'd sent it the moment they ate or when Cain killed Abel, well...I don't know. I think it shows God was merciful and patient...it was a while before He soon had enough of us humans messing up everything.

God waited a few generations until He sent the flood.
If He'd sent it the moment they ate or when Cain killed Abel, well...I don't know. I think it shows God was merciful and patient...it was a while before He soon had enough of us humans messing up everything.
Well, the problem is, a sinful nature and death came upon all mankind through Adam and Eve's sin in the Garden...

Romans 5:12 (KJV) Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:

Romans 5:14 (KJV) Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over them that had not sinned after the similitude of Adam's transgression, who is the figure of him that was to come.

Well, the problem is, a sinful nature and death came upon all mankind through Adam and Eve's sin in the Garden...

Romans 5:12 (KJV) Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:

Romans 5:14 (KJV) Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over them that had not sinned after the similitude of Adam's transgression, who is the figure of him that was to come.
well yea but God didn't nip it in the bud right there and then.
They had to learn from their mistakes, or other peoples even if was painful.

Thats just being human though.

If God had just stopped creating after the animals and plants, creation wouldn't have been complete. I'm sure it would have been very beautiful and peaceful (for the plants and animals!) but it would have been missing something.

Hello Bob,
Let me first address your formulation of your actual question: The key I would like to address is the word 'order'. The word order can be used to imply a sequence. It can also be used to denote a set of rules and procedures as in 'order of worship' which may contain and specify sequences but is more about the purpose and methods of formal worship. In the case of the creation of mankind, Gen 1:26-27, Gen 2:7 and Gen 2:21-23 it is one even that is described three times, each form a particular point of view. Gen 1:26-27 is part of the telling of God creating CREATION (the whole) and specifying man's place in it. Gen 2:26-27 tells us that the material man is made from is the same that was created in Gen 1 (and not a separate ex-nihilo creation). It also points to the fact that our spirit was breathed into us by God. In my view, it is not necessarily talking about animating dead matter but placing a spiritual aspect within us. Gen 2:21-23 talks about the closeness of woman to our souls. It is different from other animals. Even though one may have a kind of relationship to, for example, a horse or pet cat, woman is part of man and man is forever linked to woman. I look at this as one event told from several viewpoints: Our place in the universe, our constitution, woman's place at man's side.
Looks like a summary of what's to follow just like ...
In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.
(Gen 1:1) Is also a summary of what is to follow.
Are you asking what order God created humans? He made them last out of everything He created. As for men and women, he made man first then woman. He saved the best for last. Are you thinking God made a lot of men and women (imagine that he had lots but at that point they were lifeless, like dolls) and then when He finished creating the earth, plants and animals, He breathed life into man? I think it just started with one man, Adam first. Then He made Eve out of Adam, and then they multiplied. But I don't think God was planning on that necessarily. I think at one point it really got out of hand and God sent a flood...to start over again. When it says God created man in his own image, well that is just what God did with Adam. It's not actually a separate narrative. He didn't do it twice.

Hello everyone;

I am implying a sequence of God's Creation by following the Scriptures in order from Genesis 1:26-27, Genesis 2:7 and Genesis 2:21-23. God made man and woman in His image Genesis 1:26-27, then He breathed the breath of life in man becoming a living creature followed by taking a rib from man and made a woman.

crossnote - "a summary of what is to follow" and Lanolin - "He made them last out of everything He created," I feel what you both posted may align with my interpretation of the order sequence of God's creation.

When we look at my implication of sequence and order of God's Word, does it seem He repeats His Creation?

But, from reading Siloam post, if I'm understanding his view of God's creation that;

1. man and woman in His image.
2. breathing the breath of life thus man became a living creature.
God took the rib from man and made into a woman.

Siloam is sharing that these Scriptures is not so much an "order or process," but a culmination and building up of layers (points of view) in the spiritual formation. Good point.

This topic is early going and am open to more views of these three passages - Genesis 1:26-27, Genesis 2:7 and Genesis 2:21-23.

