Making A Transition From Hating Myself To Hating The Act Of Sin

When I was beginning my walk with the Lord, my pastor told me I had to hate the sin I was struggling with like God hates it. I loved a particular sin for a long, long time in my life. It wasn't that I took pleasure in disobeying God - but I loved participating in immoral acts because of the pleasure.

The first thing God did for me is lift the "love" off of that sin. I no longer love that sin, because there's too much not to like about it. I started hating myself for this sin, or when I still fall to it. This isn't what my pastor wanted to happen, but I know this is what is happening. I hate myself when I cannot control my urges.

How do I make the hate fall on the sin act and not on myself?

Well, not sure to be honest with you since I have yet to figure it out myself.

However: I can tell you that when we are busy 'serving' our fellow man with compassion and care-we lose track of the sinful things because we are no longer focused on our 'selfs'. We don't necessarily forget the sin-but we don't 'give place' to that sin when we are pursuing the Lord with all of our heart.

Pray for others....
Serve in some sort of ministry...
Spread the Gospel...
Read your Bible...
Support overseas missionaries-even if it is only with prayer...
Get involved in a local volunteer program (as long as it doesn't distract you from your local Church)...
Learn to read or play some good ole fashion revival music...
Be a blessing to others...

When we are busy dong the Lord's work and focused on Him-we take the focus off of our sin.

When I was beginning my walk with the Lord, my pastor told me I had to hate the sin I was struggling with like God hates it. I loved a particular sin for a long, long time in my life. It wasn't that I took pleasure in disobeying God - but I loved participating in immoral acts because of the pleasure.

The first thing God did for me is lift the "love" off of that sin. I no longer love that sin, because there's too much not to like about it. I started hating myself for this sin, or when I still fall to it. This isn't what my pastor wanted to happen, but I know this is what is happening. I hate myself when I cannot control my urges.

of God ..
God desires you to feel remorse for sin, which leads to repentance, which leads to forgiveness, which leads to joy ..

of satan ..
satan doesn't want you to feel remorse, but if you do, he doesn't want you to repent, but if you do, you are forgiven, and when you are, he does not want you to believe Jesus actually takes those sins forever, so he wants you to feel guilt not joy ..

you see, repentance turned to joy is Faith and Thanksgiving ..
while repentance that clings to guilt is disbelief and sadness ..

God Bless you ..

2Cr 7:9 I now rejoice, not that you were made sorrowful, but that you were made sorrowful to the point of repentance; for you were made sorrowful according to the will of God, so that you might not suffer loss in anything through us.

1John 1:9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

The first thing God did for me is lift the "love" off of that sin. I no longer love that sin,
I hate myself when I cannot control my urges.

temptation in itself is not a sin .. Jesus was tempted ..
so you hate yourself because satan tempts you (urges) ???
THAT MAKES NO SENSE ..

the more you love God, the harder it becomes to let sin into your heart ..
sin only happens when you agree/embrace it in your heart ..
then you are defiled/sinned .. and God will also help you ..

so much like my last post to you .. satan is trying to make you feel guilt for him tempting you (don't fall for that) and thus robbing you of your joy ..

you are in essence "allowing satan to make you take the blame for him tempting you" .. in psychology that would be - reverse blame transfer ..

Jam 4:7 Submit therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.

Last edited:
When God starts "Pricking your Conscience" about sins...
YOU will start feeling guilty and you will start doing things....
You will TRY to reform yourself.... and you will slide back into Sin..... and you will hate yourself for this.....
Lather, Rinse, repeat....

UNTIL.... You finally become disgusted with the utter, total depravity of yourself... AND... Realize your total inability to make ANY real progress on your own.... this is a NECESSARY STEP... Trying to rid yourself of the Hate is NOT the right solution....

At this point, you will cry out to God.... Confessing your own inability to achieve any results on your own strength or merit..... AND... You will beg for GOD to Grant you repentance for YOUR sin.... because you are unable to repent from ingrained sin WITHOUT GOD... You have no power in yourself to achieve this.... 100% of Real Repentance comes from God.

That's when God will START to give you the ability to START Overcoming and succeed in Overcoming.... Now... Overcoming is a Life Long Process.... That's why Paul talks about "Be overcoming" - not Overcame.....

A Caution.... Once God grants you Repentance - it's not always once and done.... You still have the flesh, the world, and the Devil... You will STILL have to lean HARD on God's strength to CONTINUE overcoming... God will give you the strength to DIG IN and Fight and Lean on Him... He will give you ways to escape.... He will hammer you with scriptural reminders when your mind starts wandering... You will have to go back to God frequently praying for continued Repentance.... The difference is that you will now start making progress.....

Thanks

Back