God bless you all.

A thing that I usually stop and ponder when reading Genesis is the meaning of image in Gen 1:26,27.

I always am reminded of Colossians 1:15
(speaking concerning Jesus):
Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature

What is the meaning of image? Is the image of Gen 1:26,27 the same as in Colossians?
If mankind, in general, was made in the Image of God, did we need another image (in Christ?).
Was the attribute of the Image of God given at man's creation, but was lost (when we sinned?)

My assumption is that some attributes of God are to be seen within man, although it is a poor reflection.
Those attributes stem from man's spirit that was breathed into man (Gen 2:7). Remember that the word translated as spirit means breath or wind. This nature is expressed by our ability to perceive spiritual, moral dimension in our actions.

Christ provides a sharper image giving a clearer view of what God wants us to be.

Hello Bob,

I will give you my take. I know that my approach is different from many brothers & sisters, including many godly leaders of the church. I do not wish to offend any of them, not set myself up as some kind of authority, but each time I read the creation story in the Bible, what seems clear to me is not what seems clear to my respected brothers.

Let me first address your formulation of your actual question:

The key I would like to address is the word 'order'. The word order can be used to imply a sequence. It can also be used to denote a set of rules and procedures as in 'order of worship' which may contain and specify sequences but is more about the purpose and methods of formal worship.

In the case of the creation of mankind, Gen 1:26-27, Gen 2:7 and Gen 2:21-23 it is one even that is described three times, each form a particular point of view.

Gen 1:26-27 is part of the telling of God creating CREATION (the whole) and specifying man's place in it.

Gen 2:26-27 tells us that the material man is made from is the same that was created in Gen 1 (and not a separate ex-nihilo creation). It also points to the fact that our spirit was breathed into us by God. In my view, it is not necessarily talking about animating dead matter but placing a spiritual aspect within us.

Gen 2:21-23 talks about the closeness of woman to our souls. It is different from other animals. Even though one may have a kind of relationship to, for example, a horse or pet cat, woman is part of man and man is forever linked to woman.

I look at this as one event told from several viewpoints: Our place in the universe, our constitution, woman's place at man's side.

Good question. A lot of people have confused what the Bible actually says because of a lack of "terminolgy" ability.
In God’s creation order, earth does not mean planet earth. According to Gen. 1:9-10, EARTH is a term that was used to refer to DRY LAND.

Also, HEAVEN is not outer space. Heaven refers to the SKY.

6th day =
Genesis 1:26–31 ..............
"Then God said, “Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.” 27 So God created man in His own image".

Now this may not be what you are looking for Bob, but in Genesis 2:7 when God breathed His own breath of life into man, man then became something different than all the other living beings.

Man is more than “dust” or physical substance. Man has a spirit. We can picture it this way: .......
Adam’s body had just been formed by God from the dust of the earth—a lifeless human body lying on the ground. Then God leaned over and “breathed” His own “breath of life” into the man’s nostrils; God is the Source of life, and He directly placed life within man. This breath of life is seen again in John 20:22 as Jesus imparts new life to His disciples.

Then Gen. 2:7 also tells us that man became a living soul. The word soul in Hebrew is nephesh, meaning “an animated, breathing, conscious, and living being.” Man did not become a living soul until God breathed life into him. As a physical, animate, rational, and spiritual being, man is unique among all living things upon the earth. It is this thing called the "Soul" that makes us US!

So, what is the breath of God? It is the life and power of God, given to man to animate him. The Hebrew word for spirit is ruach, which means “wind, breath, air, spirit.” The life of God lives on and on; the immaterial part of man was designed to live eternally. The only question is where will we live which is why God gave us all the "Freedom of Choice".

Hello brothers and sisters;

The Bible always opens up with something new when we study, learn and apply in our daily walk with Jesus.

The three passages in Genesis is becoming more clear to me;

In Genesis 1:26-27 when God said, Let us make man in our image He was establishing the plural Let Us and Our image, after our likeness is consistent with One God in three Persons, the Trinity. God was not actually creating the flesh of man and woman, but establishing His Creation of Spirituality.

It was in Genesis 2:7 and 2:21-23 that God formed the flesh of man "breathed into the nostrils the breath of life" and "taking the rib from man" and making woman becoming living beings.

At first I was reading these passages and thought God was repeating the process but now am learning there is a distinguished difference between the created spiritual and physical.

I still need to dig deeper for further learning.

Any more thoughts would be appreciated.

God bless you all.

God was not actually creating the flesh of man and woman, but establishing His Creation of Spirituality.
Bob, I'm scratching my head at the term "Creation of Spirituality".
Could you explain that a bit?
I realize the created order has a beginning and an end, but does man's soul/spirit have an end?

Bob, I'm scratching my head at the term "Creation of Spirituality".
Could you explain that a bit?
I realize the created order has a beginning and an end, but does man's soul/spirit have an end?

Hello crossnote;

What I meant by the Creation of Spirituality is my definition - when God created man in our image. Its not the creation of the flesh, but of the spirit (and as we have included in this topic the soul.)

I personally believe a Christian's spirit/soul are resurrected to Christ in heaven and have an eternity, not an end.

Does this help, crossnote?

Bob...might be on a tangent here...
But do you think someone's spirit can go into the body (flesh) of an animal? What if...me, Lanolin, instead of being outwardly human, was in the body of a lamb, or a cat, or a bird?

Would you still recognise me? I'd have an animals body, but it would still be me...?
I suppose that is getting into reincarnation, but this is sort of what Hindus and others believe.
Also, does that mean animals and plants don't have spirits?

Bob...might be on a tangent here...
But do you think someone's spirit can go into the body (flesh) of an animal? What if...me, Lanolin, instead of being outwardly human, was in the body of a lamb, or a cat, or a bird?

Would you still recognise me? I'd have an animals body, but it would still be me...?
I suppose that is getting into reincarnation, but this is sort of what Hindus and others believe.
Also, does that mean animals and plants don't have spirits?

Hey Lanolin;

God made man in His image and to have dominion over animals.

See Genesis 1:26-27, 26 Then God said, “Let us make man in our image, after our likeness. And let them have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over the livestock and over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.” 27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them. - ESV

If God could put Lanolin in the body of a lamb, cat or bird, then in my thinking, does it reverse, who would have dominion?

If God willed us to be put into an animal's body then I strongly feel you would not be you nor would I recognize you because your brain, thought and conscious would all be different in how you behave not as Lanolin, but as an animal.

If God willed animals to have a soul or a spirit, then no doubt God would have written additional Scripture explaining His purpose and plan of animals as they coexist with human dominion.

I do think about this, cannot God have a special relationship between Him and animals? With God being God, this could happen.

I think if I was a cat, lamb or bird I wouldn't have dominion, but me not having dominion wouldn't necessarily change my soul or spirit. (You can't SEE spirit, it's invisible, it doesn't have an image).

There is the scripture that says God cares for the sparrows. Not one of them falls without his knowledge. So if the sparrows have a relationship with their creator, then every other creature He created must have as well.

A providential relationship is not necessarily a personal relationship.
That is why God sent his only son, so that people could relate to Him as their Father.
Before that, people didn't view God as their Father. Maybe a Big Chief or Boss, or All Powerful Mighty Being, but not a Dad.

Moses first encountered God in a burning bush! One way to get Moses attention.

Gen 1: 27 when God first created man he was a complete unit, not in these flesh bodies that we are familiar with.
Remember after the resurrection when Jesus appeared to the disciples he would walk through walls and still eat fish.
Let me identify that as 'part' of the image of God.
Gen 2 : 7 God gave man a 'natural' body to inhabit - so that the fall and redemption might be made manifest. For God is not only a Creator but also a Redeemer so these attributes must be displayed.

Back